from, or than? - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: from, or than?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkin View Post
    The to comparison is making my teeth hurt... It feels like there needs to be a transitional verb in there to clarify context.

e.g. He seemed different to them. He seemed different to the other boys.
    Yes but he seemed different to them because he was different to them!

Sorry ... 2 hours sleep and all that...

EDIT: Maybe it's a problem of classification. How is he different? He is different to them in some way. He is different from them because they are tall and he is small. He is different than them because he is not a real boy.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

I'm not weighing in on the correctness of 'different to', but that combination simply doesn't sound right inside my head. If I ever had a character who felt the need to use it, I would kill him or her off in chapter two.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

No, I'm still not getting any of this. There's a difference between a structured phrase like "different from" and the coincidence of the word "than" or "to" following "different" in a sentence. Hence "He seemed different to them," is just the coincidence of the two words, not a phrase. Any sequence of words may occur by coincidence, but that doesn't prove that they form a structured phrase. For example,

"These two peas are no more different than those two."

One has to parse the sentence correctly before deducing anything about the elements used.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

I don't think I'd use it, but the example didn't bother me, so I looked it up.

"Different than is common in American English, but might sound strange to British ears, and in the UK, different to is a common alternative that is seldom used in the US. When in doubt, stick with different from. However, note that there is a time and place for different than.

Is It “Different From” or “Different Than”? | Dictionary.com Blog blog.dictionary.com/different-from-or-..."

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Jack of all trades,
    It was a quote from The Fantastical that started me off:-

I don't normally identify such things in thread, but seeing she has referred to it herself after my pm drawing attention to this thread I guess it is okay.

I am sorry, I don't follow the logic of 'from' not making sense, that one sort of writing is different from another sort of writing makes perfect sense to me, and different than still seems totally wrong.

Just look out. Turn around is fair play. Better double check all your posts for a while, to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of all trades View Post
    I don't think I'd use it, but the example didn't bother me, so I looked it up.

"Different than is common in American English, but might sound strange to British ears, and in the UK, different to is a common alternative that is seldom used in the US. When in doubt, stick with different from. However, note that there is a time and place for different than.

Is It “Different From” or “Different Than”? | Dictionary.com Blog blog.dictionary.com/different-from-or-..."
    That explains my initial aversion to 'different to'. Most British phrasing doesn't bother me -- I actually rather like much of it -- but this one clanks against my ear like a drummer's rim-shot.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

From.
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloggsworth View Post
    From.
    Damn, Bloggs, you do tend to dominate a conversation...

Hidden Content

All make sense to me. After so many years of benefiting from communication with persons less well versed in English grammatical minutiae, I'm way more forgiving than I used to be.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

For me 'he was different to the other boys' means that he behaved towards them in a way that was different from the way he behaved to some other non-specific group of boys; he behaved this way to group A, but behaved differently to group B. The 'to' relates to behaviour, not difference.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast