Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poem & Epistle: understanding the metaphor’s use

California in the Sierra Navada foothills
    Carole

Don't worry
    in doom and gloom, too much; Tweety Pie always gets away from Sylvester. Then Sylvester hangs a stupid face on himself and stares blankly into the camera.

a poet friend
    RH Peat

Ron,

Your image of a 'water hole' reminds me of Sigmund Freud's comment; he is reported to have claimed ‘the poets and philosophers before me discovered the unconscious; what I discovered was the scientific method by which the unconscious can be studied’.[1] Freud went on, admiringly, to create his own metaphor: ‘Poets are masters of us ordinary men, in knowledge of the mind, because they drink at streams which we have not yet made accessible to science’.[2] A thought process is required to convert feeling into poetry and the refreshment can be shared.

If a reader needs to read the poem more than once, the writer has to make the poem interesting or attractive enough to encourage rereading.

[1] Lehrman, Philip R. in 'Freud's Contributions to Science', in the journal 'Harofe Haivri' Vol.1, 1940. < http://www.freud.org.uk/about/faq/> consulted 18.05.2011.

[2] Trilling, Lionel, ‘Freud and Literature’, 1940 <http://www.rlwclarke.net/Courses/LIT...Literature.pdf> consulted 18.05.2011.
    Kind regards,
    Katrina
    www.WritingTank.com
    Choreographing Calligraphy

I do find it difficult creating that delicate balance that shows enough clarity that makes the reader think (even if it's misinterpreted) and being so obscure that the reader fails to care. I have read poetry here and elsewhere - many published - that seemed to say I've got a secret and you'll play heck figuring it out. Many poems and novels have been lauded by professional critics for deep meanings the piece didn't even have. Despite the difficulties I poet on, with each poem I learn more and more about the craft as I attempt to make art.
    "The blind may be leading the blind, but the seeing have been leading the seeing for years without any visible results."

"We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Walt Kelly's Pogo

"Put brain in gear before putting mouth in motion."

Anon (as far as I know)

"If you climb upon your high horse, don't be surprised if you get bucked off."

Midnightpoet (as far as I know)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12