Are contests for new work only?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are contests for new work only?

Are contests for new work only?

Potentially odd question. Having written new pieces for the two challenges I've entered so far (I'm using the challenges as motivation to do such) this hasn't applied, yet. But say a challenge at some future date is themed so that a piece that I've already written, shared here, and gotten feedback for fits perfectly? I mean assuming it's one never entered into a contest before obviously.
    You can never hate something so thoroughly as that which destroys what you love, and who is more guilty of this crime than the stranger who was once a lover?

The spirit of our challenges includes that of writing to a deadline, however that does not preclude submitting any original work written prior to a particular challenge cycle (announcement of challenge theme, etc, to announcement of winner/s).

If you have a previously written work that you feel is suited to a particular challenge, then it is quite legitimate to use that work as your entry. I know of a few occasions where this has been tried; none where a previously written and posted work has won. This is true even of re-submitted entries from previously posted challenge entries (with very similar themes).

There is an allowance in da Rules for challenge entries which have been posted here (or anywhere) before the challenge was announced -
    Concurrent Duplicate Posts: In almost all situations, duplicate posts are not allowed. Pick the most appropriate discussion or critique forum and post your item there. Cross posting, spamming or any kind of concurrent duplicate posting are potential abuses of community tolerance and usually serve to take unfair advantage. We will delete all but one of any concurrent duplicate posts. As is true with plagiarism, paraphrasing is not a valid loophole; paraphrased posts are still copies and will be treated as such.

NB: Challenge entries should not be concurrently posted for any discussion anywhere within the forum during the active phase of the relevant challenge; this includes the forum Blogs and Groups. Challenge entries may be pre-posted or re-posted outside of the challenge cycle (ie, before the challenge prompt or theme is announced, or after the winners are announced) in an appropriate creative forum for individual critique and comment.
    - da Rules
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Blog Entries
    I would say you can use it. However would recomend spending more time on it if you have time,, to make sure it fits as perfectly as it can.
    Fancy joining a photgraphy group? The check out the Hidden Content group.

Visit My Blog to get to know me better.Hidden Content Hidden Content A fun group of like minded new writers.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content A place for young writers to talk and chill.

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post
    I know of a few occasions where this has been tried; none where a previously written and posted work has won. This is true even of re-submitted entries from previously posted challenge entries (with very similar themes).
    - da Rules
    I know of one occasion at least where the winning entry was retrofitted from existing work. And it wasn't mine.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    I know of one occasion at least where the winning entry was retrofitted from existing work. And it wasn't mine.
    Well, that's disappointing ... for both of us.

It was J, right? No, wait! Terry! He caught me out on the free speech amendment number; just loves to trip up da Boss because he's a Patron and can get away with it.

(Great to see you here, mod!)

Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post
    Well, that's disappointing ... for both of us.

It was J, right? No, wait! Terry! He caught me out on the free speech amendment number; just loves to trip up da Boss because he's a Patron and can get away with it.

(Great to see you here, mod!)
    Thanks. Let's just say that at least one person who did it isn't here to answer for himself, and isn't gonna be unless you've installed ouija capabilities. Lots of wips or fragments made their way into the LM. And honestly, it's hard to have a problem with that, as long as it wasn't previously-published material. I dunno what Da Rules say nowadays (heh, like I ever did) but that seems a reasonable rule-of-thumb, since the stuff had to fit category. Kinda like having a story on hand when a themed antho is announced.
    Hidden Content
    "From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it." - Groucho Marx

I think i tried using a previously written work for the LM once. I doubt it even placed.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

I've tried adapting stories from a larger, already written (unpublished) works and none did well, but you never know. As a judge though, a few people have also tried this but it's very difficult to translate a part of a, say, novel into 650 words. I have written a couple of narrative poems here that I could redo into prose form (and of course we've turned popular songs into stories but I wouldn't try to publish one - I don't know the legal ramifications on something like that).
    "Self-righteousness never straddles the political fence."

Midnightpoet

"The bible says to love your neighbor. It's obvious that over the centuries it has been interpreted as the opposite."
    (sarcasm alert)

Midnightpoet

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by moderan View Post
    Thanks. Let's just say that at least one person who did it isn't here to answer for himself, and isn't gonna be unless you've installed ouija capabilities.
    I could look into that as part of the next upgrade.

Lots of wips or fragments made their way into the LM. And honestly, it's hard to have a problem with that, as long as it wasn't previously-published material. I dunno what Da Rules say nowadays (heh, like I ever did) but that seems a reasonable rule-of-thumb, since the stuff had to fit category. Kinda like having a story on hand when a themed antho is announced.
    I don't have a problem with previously published material, as long as is it the poster's own previously published material and not subject to any exclusivity agreement. Of course, it could be embarrassing if the previously published material bombs out.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightpoet View Post
    I've tried adapting stories from a larger, already written (unpublished) works and none did well, but you never know. As a judge though, a few people have also tried this but it's very difficult to translate a part of a, say, novel into 650 words. I have written a couple of narrative poems here that I could redo into prose form
    That sounds interesting.

(and of course we've turned popular songs into stories but I wouldn't try to publish one - I don't know the legal ramifications on something like that).
    I think it depends on the song and who holds the legal rights to it, and probably how closely the story follows the song (inspiration vs adaptation). If the song is in the public domain, then adaptations are valid and protected as original works. If not in the public domain, then permissions may be sought and granted.

Mmm! Makes me think, I am currently thinking about entering a story contest, out there in the big wide world, the prize 'lunch with and agent etc.' so what's my problem? I already have rejection letters for the story I am working on/reworking from two publishers, but the story is ideal for this comp. Hope I'm not cheating!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast