Why Write?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Write?

Why Write?

I've been busy with many things lately. Too many things.

I struggle with continuing to write, as I'm sure many of you do as well. Lately, writing has lost its magic for me. I don't know why, I just don't look at it quite the same.

I'm not saying I'm quitting writing or anything, frankly, I'm not sure that's even possible.

It's funny, I remember hearing a George Orwell quote:

“Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout with some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand.”

When I first heard that, I remember thinking "Okay, now, Orwell. Sure it is. Real tough, alright."

But now I totally get it. I've tried other things; programming, 3d modeling, drawing, photography, music (guitar, piano). It's almost quite literally impossible for me to pursue these things. No matter how hard I try, I'm found once again at writing, at the beginning. I can't do any other form of art. Writing is some master, some drive that I can't escape.

It's like trekking deep, deep into the woods to find your cabin, You go farther, farther into that dark forest, looking for the lamplight of your night's rest. And when you've reached your end point, that point where your feet are too swollen for your shoes and your eyes are ready for the long night, you find yourself right back where you started, right at the front of the path where your feet first set in the morning's light. That is writing for me. A long trek to escape, to only find myself at the beginning.

So where is the magic? Why do you write? What do you love about writing?
    Last edited by BobtailCon; June 1st, 2017 at 07:49 AM.

I get asked that question by my friends all the time, and the reality is that it's impossible to explain it to someone who hasn't experienced it themselves. You try to compare it to watching a movie and being able to control the outcome; or playing a video game in an open world; or reading a book and being able to choose what happens next; but the reality is that it cannot be compared to anything. There is nothing like it in the world, except perhaps painting, because we start with a blank canvas and everything that comes thereafter is determined by us: the story, the characters, the theme, the direction, and the ending.

I started writing after my sister tragically died at 19 years of age. I wrote to wrest back the control I felt had been cruelly robbed from me, to purge the anger I was feeling, and to escape from the real world that I, at that point, hated with a passion.

I continue to write now because the words still mean as much to me as they did twenty years ago. I tinker, I build, and I tear down and rebuild again because there is beauty in the written word that many people cannot perceive.

So the question isn't "why do I write?", but "why would I ever not write?".
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

I suppose I write because it gives me something to do with the contents of my head, which would otherwise sit there pointlessly taking up space that should be devoted to more practical tasks. Also, it's a lot of fun! I get to journey to neat far-off places and do cool things with people I admire. The only difference is that these things are fictitious. The feeling I get from experiencing them seems to be more-or-less comparable to the real deal.

I must confess to feeling a bit odd when I see these quotes saying how terrible writing is, or that it's like a painful illness, because I simply cannot relate to them. I don't feel that way at all. More worryingly is that they seem to be the standard, so it sometimes prompts me to think that I am not the right stuff, that I am in some way a substandard writer. But then again, in my view, decent writing often comes from a position of the outsider, and I definitely feel myself to be that; outside of both writerly and non-writerly circles. It's a bit of a bind but I am largely accustomed to that, and in any case the payoff in terms of the joy I get when writing is totally worth it - reality can be hard work at times! The struggle for me is the struggle not to write, to do those things I have to do as opposed to those I want to do.

But I do have those times when I don't have the oomph to write. I do have a couple of other obsessions that can take up my time though, so that's all covered

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

The first cut don't hurt at all
    The second only makes you wonder
    The third will have you on your knee
    s
    - Propaganda, "Duel"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

Why Write?
    Writing is like an itch that needs to be scratched.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    This quote from Thomas Berger reminds me why I want to write: "We write because it isn't there". There are always spaces in life only we can fill. This is very gratifying for me.

This quote (my Signature) reminds me why I need to write: "Writing has saved me from the Sin and Inconvenience of Killing" Alice Walker. I pen my demons. Pen - in both senses of the word.
    “The man who cannot visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot.”
    Andre Breton

Why write? I'm not sure I really know why I write. I know it has something to do with the sound of language; with being able use words to create emotional and intellectual effects. I just love the sound of words in my head. Another reason I write might be because there are stories I want to read that only I can tell.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    I must confess to feeling a bit odd when I see these quotes saying how terrible writing is, or that it's like a painful illness, because I simply cannot relate to them. I don't feel that way at all. More worryingly is that they seem to be the standard, so it sometimes prompts me to think that I am not the right stuff, that I am in some way a substandard writer.
    You are in no way a substandard writer for not feeling like this. At all.

To clarify, writing itself is not terrible for me. I enjoy writing. It's how consuming it is, how I can't do anything else. I have to write, because every time I do something else, I'm almost subconsciously pulled back to writing.

Orwell is specifically talking about writing a book, but I understand what he means. Writing can definitely be an exhausting struggle. The writing itself is enjoyable, but the fact that I'm stuck with it is exhausting.

Enjoy the feeling of loving writing. Enjoy being able to write and love it.

Lot's of opinions I agree with. Pip's opinion nicely sums up a part of it for me. My reason is that I am bored much of the time. Life is short but I must be entertained. I don't have many hobbies outside of writing. It's because I was forced to in my own way because I felt unprivileged in a way. I use to have a group of friends, my first internet friends. Sure, in the end, they turned to be cyber bullies, but in the end subconsciously I desired because of ridicule that without me saying it or acting on it consciously to want to write. So much they tried to help, but with some anger. Because it seemed my English was considered subpar. Much to my chagrin I still kept going despite rejection. Because I had no spiritual guidance. If I couldn't be smart, I wanted to write. Sad but true. Creativity doesn't require smarts. So maybe I thought it wasn't impossible.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Blog Entries
    i suppose I write because some times I get sick of the conversations I have in my head and then they turn into stories but I mainly write because I enjoy it. I love copying things down, writing lists and most of all I enjoy being able to create things with words as you will always have words even if you have no electric.
    Check out my ebook
    Hidden Content on sale now.
    Hidden Content

Memories at midnight is now out in Hidden Content

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast