5 Book Cover Design Ideas for Best Selling Books

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5 Book Cover Design Ideas for Best Selling Books

Lightbulb 5 Book Cover Design Ideas for Best Selling Books

I recently created a blog article containing tips on how to create the best cover design for your books. These cover ideas can greatly help you improve your book sales and may even make your book one of the best sellers! This would also be a big help for those who are just starting out.

Here's a sneak peek of the ideas included:

1. Don’t Make It Yourself
    2. Have More Than One Cover Designed
    3. Make Sure the Title is Clearly Visible and Stands Out
    4. Research Your Competition
    5. Narrow In On Your Target Audience

I hope you guys enjoy this! If you have more ideas and tips, let discuss it!
    Last edited by astroannie; April 12th, 2017 at 10:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    I didn't read your blog post, but looking at your list, if I were to make a sequential list, it would be mostly reversed from the order you have:

1. Narrow your target audience - because if you don't first know who you are trying to reach, whatever you do next is a waste of time.
    2. Research your competition - what is the most popular? Who's on top of the genre? Big pictures or big type? Should you do the same, or break the mold?

Having done that preliminary work, you are ready to put together some ideas:

3. Do several rough ideas (in the design business, we call 'em "thumbnails") - do them quick, sketchy; just get the idea down and move on to another idea. Try to get about 10 ideas in an hour. Choose the best two or three and refine them. Stick 'em to a wall and look at them for a couple days; decide which one is best and go from there.
    4. Make sure the Title stands out - yes, of course, but don't sacrifice a good visual hook just to make your type YUUUGE! People are attracted to visuals combined with words, so don't ignore the power of an image.
    5. Don't make it yourself - unless you have some skill and/or training in design (like me, ). If you've never done this before and insist on doing your own cover, congratulations!, you've just hired an amateur!

Also, I see this is your first post, so I should let you know that the higher-ups don't like it when we start threads that link back to our web sites and/or blogs. I've been told that's against Da Rules. I recommend you hang out here and post within this community for a while and get a feel for things here; there is a section for posting links to outside articles if that's what you want to do.
    Last edited by sigmadog; April 12th, 2017 at 07:01 AM.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphic Design. Illustration. Happy Dogs.
    Hidden Content
    Love your pet forever. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
    I recently created a blog article containing tips on how to create the best cover design for your books. These cover ideas can greatly help you improve your book sales and may even make your book one of the best sellers! This would also be a big help for those who are just starting out.

Here's a sneak peek of the ideas included:

1. Don’t Make It Yourself
    2. Have More Than One Cover Designed
    3. Make Sure the Title is Clearly Visible and Stands Out
    4. Research Your Competition
    5. Narrow In On Your Target Audience

I hope you guys enjoy this! If you have more ideas and tips, let discuss it!

if you are smart enough to write a book you are smart enough to dl a template and diy a cover faster better easier cheaper
    than throwing hundreds or thousands of dollars at some self styled professional cover artiste

covers are meant to sell books not win awards for artistes

all text must be clear and easy to read

keep it simple
    keep it legible at amazon thumbnail size

dont let it be confusing

you only need one good cover

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by who me? View Post
    if you are smart enough to write a book you are smart enough to dl a template and diy a cover faster better easier cheaper
    than throwing hundreds or thousands of dollars at some self styled professional cover artiste
    As a "professional artiste", I take issue with this.

covers are meant to sell books not win awards for artistes
    Then again, sometimes a cover wins an award because it helped to sell a ton of books. There are many awards that are based on results, you know.

all text must be clear and easy to read
    The important text must be clear. There is a hierarchy of importance in any cover design. It's a lot like poster design: The important information (Title and/or image) attracts the attention of the viewer. The secondary information (author if they are unknown, subheadings, etc.,) benefits from the attention drawn by the primary object.

keep it simple
    keep it legible at amazon thumbnail size

dont let it be confusing

you only need one good cover
    I mostly agree with this part. But getting to that "one good cover" is not as easy as it sounds. Sometimes it helps to seek the advice and expertise of someone who specializes in visual marketing, aka a professional designer/artiste.

