Another illustration - Page 2

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Another illustration

If you havenít had the pleasure of being introduced to one of these critters, then see:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gila_monster

[click to enlarge]
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09GilaScene01.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	20782

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Yes, another illustration for my book. May be ho-hum to you, but it’s the fun part to me

Name:	OwlPreview.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	20849

Site:
    Hidden Content

You can never please everyone One of my friends (an arborist) in my email circle replied with the following comment.
    "Nice Lee. I was trying to figure out what kind of Tree the owl sits in."

My reply, that might interest other artists, was:
    "You would notice that While I focused on depicting a Northern Hawk Owl as realistically as I could, the trees are more a simpler blotched bark pattern than scaled, and the leaves simper also.

If you blow the image way up to the resolution I work at, you might see where I created a bark pattern of blurred blotches for one trunk, then scaled, contorted, and varied raster aspects (brightness, hue, and saturation) in applying such to other trunks and branches. Similarly with the leaves, I drew a dozen, then varied them in like fashion as I placed them.

Sorry not to to give your trees the same realistic attention as the owl These illustrations take weeks of time each on average, and I’ve got a good many to go."

Site:
    Hidden Content

I think you did a remarkable job.... Lee, you are quite an artist... I love the colors... I hope you are enjoying doing these, I know how hard it is, I am helping my sister illustrate her children's book...thanks for sharing...
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Yet another illustration done with only umpteen to go Night scenes are more difficult, at least for me, because one is working with a reduced shading range.

[click to enlarge]

Name:	EarlyMornSceneWF.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	20959

"Seemingly alone on the western edge of what's known as the Wyoming Basin, in the enveloping blackness of a clear moonless night, Calan felt as if he was floating amongst infinite celestial hosts. Yet at the same time there was the grounding awareness of higher peaks' stark silhouettes, the pungent smell of sagebrush, night sounds of a coyote's plaintive call, and the distinctive territorial "ho-hoo hoo hoo" of a Great Horned Owl."

Site:
    Hidden Content

Not one of the better illustrations I’ve done for my book Togwotee Passage, but I think it serves its purpose.

[click to enlarge]

Name:	C02KitchenScene.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	21287

Site:
    Hidden Content

I think it is absolutely charming! And I love all the details... the skillets hanging and the rocking chair... Are you almost done? And how do you decide exactly WHAT to illustrate....

I just noticed the tiny plant in the kitchen window
    hidden in her eyes....

Author unknown.

Thank you Fire I try to illustrate what might be unfamiliar to today's readers, helping them visualize the story better. Although sometimes my choices are things I want to draw. Hopefully the two approaches coincide, like with the critters. Readers could find images of the critters online, but how many would bother looking?

This particular illustration is from a childhood memory, and is intended to portray some of what is said between the lines of my story

I'm a good ways from being done, with only around a fourth of the illustrations drawn that I want to include. It takes me a few weeks or more for each illustration. Take for instance an element of an illustration, like the rocking chair. It took me days to get it, and its shadow, to my liking.

I post them here to see what reactions there may be**, then I post them on social media. The latter part of my branding effort, and it's helping considerably. I've gotten dozens of messages asking when the book will be published. Building an interested audience beforehand is something I didn't 't do the first time around.

I hope your effort on the book you are helping illustrate is coming along well.

Take care

** I show them to my grandson first, him being my most forthright critic Hey, after all, the book is for the sake of our children and the world they will have to get by in.

Site:
    Hidden Content

Thank your for the info, Lee... I am always curious about other people's creative process... and I did not really know how one goes about making decisions about what to illustrate... I admire your skill, and dedication to detail...

The illustrations for my sister's book are kinda on the back burner... her Husband has some health issues, so... but we will get there, some day...

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, I appreciate it
    hidden in her eyes....

Author unknown.

Dear Lee,
    Calan under the stars is my favorite so far. You did an
    outstanding job on the sky. It looks looks like a photo
    as does the sagebrush.... very nice.
    They’re all good but I also like the trees and leaves
    behind the owl, very realistic.
    Your grandson( I assume) in the backyard,nice shading

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast