Thread: Blood of My Blood

Blood of My Blood

Blood of My Blood
    By Yonathan Asefaw

Her eyes saw the blowing sands that whisked around like hanged laundry in the wind. Isis came walking along the Sahara with a divination in the night sky last night. Her eyes started to bleed when seeing the stars forming a deity; a man in a robe of her very same garment and Grey embroidery to find that her world was beginning to be an enlightenment for her being.

Her full name was Isis Andromeda Cleopatra, she was a human of flesh, bone, and blood but was loved by her people as a goddess in her village. She desired frivolously to became one with a god that she called “Blood of My Blood” as this god made her eyes bleed when seeing its golden constellations in the open sky.

Andromeda winced and felt the earth sway with the sands that shifted its wind around in dust among her, blinking to find that this hour walking in the dessert during the unloosened sun was taking its course on her body. She was thin and without food or water it became hopeless to find the “Blood” god to make a pact with her soul; pure as water.

“Must make it through, blood of my blood help me, I am-yours!” she said.

Her stomach churned and ‘grrrred’ in sounds, she shifted her almond eyes around the caramel sands that curved in its stretch along Egypt. A cobra was around her, she noticed it with full concentration willing to pounce and grab it to devour it whole. She was hungry and needed to survive, as for water she had to wait for her intestines to deviate and would have to drink her own urine. That was her only alternative.

She sat there with nothing but the winds of the Arabian night to take its course as day would break.

Night settled in and her time to wander the fields became even more hopeless as she sat there trying to make excuses in her head to sleep. She just could not.

All I want is to be..

She lost her train of thought and slumbered.

The next day she woke up flinching and move her hands covered in sand being untouched by the poisonous snakes but feeling groggy after cleansing herself with urine and drinking it to keep herself at thirst. Walking a couple more hours along the path to Alexandria accidentally she found herself in a city: a port-town filled with bustling bazaars and people all around chatting and filling their bellies with fish.

She came around to an outskirt of town to an abandoned house trying to get away from all of the people to the east and used her intuition to seek out a man or at least her to instincts a feeling of a presence in her way. Isis heard boos and was thrown fish oil at her from outside the persons house due to her clothes that she wore.

She gave a knock on the door.

Looking straight down when she saw the man in his tattered clothes; with a tattoo of a god that was never real. She noticed it and focused her attention at the white house with only two windows without any ceramic detail to it. She waved and hugged him while heading inside the living room to discuss her travels to a complete stranger that had let her in to begin with.

“Cleopatra, is that correct?” said the tattered man.

“I saw something in your tattoo, what does it signify?”

“You don’t know? God is not real nor is he a divination.”

“I’ve traveled far away to find one, in fact I bled from my eyes of his presence.”

“Blood of my blood?”

He raised a brow and chuckled.

“Care for a drink? Wine?”

“I drink my own urine, a thousand gratitude's.”

“You look like someone who does.”

She held his hand with raised concern and whispered.

“You laugh like he isn’t real, how dare you.”

He chuckled.

“You whisper like a believer too.”

“Why do you do this?”

“In my nature, I was like you, a broken man, not a woman delightfully.”

“You have a mouth.”

He got up and gave her a bet while walking to the door.

“I will bet you your Grey silks that people who believe in god will be thrown fish oil and booed throughout the way out of Alexandria.”

“The Blood is real.” she replied.

“Just leave and let it speak for itself.”

Isis left the man’s Greek house and walked out of the edifice with people starting to swarm and boo with fish oil thrown at her.

He was right, god was never real. she thought.

While walking along in the shame that she had felt, the people prolonged to insult and boo at her and toss more fish oil at her when heading out of the port-city. She had no choice but to walk back to her home and speak to her people about the ignorance she had caused herself but there something about dying that she must do to perverse the pain that she purged herself with. Leaving in death soporifically the Nile river was the best tactic to die an unshapely death.

She saw the river across from her view running and sparkling in the sun as she dived right in drowning herself and with that she perished floating along the river to find her family seeing her in the phantoms of her mortality gone.

Years later the water in the Nile river flowed with blood and the family never had to bear the death of her daughter Isis Andromeda Cleopatra.
    www.yonathanasefaw.com - under contruction
    twitter.com/yonathanasefaw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel223 View Post
    Blood of My Blood
    By Yonathan Asefaw

I like your title it is intriging and made me want to read your story which is a good start Yonathan.

(Whose eyes?)Her eyes saw the blowing sand(s) that whisked around like hanged laundry in the wind. Isis came walking along the Sahara with a divination in the night sky last night. Her eyes started to bleed when seeing the stars forming a deity; a man in a robe of her very same garment and Grey embroidery to find that her world was beginning to be an enlightenment for her being.

Here your writing becomes disjointed as it seems that you jump from one scene to another without taking the time to set it up properly. I would slow down your pace as you leave the reader confused. What does she find? Why do her eyes bleed from viewing this figure in the stars? There are no normal rules in this section and you haven't established any for the reader to follow which to me detracts from the writing.

Her full name was Isis Andromeda Cleopatra, she was a human of flesh, bone, and blood but was loved by her people as a goddess in her village. She desired frivolously to became one with a god that she called “Blood of My Blood” as this god made her eyes bleed when seeing its golden constellations in the open sky.
    I would lead with this rather than the above section as it introduces the character and who she is to the reader giving us someone to connect with rather than a disembodied voice. You repeat yourself in this section with her eyes bleeding, another reason I would start here.

