Thread: Scoring thread: May 2017; A fork in the road...

Blog Entries

Scoring thread: May 2017; A fork in the road...

So guys this is the scoring thread for our two entries I look forward to seeing what you thought of each. Happy Judging. ��

Hi Hannah, do we have a scoring rubric for Side Trips?
    Last edited by PiP; June 11th, 2017 at 02:22 PM.
    Check Out Our Members' Creative Works on <FLASHES of BRILLIANCE>

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Hi Hannah, do we have a scoring rubic for Side Trips?

This is the rubric I've seen used in the recent past.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I stopped living like there's no tomorrow
    because I always woke up sad and disappointed.

Harper Cole - The way of least resistance

Delivery: 9

Comments: I thought this was well written and the lively pace and light touch made this an engaging read.

I loved the conclusion that was drawn in this piece. To celebrate contentment is so unusual in the thrusting, striving society of today. Ambition and the pursuit of success is generally equated with happiness, despite the fact that experience so often demonstrates the opposite. So, to hear of a life demonstrating the positive side of acceptance and contentment is really refreshing.

Smith – Take exit 69 for life goals

Delivery: 8

Comments: I thought the way this was written – using metaphor and a chatty, informal style – worked well for the message but, at the same time, it made it a little more difficult to follow, for me at least. It took a couple of readings to get the full sense of what was being said.

The message here was well stated and clear; the desire to follow the heart and pursue a dream, even at the expense of security and financial reward. Since this is a non-fiction piece, I would have liked to see some exploration of the father’s attitude (opportunities being less when he was young, the need to earn money to contribute to his own upkeep, that sort of thing) rather than an emotional reaction against it. Somehow, that resentment detracted from the gentle message a little. All in all, though, a good read and a competent piece of writing.
    Life makes more sense if you don't take it personally.

My Poems

Blog Entries
    Well done guys you both submitted fantastic stories into Mays challenge. Here are my scores and comments.

Harpercole.

Delivery 9/10
    Message 9/10

Comments: I really enjoyed your entry because it took me back to my own university days. Your narrative voice was smooth and seemless as it flows from one sentence to the next allowing a nice reading pace. I particularly liked the imagery of fighting against a stream.

Smith.

Delivery8/10.
    Message 7/10.

Comments: while your story was engaging I feel that your message became slightly hidden. At first everything is clear in your writing but then in the middle things become confussing and your narrative seems to bounce around from thought to thought. While this gives your writing a chaotic feel-like in real life- it is fairly hard to read and still know what your message is.

Blog Entries
    Anyone else that would like to judge these two entries must post their scores by 5pm(England) on Friday as then I will be announcing the winner.

Also the scoring ruberic is as follows you score two elements of the entries Message and Delivery both of these get a score out of ten and then you leave a couple of comments about each entry and that is the scoring done. ��

Come on guys lets get this judging moving.

Blog Entries
    Right guys the winner of Mays challenge is HarperCole. It was a close competition guys so well done to you both.

Congratulations, well done.

Thanks! I hope there's more of us in the contest next month, but I enjoyed this one.

HC