On a side note, I bristle whenever I hear someone demean my profession (designer/illustrator) by using the term "artiste". I have over thirty years of experience helping clients sell their products/services via compelling imagery and typography. My clients stick with me for years. Why? Because I add value to their marketing. Mine is a serious profession, not one where I get to play the dilettante.

And I don't even own a beret.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
    As a "professional artiste", I take issue with this.

Then again, sometimes a cover wins an award because it helped to sell a ton of books. There are many awards that are based on results, you know.

The important text must be clear. There is a hierarchy of importance in any cover design. It's a lot like poster design: The important information (Title and/or image) attracts the attention of the viewer. The secondary information (author if they are unknown, subheadings, etc.,) benefits from the attention drawn by the primary object.

I mostly agree with this part. But getting to that "one good cover" is not as easy as it sounds. Sometimes it helps to seek the advice and expertise of someone who specializes in visual marketing, aka a professional designer/artiste.

On a side note, I bristle whenever I hear someone demean my profession (designer/illustrator) by using the term "artiste". I have over thirty years of experience helping clients sell their products/services via compelling imagery and typography. My clients stick with me for years. Why? Because I add value to their marketing. Mine is a serious profession, not one where I get to play the dilettante.

And I don't even own a beret.

you have the cover artists outlook
    i have a book markting outlook

as a self publisher i dont have money to waste on big egos
    and i am quite capable of making a cover as most of the so called professional samples shown on their websites to sell their cover services

cover awards are meaningless
    the only award that counts is making sales of books

for almost all self publishers buying any cover will be a net loss as they wont sell enough books to pay for it

if you cant do the best cover first time or one that is plenty good enough
    then you may have to do several to choose from

ALL text must be legible else the cover is confusing and wont grab the looker

the authors name is irrelevant for unknown authors
    use the space to sell the book not boost an ego

if you dont like artiste then you need to clean out all the wannabees who declared themselves professionals to suck money out of the bank accounts of naive authors

if your clients stuck with you then they were not self publishers losing money on their book like the vast majority do
    most folks would wise up and stop throwing money away

do you guarantee any number of sales if someone buys a cover from you?
    neither do the so called promoters and advertisers who make money while authors lose more if they waste it on their 'services'

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by who me? View Post
    and i am quite capable of making a cover
    I would love to see some of your work. Seriously. Please share a pic. I do not say this sarcastically, because some DIY covers are actually quite nice.

if you dont like artiste then you need to clean out all the wannabees who declared themselves professionals to suck money out of the bank accounts of naive authors
    "One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch, Girl!" – Donny Osmond

In any profession there are players with varying levels of skill and integrity. When it comes to something as subjective as art and design, if you are looking for custom artwork, it pays to do a little investigation and find a designer/artist with whom you see eye to eye, whose work you like and who will work with you to create an image that will turn heads. That level of interaction will cost money.

If you are looking for the cheapest possible route, then by all means do it yourself. Just know that you may miss out on some new readers who are conditioned to ignore marketing that looks generic and amateurish.

if your clients stuck with you then they were not self publishers losing money on their book like the vast majority do
    most folks would wise up and stop throwing money away
    Or perhaps they should knuckle-down and write better books.

Please note that I am not in the "book cover design" industry per se. I have designed a book cover or two, but I do all manner of design/illustration work for individuals and companies in a wide range of industries. I don't have a "specialty" because experience has taught me that the fundamentals of good design will work just about anywhere they are tried.

do you guarantee any number of sales if someone buys a cover from you?
    neither do the so called promoters and advertisers who make money while authors lose more if they waste it on their 'services'
    Sadly, there are no guarantees in life.