Andromeda winced and felt the earth sway with the sands that shifted its wind around in dust among her, blinking to find that this hour walking in the dessert during the unloosened sun was taking its course on her body. She was thin (and) without food or water. Without these it became hopeless to find the “Blood” god to make a pact with her soul; pure as water.
    I thought she was called Isis? You need to establish that she goes by her second name before springing it on the reader.

“Must make it through, blood of my blood help me, I am-yours!” she said.
    Who is she calling to I thought she had not met the blood God yet? Why is her blood pure as water, be careful with using such cliched uses of words as sometimes it can detract from the writing.

Her stomach churned and ‘grrrred’ (in sounds), she shifted her almond eyes around the caramel sands that curved in its stretch along Egypt. A cobra was around her, she noticed its (with) full concentration willing to pounce and grab it to devour it whole. She was hungry and needed to survive, as for water she'd to wait for her intestines to deviate and would have to drink her own urine. That was her only alternative.

We already know it is a sound no need for the added words. I like the image of her eyes here. Delete the word with here and I think the sentence will read better. I removed the word would as it helps the overall flow in my opinion. Deviate? Why would her intestines do this? Remember simple words are just as effective. This last prt made me cringe which is good as it shows your writing is getting a response out of the reader.

She sat there with nothing but the winds of the Arabian night to take its course as daywould break.
    I like this line but I think it would read better like this: She sat there looking into the night, with nothing but the harsh wind of the Arabian night, as she waited for day to break.

Night settled in and her time to wander the fields became even more hopeless as she sat there trying to make excuses in her head to sleep. She just could not.
    Why the sudden shift in location? One minute we seem to be in a desert now we are in a place with fields, this is confusing. And the end of this senence I would change to: She just Couldn't as it fits with the pace you establish before.

All I want is to be..

She lost her train of thought and slumbered.

The next day she woke up flinching and moved her hands covered in sand being untouched by the poisonous snakes but feeling groggy after cleansing herself with urine and drinking it to keep herself at thirst. Walking a couple more hours along the path to Alexandria accidentally she found herself in a city: a port-town filled with bustling bazaars and people all around chatting and filling their bellies with fish.
    Again another switch in location it is disconcerting to the reader as just when we get comfortable with a setting and expect the story to take us somewhere the scenary changes unexpectedly. Why? Are all these locations necessary? I don't think so, I feel that it would be a much better piece if the setting remained the same.

She came around to an outskirt of town to an abandoned house trying to get away from all of the people to the east and used her intuition to seek out a man or at least her to instincts a feeling of a presence in her way. Isis heard boos and was thrown fish oil at her from outside the persons house due to her clothes that she wore.

She gave a knock on the door.

Looking straight down when she saw the man in his tattered clothes; with a tattoo of a god that was never real. She noticed it and focused her attention at the white house with only two windows without any ceramic detail to it. She waved and hugged him while heading inside the living room to discuss her travels to a complete stranger that had let her in to begin with.

“Cleopatra, is that correct?” said the tattered man.

“I saw something in your tattoo, what does it signify?”

“You don’t know? God is not real nor is he a divination.”

“I’ve traveled far away to find one, in fact I bled from my eyes of his presence.”

“Blood of my blood?”

He raised a brow and chuckled.

“Care for a drink? Wine?”

“I drink my own urine, a thousand gratitude's.”

“You look like someone who does.”

She held his hand with raised concern and whispered.

“You laugh like he isn’t real, how dare you.”

He chuckled.

“You whisper like a believer too.”

“Why do you do this?”

“In my nature, I was like you, a broken man, not a woman delightfully.”

“You have a mouth.”

He got up and gave her a bet while walking to the door.

“I will bet you your Grey silks that people who believe in god will be thrown fish oil and booed throughout the way out of Alexandria.”

“The Blood is real.” she replied.

“Just leave and let it speak for itself.”

Isis left the man’s Greek house and walked out of the edifice with people starting to swarm and boo with fish oil thrown at her.

He was right, god was never real. she thought.

While walking along in the shame that she had felt, the people prolonged to insult and boo at her and toss more fish oil at her when heading out of the port-city. She had no choice but to walk back to her home and speak to her people about the ignorance she had caused herself but there something about dying that she must do to perverse the pain that she purged herself with. Leaving in death soporifically the Nile river was the best tactic to die an unshapely death.

She saw the river across from her view running and sparkling in the sun as she dived right in drowning herself and with that she perished floating along the river to find her family seeing her in the phantoms of her mortality gone.

Years later the water in the Nile river flowed with blood and the family never had to bear the death of her daughter Isis Andromeda Cleopatra.

Yonathan, I feel that with more work this could be an amazing piece of writing you draw upon some nice imagery but then confuse the reader wih suden shifts in both character name and setting which detract from the overall tone that you set up. Please redraft this and re-post it as I think i could be great.

Sure will. Thanks for your critique.
    www.yonathanasefaw.com - under contruction
    twitter.com/yonathanasefaw

It's seems really wordy. I tend to have the same issue in my writing. Words have more impact when they are concise. If you take the shears to this thing I bet you would like it much more.