conflict and asking for more tips on elements of fiction. - Page 2

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: conflict and asking for more tips on elements of fiction.

All the books I have don't explain the elements of a story well enough or how to write one. The titles of the books below supposedly are the best books some people specialized in the craft have read. Craft books don't work well enough. I am concentrating my efforts more on grammar. Anyways the books I ordered them based on the lavish praise they got and there are excerpts on the Internet. This is a French filmmaker who is the author who graduated in Columbia university. He might be the most qualified to explain. I thought I'd share it here since I am thinking people might be in my situation. I can't afford writing workshops though I am making a savings account.

The book has a good quality of reviewers who have completed a script and have gone to film school and are script consultants in some cases. So here are the two books. It ships from France so I am still waiting until I get them to apply what is in the books. The books ship from France. The first one is for beginners, but go to goodreads to read the reviews and blogs. It still is the best book on craft according to them. I also read he is a French filmmaker so he has a lot of experiences and wrote his book on how write a story based on movies.
    Constructing a Story
    By Yves Lavandier
    Writing Drama; a Comprehensive Guide for Playwrights and Scriptwriters
    By Yves Lavandier

edit: no one buy this book. Apologies in advance as it wasn't what I expected.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; September 11th, 2017 at 02:37 AM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

In one book, two brothers are in a hospice letting their father die. They are very different, they don't like each other, and we get a lot of what I would like to call "conflict". No one reads to find out who wins -- we all know the "win" is them stopping their arguing and starting to support each other.

I want to say, that we, as writers, often make the reader wonder "what's going to happen?" One example is a conflict where the reader wants to know who wins. The Hook Theory of writing?

Is there too much attention to the hook and resolution? Another question is how to make a scene interesting. And conflict is often a way. One of my scenes, the issue was whether my main character would have her baby taken away from her. I improved the scene simply by having the antagonist arguing that it should be taken away.
    How to write a good start: Hidden Content . Useful, original information. Long and thorough.
    Includes Hidden Content (do you start with description?), Hidden Content (a favorite with publishers apparently), starting with Hidden Content (a lost art), and more.

Most of my critiques have been on grammar issues in my work that distract the reader. I plan to work a different way. I plan on addressing all the issues but by writing what I feel inspired by rather than writing the elusive science fiction story. I don't understand the genre and how people can work out a method to be productive or even write a few stories in that genre. It use to be a dream. But to progress I will write different genres. This is all in the need of progress and evolving improving and even writing poetry can help. It is called experimenting by some. I need to, do this to get more writing done.

To address the critiques. I will try to get feedback and can post small excerpts of description to get feedback. I write but don't like what I write so I am searching for a voice, or maybe a story or novel that will influence me in a good way. That will make me become a writer of more than one genre. What will give me a sense of meaning after completing the work. The reason I want to write is to put my emotions on paper. That sounds easy but some genres need for the characters to have a sense of morality. Which is what I am trying to do.

I appreciate what you are saying Emma sohan and it is one more thing I am thinking under consideration. It is very good advice. I've got some questions with regards to that. I want to think of the definition of conflict as if to critically think what conflict is since it confuses me, as does desire.

Tell me someone if this is true or false, for them.
    Who wins is a battle of wills there are always losers in the story world more than one if need be. ( hence why we see cause and effect) this is implied in your example. The antagonist is a central struggle but is not always needed in the story world.

The struggle continues where we left off from one scene to the other.

This can be any character's frustration. Which then conflict is a problem which can be left hanging like a dramatic question. It remains unresolved until several scenes later for example. This brings consequences. After all the dramatic question is a concern for someone in the story. Which the pov hero must solve. Maybe it is someone else's problem in the story.

This question or conflict's reolution is left unanswered and can happen anywhere in the story. Not necessarily the beginning. It is left unanswered and is complicated as an issue left in uncertainty and that turns out to be one way of determining the character's goal.

I will leave this short and post more questions later on if need be.

Appreciate this.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; September 11th, 2017 at 03:09 AM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12