Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norebar - Foreword

Blog Entries
    This is great a great beginning. It reads like the start of a high fantasy novel brilliant. Your foreword gives a great hook for the reader and it gives the impression that it is in fact a history book rather than a fiction. It had me gripped and I would love to read more so I can put it in perspective before I can offer a critique.

Blog Entries
    No problem. Wrt the taking of liberties, leaving aside the content of what I wrote, do you think the method could work?

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    No problem. Wrt the taking of liberties, leaving aside the content of what I wrote, do you think the method could work?
    I'm really unsure. My biggest hesitation is that I wanted Norebar too feel like a non fiction book. I wanted readers to feel like they're holding a history book that came from another planet. I'm afraid that adding narrative bits in between would break that feeling.

But then I started thinking about Cambrae. I discovered that he has a complex back story that explains why he's writting the book. It's a heart warming story that I really want the reader to know about. how can I do that in the non fiction format it's currently in?

to be clear, when the actual story, Luceen's story begins, it will be written in first person perspective like explained in the foreword. It is an adaptation from his interview, written to sound like he's recounting his life from beginning to end.

My biggest hesitation is that I wanted Norebar too feel like a non fiction book
    An experiment to try, one that will gauge your potential market for that approach: Ask your friends how many history books they've read as entertainment.
    Jay Greenstein
    My articles on writing.
    The goal isn't to tell the reader that the protagonist is terrified, it's to terrorize our reader.

Blog Entries
    Many fantasy books make use of fictional historical moments, they are placed at the beginning of chapters, interwoven into the main plot line as a sub-plot. Robin hobb does this in her farseer books. It gives a broader sense of the world when done right and tells it's own story. However I would have to agree with Jay unless it is a specific period in acctual history then you tend to find not many readers for fictionalized history. Now historical fiction is another thing, is your book based on a historical event that can be traced into reality?

My advice is to write it the way you want. It was obvious to me that it was a "history" and not based on any actual events. You may need to guard against getting to dry, but that can be handled during the editing process.

Something I have learned -- when a writer rewrites or adds to a piece, it generally means you have captured that writer's attention. Not saying that's always the case.

Other general advice :

Don't post each piece for critique. I know the desire to have some kind of feedback, but too many opinions can make a mess out of something that otherwise would be good. Find one trusted person to be your cheerleader during the process and save the rest for after the rough draft is finished. Too many have quit writing promising stories because of conflicting criticism.

The second piece of general advice is to remember that this part of the forum is available to search engines and guests. That means it counts as published. If you think you might want to try to get this traditionally published some day, then you need to think about protecting your first rights.

Good luck with this! It has potential.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12