Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Submitting too frequently

Okay, but there's an underlying assumption that the "takers" aren't just sharing with no expectation of critique, merely being open to it. I mean I'm sure that's sometimes the case, but there have been plenty of pieces here that I have just enjoyed reading, but I didn't have any suggestions for. I get that the main areas are for critique, and blogs are for sharing. I guess I wish there was a distinction for "I want help / feedback here" and "Just sharing, but comment if you want.". Or maybe there is and I've misunderstood the sections.
    Nature is awesome.
    Translate this to Japanese
    syllables unchanged

Early in my time in WF I did once break the two post rule, but only by posting the third item at 23½ hours. I got reprimanded gently for it. Well, I had been asleep in the meantime and when I'm asleep my mean time can easily span several years. Sometimes conventional life isn't easy for an anachronist.

Certainly I often post items potentially for critique but with little hope of revising them. That's the curse of the unrelenting pantser though, a frequent inability to match one's initial inspiration with revisions of the same calibre. I even wrote a poem about that very subject. (Tilting at Windmills) Should one discard such possibly flawed items though, simply because one has no intention of taking them further? That poem took me maybe less than a minute or two to write and I then spent about two days trying to find the flaws in it without success. The problem is that I'm not a skilled poet, just a pantser who writes whatever comes to mind.

I wasn't joking about being an anachronist. Tilting at Windmills was a reference to something unexpected that happened two days after I wrote it. Posting it in WF was a way of giving it an incontrovertible timestamp, not that I knew that at the time of course. I wrote it in WF, then spent two days choosing the right words that I'd actually already written, then finally got the original inspiration to create it. That's anachronism; it's also pantsing gone mad in fact.

The give and take aspect of WF is a complicated subject, given that we may all be here for different reasons. We can only try to contribute honestly by doing what we each can as well as we can and also giving others a chance.
    Do you have any feedback to give about beta reading? If so see HERE.

'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

I've noticed the poets do sometimes write 'Not for critique' below their piece, Andrew. And everyone seems to relax, and enjoy it more.

Definitely, everyone is different. There are poets here (and prose writers) I've never commented on. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy and admire them. Usually, I just don't have anything that would help. If someone uses a minimalist style, for instance, and humour, that's close to my own writing style so I can respond more easily.

Regarding only posting polished work, or posting 'improved' versions etc. That's one way of working. But there are others. Performance poets, songwriters, painters, actors...

In long fiction, novelists do seem to agree that first drafts are no good. But I can see that in poetry, some might want to give high priority to things like freshness, energy, their natural way of speaking, instinct, 'happy accidents' etc.

I don't mind things being a bit 'rough' if they're coming from a good place. Perfection can be bad. And nobody would want a 'house style' to develop.

Sas, that's a bit crap, having a PM like that. I hope you can shrug it off (oh, you already have ha ha).

When I first joined it was great to share stuff and after a while I calmed down a bit...I reckon a few end up like this but all in all I don't think it's a bad thing to post alot as long as one doesn't expect to much of others...
    The only one who can heal you is you.

For the most part the give and take is generally even, but there are exceptions to every rule. There are die hard writers here, who post and critique at more than a casual level and others at the other end of the spectrum, who post solely for the sake of likes. Commenting isn't a requisite, but on the flipside when work is posted to one of the creative forums it is not exempt from critique. If a writer is looking simply to share, blogs are a safe and easy place to do this. The workshop and standard creative boards cater more toward actual critique and feedback. Occasionaly a causal poster gets blindsided by a full critique and it isn't always pretty. e.g. Johnny was posting for likes and gets a detailed breakdown of his piece instead. He doesn't want to hear that there is anything wrong with his piece. In his mind it is word perfect and the critiquer is obviously out to get him...(It has happened before and it will happen again. A by product of an active and diverse writing communtity.)

Even though I can turn out the odd reasonable piece of work, I still feel that I lack much of the technical knowledge to critique effectively, so I try to focus more on the feelings and imagery triggered.
    I will be going to a small, one-day poetry workshop at the end of this month. Hopefully, I can learn a more few things from that. I'm looking forward to the day.

The relevant guideline* -
    Forum Flooding: Don't flood the creative forums with new submissions. We realize you are eager to share your writing, but please add your work at a reasonable pace. Any creative works over two, on any particular creative board (Fiction/Non-Fiction/Poetry, etc.) in one day* may be deleted. Repeat offenses will result in an infraction.
    *Because this site spans all time zones, 1 day = 24 hours; it does not mean "midnight to midnight".
    - da Rules

- can be found in the rules for all members. The risk of flooding, however, mostly tends to come from members who have just graduated from New Member status and have instant access to our creative boards. The why can be put down to enthusiasm and a backlog of works - in some cases, going back decades - for which reader feedback is wanted. Some want to improve suspected shortcomings; some simply want acknowledgment of natural talent.

It tends to be a brief phase of over-eager membership, and in most cases, things settle down fairly quickly.

*guidelines tend to come from the consensus of forum netiquette rather than national or international legal impositions.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I do.

I think the backlog of work many new members here have probably plays a role in this For example, I've been writing fairly regularly for the past six years. So even though I only joined yesterday, I could potentially flood the board with all the short stories I've written over the years. I won't do this, but could and can see the appeal as to why some would want to.

Yesterday I posted something new I've been working on and have received some really great encouragement and constructive criticism. Taking that criticism into consideration during my next round of editing and shaping is going to make the piece stronger in a real, tangible way. That's what I'm hear for. I want to learn and grow as a writer. And given the fact I'm planning on sending out some of my shorts soon, I'd love to be able to get that sort of quality feedback before I do.

That said, I won't flood the board. I've been on forums off-and-on since I was a teenager and know from experience how frustrating and annoying flooding can be. It's also not very respectful to others here who would like their work read, so they can receive critiques and grow as writers. So hopefully most cases of flooding are just the result of over-eager new members with a backlog of work, as that can be addressed. If, however, it's just members with a "me, me, me" attitude consistently tossing up half-baked work, then that's obviously more problematic.
    “As I look back over a misspent life, I find myself more and more convinced that I had more fun doing news reporting than in any other enterprise. It really is the life of kings.” - H.L. Mencken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12