I Count Sheep - Page 2

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Count Sheep

You guys have it all wrong, SAS thought I posted "LOL", to which I replied I didnt. I appreciate everything else you guys are bringing to the table, how did we even get this far? Do I even strike you as that kind of person to ignore thoughtful help? I should be offended by all of this but im not, I think we are having a misunderstanding.

Sent from my RCT6303W87M7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sas View Post
    Hmmmm. Guess I've no idea what you mean. I'll just assume you don't want poems workshopped. Workshop usually is more of a give and take. But, not a problem.
    Read my latest comment above and respond please.

Quote Originally Posted by Firemajic View Post
    Thanks for the "heads up"... I won't be posting any comments on your poetry.
    I do not think that a simple " THANK YOU" is an unnecessary comment... sure you click the "Thanks "button... but a comment would be nice... it is just good manners.

Yea I kinda feel like there was a form of overreaction, then some gross overestimation in the implied intent.
    "He slides into second with a stand-up double." - Jerry Coleman
    "Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth." - Lou Gehrig
    "After Jackie Robinson, the most important black in baseball history is Reggie Jackson." - Reggie Jackson
    "Your Holiness, I'm Joe Medwick. I, too, used to be a Cardinal." - Joe Medwick to Pope Pius XII
    "I think Tim Wakefield would even say tonight that Tim Wakefield got to Tim Wakefield tonight." - Tim McCarver

Quote Originally Posted by Ptolemy View Post
    Yea I kinda feel like there was a form of overreaction, then some gross overestimation in the implied intent.
    thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyknight1 View Post

Please accept my sincere apologies, my goals, as a Mentor are to offer you encouragement, support and inspiration...
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyknight1 View Post
    thank you.

Ricky. Buddy. People aren't gonna wanna critique you if you act like this.

Sas might have put a whole morning into your poem. A day. It deserves more than a Like click.

I like this poem, Ricky, and I agree with sas that it could be made even better with a little judicious trimming. I don't want to rewrite your poem, so this is just to show you what I mean:

My soul grows cold night after night
    I sleep in forbidden darkness
    awaiting what lies beneath.

Makes it more immediate

I've become a devil myself
    like the crooked edge of a rusty ole sword
    like the poison antidote in my grandmother's tea
    like the knife I shall use to slit her throat.

Just my personal opinion, not sure so many 'likes' help, I think they weaken it

I stand besides her door night after night--- not sure this repetition offers anything to the poem.
    growing more brave.
    I will never turn my other cheek nor will I pray for my enemies
    they will all burn like the wild corn in a fire.

I won't go through the whole poem, but I wanted to give you my take on how to strengthen this by example. It's your poem and you have to decide how to write it, we just offer opinion.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Ricky, The first response from you was just LOL. I don't mind those, but there wasn't anything funny. I waited for your response, as assumed you accidentally clicked it. Only later did "like" show up, but still no real response, or thank you (I see you knew how to say thank you to Potolomy), to my workshop efforts. I am not a mentor here, for a reason. I can say what's on my mind. I'm not apologizing.

Quote Originally Posted by sas View Post
    Ricky, The first response from you was just LOL. I don't mind those, but there wasn't anything funny. I waited for your response, as assumed you accidentally clicked it. Only later did "like" show up, but still no real response, or thank you (I see you knew how to say thank you to Potolomy), to my workshop efforts. I am not a mentor here, for a reason. I can say what's on my mind. I'm not apologizing.
    I'll stand up for the little guy here.

I think the intent has been misinterpreted here. (As I've stated)

To me, an LOL is just as good as a Thank You. A LOL is a superficial tally that is intrinsically worthless overall, it's insignificant. It means next to nothing in this fragment of a life we live. I understand if you want a thank you, that's totally reasonable sas, however, I believe that Ricky didn't want to clutter the thread with multiple thank yous (for some reason). Your critique was great, thank you for it. He eventually 'liked' it too.

I don't always get a "thank you" for the hour to an hour and a half critiques I give out in prose. It's just a way of life, some people are not verbally thankful. That doesn't mean they do not appreciate it, or are not thankful. We just need to accept it and move on. Parsing on about it builds nothing but a negative sentiment.

You are also totally in your right to not apologize, I'm not (nor is anyone) forcing your hand here. I'm just stating that Ricky has seen the errors that he may have handled it differently than the norm, and has chalked it up as a misunderstanding. Which I agree, I believe there was a mix up in the signal fires here.

So, do how you do. I, nor anyone, will stop you sas, I'm just saying: I believe there was a communication error here that Ricky has already addressed.
    "He slides into second with a stand-up double." - Jerry Coleman
    "Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth." - Lou Gehrig
    "After Jackie Robinson, the most important black in baseball history is Reggie Jackson." - Reggie Jackson
    "Your Holiness, I'm Joe Medwick. I, too, used to be a Cardinal." - Joe Medwick to Pope Pius XII
    "I think Tim Wakefield would even say tonight that Tim Wakefield got to Tim Wakefield tonight." - Tim McCarver

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast