How to paint on metal..need advice - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to paint on metal..need advice

You're a doll! Will do just that. Thanks. sas

Or do it over a charcoal barbecue, in a disposable foil tray.

Edited to add: I wasn't going to say this because you probably know it already, and then I came back and said it anyway just in case. When melting metal of unknown provenance, always do it in a well-ventilated area in case of any toxic fumes. Old pewter may well contain lead.
    I can love my fellow man, but I'm damned if I'll love yours.
    Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
    Or do it over a charcoal barbecue, in a disposable foil tray.

Edited to add: I wasn't going to say this because you probably know it already, and then I came back and said it anyway just in case. When melting metal of unknown provenance, always do it in a well-ventilated area in case of any toxic fumes. Old pewter may well contain lead.
    That's why you get modern pewter which is just tin with copper or antimony. I mean pewter is mainly used for like plates and mugs so it cannot legally contain lead anymore.
    "He slides into second with a stand-up double." - Jerry Coleman
    "Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth." - Lou Gehrig
    "After Jackie Robinson, the most important black in baseball history is Reggie Jackson." - Reggie Jackson
    "Your Holiness, I'm Joe Medwick. I, too, used to be a Cardinal." - Joe Medwick to Pope Pius XII
    "I think Tim Wakefield would even say tonight that Tim Wakefield got to Tim Wakefield tonight." - Tim McCarver

Thanks! Chemistry was my high school major, so, yes, I was concerned about lead. I did not know newer pewter did not have it. I always tell people not to drink out of those pewter steins. So now know it's the older ones. Interesting. I watch out for painted old plates, too. And, some countries of origin.

I searched online and found these guys, if it helps.
    I can love my fellow man, but I'm damned if I'll love yours.
    Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.

NS.....I love you! Yes, I'd rather open my wallet than be over a flame. I do not cook. I have a man for that. Smiles and thanks!

I recently had to paint an aluminum stock car for a bosses going away present, the only thing I learned from that is that primer is important. Apart from that it's not that much different than traditional painting. IMO that is.

Start with a top-quality acrylic latex primer,and then finish with a good-quality acrylic latex paint. Heads up: The higher the paint sheen, the easier it is to wash and clean the surface.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12