Thread: Author Interview with Margi Prideaux

Author Interview with Margi Prideaux

Dr Margi Prideaux is an international wildlife policy writer, negotiator and academic. She has worked within the conservation movement for 25 years. You can follow her on twitter @WildPolitics.

Welcome Margi, and thank you for agreeing to this interview. What first piqued your interest in conservation and environmental issues?

My first memory of connecting with an animal was when I was five. I think I mention this story in the introduction to All Things Breathe Alike. We lived in rural Canada, and as a small child, I spent hours alone with trees and bees and flowers and birds, and often went on walks alone through the surrounding countryside.

One day I met a horse on the edge of a woodland. He wasn’t wild, but I didn’t know that. The day was cold, and steam billowed from his nostrils with each exhale. I remember slowly approaching him and resting my hand on the powerful ridge of his face, then letting my fingers drift down the soft down of his nose. His breath roiled around my fingers. That is the first moment I can remember feeling a soul connection. Moments like that have shaped and driven my life ever since.

Your work has taken you to places all around the world. Which is your favourite, and why?

I probably love Thailand more than anywhere else I’ve been. The country is beautiful and steeped in history. I spent a month there and had amazing experiences with elephants that have stayed in my heart to this day. There is nothing quite as awe inspiring as standing next to the body of the largest land mammal. It’s humbling and moving.

I also have to say that working with people in Samoa was a fabulous experience. It’s a profound thing to begin to see the world through another's eyes, and the Samoa showed me that insight.

Your new book 'Birdsong After the Storm' is subtitled 'Giving Power to Communities to Speak for Wildlife in International Environmental Governance'.

Can you briefly tell us what or who inspired this so-called 'grass roots' approach to conservation?

My grass-roots approach to conservation has been inspired by the communities in Africa, Asia and the Pacific Islands I’ve worked with over the years. It’s propelled into the book because my frustrations are working within big organisations that want to homogenise everything. I’ve witnessed so much tradtional knowledge lost when it didn’t need to be. In its place is massive international tourism– a poor substitute for the cultural wisdom that was there before.

I enjoyed reading the free eBook 'All Things Breathe Alike - A Wildlife Anthology' that you wrote in conjunction with fellow nature writers Jessica Groenendijk and Donna Mulvenna.

The book describes itself as a 'miscellany of creative non-fiction and fiction tales'. As a primarily factual and research driven author, what challenges did this genre present, and how did you overcome them?

Working with Donna and Jessica was a terrific experience. As you’ve identified, my writing is quite different. I try to inject creativity into my writing, but I know I am sledge hammer to their feather-light touch. Nonetheless, I was keen to meet the challenge!

It required me to switch off the researcher inside my head–the little voice that is constantly on the prowl for information. I had to close google and my research library which felt like standing on the edge of a cliff. I knew I had to just open Scrivener and just write. It took a little while to break to ‘fact-check’ habit, but I am glad I did.

Forgive the pun, but what is your ideal environment for the process of writing?

I love the pun! My ideal place is the space I’ve created. I live on a farm, enveloped by wilderness, on an island. My small, comfortable office surrounds me with books, my walls and shelves are festooned with pictures and figures of wildlife, and I look out on wildlife every day.

There are hundreds of birds, from parrots to small fairy wrens, all living their wonderful lives in full view of my window. Some mornings a koala comes down from a large eucalyptus near our house, and ambles across the lawn. At dusk, there are kangaroos on the ridge. I hear birdsong and the music of the wind all day long. This place is my soul and my inspiration. It’s where I write best.

Conservation is sometimes given much-needed publicity by the support of celebrities. Ideally, which celebrity would you choose to promote your own conservation work, and why?

I am a bit wary about celebrity around the environment because, so often, the celebrity overshadows the people who are doing to hard graft. Nonetheless, the celebrity I would choose is another author–Naomi Klien–because her books resonate with the same intent and she understands that conservation is complex, and not something that can be designed from afar.

Regarding conservation, can you think of one change (political, commercial, etc) that would make the most immediate impact?

Hands-down, the biggest impact would come from the international political class inviting civil society to the decision making a table, with standing and an equal vote. Saying this, I appreciate my effortless sentence simplifies the massive political shift that would ripple across many other areas. But, it’s what I believe needs to happen.

Of course, conservation is concerned with all aspects of the environment, but do you have a favourite animal, and why?

I’ve already betrayed my favouritism in an earlier question, so it won't be a surprise when I say Asian elephants have captured my heart. There is a gentle intelligence in their massive heads and a quiet grace about how they move and hold themselves. I am in love!

Do you have any advice for readers who might be interested in taking part in active conservation?

Keep your minds open and read widely. Inform yourself and don’t take issues at face value. There is so much misinformation around, and it’s easy to pick up the wrong fight if you take things on face value.

My second piece of advice is stay grounded. It’s even easier to become so lost in the fight that you can’t see a way out. When you decide what moves you, go looking for people who resonate with your soul. Work with them. Don't do it alone

Which other writers, nature or not, have inspired you?

The writers that inspire me are radical political thinkers. Richard Falk’s ‘Predatory Globalisation’ remains a touchstone for me today. More recently, I’ve been inspired by Micah White’s, ‘The End of Protest’, Peter Frase’s, ‘Four Futures: Life After Capitalism’, and Naomi Klien’s ‘This Changes Everything’.

Are you working on anything at the moment?

I am part way through two projects. The first book, ‘Wild Tapestry: Weaving Wildlife Survival’, delves deeper into my investigation of the power of community conservation in the developing world, and the international forces that are undermining these efforts. I am writing of the terrible risks these activists take and the wild and wonderful solutions they propose.

The second book is a collaboration with my friend Donna Mulvenna, ‘Shock and Awe: The global assault on wildlife and where to find hope’. We are looking at 20 or so high profile wildlife issues, uncovering the shock of what is happening and the awe that inspires people to keep fighting. I also have some conference papers to prepare, but they are nowhere near as interesting!

Where can readers discover more about you and you work?

My website is the hub of all my work - www.wildpolitics.co

Is there anything else you wish to say to the readers?

I’d like to express thanks to WritingForums.com for giving literary journalism some space for a few moments, and for listening to my mind ticking over as I’ve pondered these question. It's an honour to speak to you for a short time.

Last edited by ned; July 1st, 2017 at 03:49 PM.

This is great, thanks Ned for my first introduction to Margi Prideaux.

Thanks, Ned, for arranging this interview. It contains a lot of interesting stuff.

Thank, too, to Margi for giving me so much to think about. I'll certainly be checking out those authors that you mentioned and I'll follow up on Birdsong after the Storm too. It's good to know that there are people like you, working to protect and conserve the natural world. It should be such an easy and obvious message to get across but it sadly seems to be quite the opposite.

Just starting out on the adventure of poetry? Why not join us on
    Poetry Hill where you will receive one-to-one advice and suggestions for ways to work with your poem.

My Poems

I enjoyed reading the interview it opens a whole new world for me and the work that margi does is a eye opener.

Loved hearing about your world, Marji. I am in my 70s now, and I spent most of it blind to life around me. Pity. Now I find myself entranced by a tiny hummingbird. Riveted, even. I don't need an elephant to bring me to ground. Smiles.