Iambic Pentameter - Write Two Lines
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Iambic Pentameter - Write Two Lines

I am studying a poetry theory book by Stephen Fry. One of the exercises in the book is to write single lines and pairs of lines of iambic pentameter which are unrhymed

- That are conversational
    - some that are simple
    - some more complicated in construction
    - silly
    - descriptive

If you are a new poet and unfamiliar with iambic pentameter check out Wiki (Iambic pentameter) and Poetry Kaleidoscope

I challenge you to write two lines and share them to this thread. Who's going to be first?
    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

John Lydgate

Everybody else probably understands, but would it be possible to give an example?

I've never written a poem before, or at least not since grade school. But I like PIP so at the risk of being completely wrong and appearing somewhat... stupid, here goes.

He promised freedom in a road called sea
    With a plan of illusion, and pocket of need

Hey... I should get something for trying and if it isn't a footstep counting pentameter, feel free to start over.

this morning I forgot to eat my pork
    I took it with me on my bike to school

(commiserate excruciating pain
    the agonizing disappearance hurts (that one is debatable))

remember always step outside the box
    and eat a homemade cheesy roll instead

(oops sorry, that's six, which two shall I keep? I'll delete the rest)
    Last edited by Darren White; August 14th, 2017 at 06:03 AM.
    "Sign language is the equal of speech, lending itself equally to the rigorous and the poetic, to philosophical analysis or to making love."
    - Oliver Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by Freethesea View Post
    I've never written a poem before, or at least not since grade school. But I like PIP so at the risk of being completely wrong and appearing somewhat... stupid, here goes.
    Hey, don't worry. Iambic pentameter is harder than it looks.

He prom/ised free/dom in/ a road/ called sea

This one is correct

Stick to one and two syllable words at the moment. Think about the stressed accents and where they fall on the these words.

i am crap at this.... summons Darren or one of our poetry mentors for a better explanation
    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

John Lydgate

Upon a clifftop drawing in my eye
    a lonely willow wept despairing tears.

Ok, it's not exactly brilliant , but it is an example. Ten syllables per line. Syllables 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 are stressed.

I find this style of verse too long to use,
    And so because my lines are short I lose.

(I know that on this thread lines should not rhyme,
    But for my part I do it all the time.)

... and I'm also fully aware that the stresses in the second couplet are probably wrong, but am I bothered? You only asked for one.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

I have my hands, some paper and a pen
    Today I write a five feet blank verse poem
    (ehhhh.... isn't exactly right, but still fun)

Today I write a five feet blankverse ode (thanks Phil : )
    Last edited by Darren White; August 20th, 2017 at 11:12 AM.
    "Sign language is the equal of speech, lending itself equally to the rigorous and the poetic, to philosophical analysis or to making love."
    - Oliver Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    I am studying a poetry theory book by Stephen Fry.
    Me curious, is it "The Ode Less Travelled?" Or a different book?
    - Oliver Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by Freethesea View Post
    Freethesea,
    Your second line changed into a cool other meter with a nice musical quality to it: Anapest
    That meter has two syllables in a row without an accent/stress, then followed by one with accent/stress. It swings!
    - Oliver Sacks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast