what is your writing process ?

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Poll: what is your writing process

Page 1 of 21 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: what is your writing process ?

or do you just wing it ?

does your process change by genre or size or other factors ?

for me i wing it for an oped length piece of <1500 words

more than that i will do some organising to break it down into smaller chunks of ~500 words each

for really large projects i will do a detailed outline breaking it into sections ~<3000 and then into chunks ~500

for a novel i would have a detailed out line down to the scene level and then break scenes down into beats

I write an outline with chapter by chapter summaries and then go for at least 500 words a day. My chapters are usually between 1000 and 3000 words.

I plan a rough summary and work from that to my first draft. For my current WIP my plan is about 15 pages single-spaced. I separated the summary into Acts rather than chapters. Chapter breaks I'm planning on doing later.

I think it's important to have a combination of pantsing as well as planning-- allows for the best of best worlds. However, this is just my humble opinion!

I should also mention that, for each work I create, I also vary the process of planning/pantsing so that it's a little different each time. That is, as well, just my way of doing it.
    Last edited by Bard_Daniel; May 7th, 2017 at 03:34 AM.
    ďAs far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being,"

-Carl Jung

Quote Originally Posted by danielstj View Post
    I plan a rough summary and work from that to my first draft. For my current WIP my plan is about 15 pages single-spaced. I separated the summary into Act's rather than chapters. Chapter breaks I'm planning on doing later.

I think it's important to have a combination of pantsing as well as planning-- allows for the best of best worlds. However, this is just my humble opinion!

I should also mention that, for each work I create, I also vary the process of planning/pantsing so that it's a little different each time. That is, as well, just my way of doing it.
    =========================

when i ever do a novel it will be sliced and diced finer as so: acts > chapter > scenes > bits

My writing process is ass on seat and fingers on keyboard.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

I first have an idea then I figure out my main characters, who they are, what they look like and what type of personality they have. Once this is done, I wing it. I have an idea about my story but no clue how it will unfold or where it will go. I know that is probably the worst way to write but it works for me. I like that based on what I've previously written will guide me to what I write next.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    My writing process is ass on seat and fingers on keyboard.
    ===============

how exactly does that work

how is that different from the 1000 monkey approach ?

Quote Originally Posted by NeenaDiHope View Post
    I first have an idea then I figure out my main characters, who they are, what they look like and what type of personality they have. Once this is done, I wing it. I have an idea about my story but no clue how it will unfold or where it will go. I know that is probably the worst way to write but it works for me. I like that based on what I've previously written will guide me to what I write next.
    ====================

some people can keep more in their head to guide them than others

some of us need the map written down in detail before we can take a trip and not get lost

I write what I write when I write it - The only planning involved is if I'm going to college and have to make sure I've printed out 20 copies for the group...
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloggsworth View Post
    I write what I write when I write it - The only planning involved is if I'm going to college and have to make sure I've printed out 20 copies for the group...
    =======================

but how does that approach ensure you write what you need to write to satisfy the prof
    or are they grading on volume these days and not quality or content

Page 1 of 21 12345678911 ... LastLast