Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open: Journal of Art & Literature (Call for Submissions)

It's not an opportunity. It's usury. Your position is indefensible. Writers should be paid for their work. It's a profession. It's really that simple. No amount of doubletalk and excuse-making is going to change that.
    I've submitted the url to groups that monitor such usurious activities. They're impartial. We'll see what happens.

Help support good writing: Test Patterns.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I'm a contributing editor for the journal. I'm contributing my own work for free. (I get paid for my other work elsewhere.) Good that you've asked for an *unbiased* opinion, Moderan. (I assume that's not your real name.) Don't ignore the journal then. That's your choice too. Report them if that's your desire. I look forward to seeing what you're told by your group of monitors. It seems simple to me. Don't pay a fee and don't send your work. This is likely my last post. I find I'm not liking the insinuations made against me.

Isn't a vanity press defined by the condition that the author is paying the costs of being published? That's what I understood.
    thisWomanCodes
    A twice-weekly programming blog
    Infield Singles: Baseball Poems myFoodWeek.com
    A weekly menu for a family of four
    Eclectica: Genre Poetry

Hey, all. I am wrong for posting this opportunity here. One of the moderators asked me to post it here (I'd originally posted the info to a private group I belong to). But it's clear it's info not wanted here at all. Sorry for alarming everyone!

Okay, the info I posted on this publishing opportunity is gone now (my info posts deleted). Now maybe we can get back to normal again. Nice meeting everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelyn Casto View Post
    Okay, the info I posted on this publishing opportunity is gone now (my info posts deleted). Now maybe we can get back to normal again. Nice meeting everyone!
    All that and a flounce too. Nice.

The url was submitted to Writers Beware for further checking. It's not "my" group -- looking into things like this is what they do. I've also set them onto Submittable, which seems like a complete crock. At least then professionals can be warned...it's pretty hard to reach the tyros that sites like this prey on, unless one posts to places like this. I don't like seeing people ripped off.

The post below the OP had the info. It doesn't come out in the wash.

A new publication titled Open: A Journal of Art & Literature is now open and ready for submissions. My job will be as a contributing editor for flash fiction. With this new journal there's a whole team of dedicated people ready to make it a unique success. The journal accepts flash fiction (1,000 words or fewer), short stories, haibun, poetry, and art. Do consider sending something. (They also plan to nominate for various literary awards.) Here's the link to their Submittable page: https://ojalartsjournal.submittable.com/submit
    Now I'm done, unless I get an email from WB. Watch out for that doorknob.

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

You're amusing, Moderan (I'm guessing that's not your real name-- using real names takes courage.) If you've not heard of Submittable you've clearly not submitted much work (such as poetry or short stories). Many literary journals use their services and many charge reading fees. It's good that you're going to finally investigate things like this through your monitors you told us about. Maybe you'll learn something. Or maybe more likely you won't.

I'm so surprised that a three dollar reading fee is so precious to you-- and I even told you how you could avoid paying it! Funny too how I deleted the journal info that seems to have terrified you and here you are reprinting the information on it. You didn't even have to do that because it's quoted in the beginning of the thread (I can't delete that). Carry on with your "usury" investigation. And keep up the advertising for the journal that frightens you so. Then maybe find something productive to do. I've wasted enough time with your nonsense, Moderan (or whatever your name actually is-- it's so easy to be a troll when not using your own name). I'm surprised this kind of troll stuff is okay with the moderators. Oh, well. Trust me, I'll never post another call for submissions opportunity here. From here on out I'll post them only to the private group I'm in. So your worries are over, Moderan! (If that's your name).

Yeah, Submittable is used by the New Yorker, Glimmer Train, McSweeney's, Granta, Tin House, all well known publications. So I think Submittable is a legitimate service.

Quote Originally Posted by gohn67 View Post
    Yeah, Submittable is used by the New Yorker, Glimmer Train, McSweeney's, Granta, Tin House, all well known publications. So I think Submittable is a legitimate service.
    Maybe. Don't have to like them though. That's not my orbit, so I'll cop to ignorance. Mea culpa.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelyn Casto View Post
    You're amusing, Moderan (I'm guessing that's not your real name-- using real names takes courage.) If you've not heard of Submittable you've clearly not submitted much work (such as poetry or short stories). Many literary journals use their services and many charge reading fees. It's good that you're going to finally investigate things like this through your monitors you told us about. Maybe you'll learn something. Or maybe more likely you won't.

I'm so surprised that a three dollar reading fee is so precious to you-- and I even told you how you could avoid paying it! Funny too how I deleted the journal info that seems to have terrified you and here you are reprinting the information on it. You didn't even have to do that because it's quoted in the beginning of the thread (I can't delete that). Carry on with your "usury" investigation. And keep up the advertising for the journal that frightens you so. Then maybe find something productive to do. I've wasted enough time with your nonsense, Moderan (or whatever your name actually is-- it's so easy to be a troll when not using your own name). I'm surprised this kind of troll stuff is okay with the moderators. Oh, well. Trust me, I'll never post another call for submissions opportunity here. From here on out I'll post them only to the private group I'm in. So your worries are over, Moderan! (If that's your name).
    My real name isn't a secret...when the name-calling starts, you've already lost. I thought you were leaving? If you've wasted enough time with this nonsense, why are you still posting about it? And etc. Sheesh.

I'm not going to comment on my opinion of the legitimacy of the journal, or of Submittable mostly because I don't have one yet. But I will raise a couple of points that give me pause: First, it has been industry practice for a long time to be wary of publications which charge reading fees, and yes, that may be changing (I'm not sure how much) and yes, some very well known journals do charge reading fees. The operative phrase there is 'well known journals'. Those who submit know up front that their work is going to a valid publication. I'm not assuming this journal isn't valid, mind you, it's just that, at this time it's a bit like buying a pig-in-a-poke (albeit a low priced pig). WF is home to many new, inexperienced and enthusiastic writers. Some of whom are desperate to see their work in print. These folks are often easy prey for predatory publishers (same disclaimer here about OJAL, I'm not accusing anyone of anything), and for many years more experienced writers have offered cautions about reading fees, and pay-to-play situations. I think that's all that is happening here.

My second concern is a bit of a math problem. If OJAL is only planning on publishing the top 1% of submissions (am I correct in my understanding that there is no publishing track record yet?), then the journal is looking for very skilled writers and artists indeed. What I don't understand is the motivation for the top 1% to submit to a venue which not only doesn't pay, but charges fees for submission? Most of the journals I know of which charge submission fees (other than nonprofit, university affiliated publications) also pay for accepted work. The pay from a small journal usually isn't much, but it is something. If I am a working writer, selling regularly, and find a journal I like and would like to support, then I could understand the 'sacrifice', but most people reading this are not working writers -- and not in that top 1% yet -- so the math seems off, in my opinion.

All that being said, I will point out that a $3 submission fee isn't much greater than submitting a printed MS by the time you calculate the cost of postage (with SASE), paper, envelopes, printer ink, etc. Although most submissions these days are via email.

It is, of course, the individual writer's decision as to which publications s/he wants to submit.
    Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

https://www.amazon.com/author/terrydurbin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12