The Household Detective - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Household Detective

Please advise me, some kind of exciting detective!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMickyG View Post
    Written eons ago from a puzzle. Enjoy.
    THE HOUSEHOLD DETECTIVE

Chris, with a cold beer in his hand, sat watching his favourite detective show, as he did most days. Karen knew not to disturb him, while he absorbed all the show's information. Then, before the ‘TV Detective’ revealed to perpetrator of the horrendous crime, Chris had already out-detected them, using his own powers of observation and reasoning.
    This loosely reminds me of the main character in Jodi Piccoult's House Rules. Jacob is a boy with high functioning autism who is obsessed with crime solving. He watches this made-up show and tries to solve the crime before the TV detectives. Mind you, we know a heck of a lot more about Jacob and the main plot of the entire book many, many chapters before this information is revealed to us.

Starting off like this is in the territory of telling and not showing. Why not have Chris examining the "crime scene", gathering the evidence, then solving the crime before the detectives do only to reveal to the reader at the end of this involved scene that he was watching a program the whole time. Starting the story like that would better set the reader up for the zinger at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanielleC View Post
    This loosely reminds me of the main character in Jodi Piccoult's House Rules. Jacob is a boy with high functioning autism who is obsessed with crime solving. He watches this made-up show and tries to solve the crime before the TV detectives. Mind you, we know a heck of a lot more about Jacob and the main plot of the entire book many, many chapters before this information is revealed to us.

Starting off like this is in the territory of telling and not showing. Why not have Chris examining the "crime scene", gathering the evidence, then solving the crime before the detectives do only to reveal to the reader at the end of this involved scene that he was watching a program the whole time. Starting the story like that would better set the reader up for the zinger at the end.
    I understood the story to be a progression from watching the show to solving the real "crime" in his own home. Maybe the OP will make an appearance to let us know what s/he meant.

Either way, thanks for bringing back an oldie but goodie!

Sees date of thread.

Oops. I was eager so I dived right in without looking.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanielleC View Post
    Sees date of thread.

Oops. I was eager so I dived right in without looking.
    That's no problem! Enthusiasm is a good thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12