The cover attracts the initial attention of the target audience, and that's all it does. It's up to you, the writer, to close the deal with a good synopsis that entices them to add it to their cart. And then you need to satisfy the promise of the cover and synopsis by writing a compelling work that gets good reviews and builds excitement.

So a good cover is arguably of great importance, but if the writing sucks not even a cover by Rembrandt will save it.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
    I would love to see some of your work. Seriously. Please share a pic. I do not say this sarcastically, because some DIY covers are actually quite nice.

"One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch, Girl!" – Donny Osmond

In any profession there are players with varying levels of skill and integrity. When it comes to something as subjective as art and design, if you are looking for custom artwork, it pays to do a little investigation and find a designer/artist with whom you see eye to eye, whose work you like and who will work with you to create an image that will turn heads. That level of interaction will cost money.

If you are looking for the cheapest possible route, then by all means do it yourself. Just know that you may miss out on some new readers who are conditioned to ignore marketing that looks generic and amateurish.

Or perhaps they should knuckle-down and write better books.

Please note that I am not in the "book cover design" industry per se. I have designed a book cover or two, but I do all manner of design/illustration work for individuals and companies in a wide range of industries. I don't have a "specialty" because experience has taught me that the fundamentals of good design will work just about anywhere they are tried.

Sadly, there are no guarantees in life.

The cover attracts the initial attention of the target audience, and that's all it does. It's up to you, the writer, to close the deal with a good synopsis that entices them to add it to their cart. And then you need to satisfy the promise of the cover and synopsis by writing a compelling work that gets good reviews and builds excitement.

So a good cover is arguably of great importance, but if the writing sucks not even a cover by Rembrandt will save it.
    ===========================

most of the apples are bad when it comes to so called professional book cover artistes
    nobody can show that a cover sells enough MORE books to pay for the cost of doing it

self publishers have to look for the cheapest route that is good enough
    most of them wont make a penny of profit over expenses

most of the suc... er authors are wannabees kranking out kindle krap novels for self fulfillmennt
    they cant write better books
    and the ones who are arrogant enough often spring for expensive covers and still only sell 3 books

exactly
    the cover is to NOT confuse the reader
    and get them to look at the back cover then inside

good design does not equate to good marketing
    what artistes like is artsy
    what is needed is salesy

nobody ever reviewed a book on amazon and raved about the cover
    nobody said they bought the book because of the cover
    they all talk about the content

Blog Entries
    I can see this conversation is rapidly going nowhere.

Good luck to you, and I hope someday you discover the value of good art in marketing (and punctuation and grammar in forum posts).

Heh.

Hidden Content

Hi, Who me?!
    This might be a bit lengthy as I don't visit here quite too often any more, but I'm curious to clarify.

Do you believe that an attractive thumbnail for a cover while browsing amazon, for example, will not attract more people to click to find out more about the book? I understand your distaste for vanity publishing, but also I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that there are drastically fewer bestsellers with poor or minimal-investment covers than there are with professionally-designed or high-effort covers. I actually can't recall a recent amazon top 100 that didn't have an attractive looking cover, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

We can agree that people review books based on the inside content, but they only get that far after they've come in contact with the cover. In many ways a good cover is the biggest magnet you have for attracting readers to your story, regardless if it's well or poorly written. That said, the cover doesn't decide the quality of the story, and that's why they're never mentioned in reviews, however covers are important because they cause the potential reader to take a shot with your story rather than someone else's. Am I explaining this okay, or am I being vague? I thought that you, as a marketing-focused author, would absolutely appreciate how receiving more clicks is a good thing when it comes to converting traffic to sales.

Quote Originally Posted by KellInkston View Post
    Hi, Who me?!
    This might be a bit lengthy as I don't visit here quite too often any more, but I'm curious to clarify.

Do you believe that an attractive thumbnail for a cover while browsing amazon, for example, will not attract more people to click to find out more about the book? I understand your distaste for vanity publishing, but also I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that there are drastically fewer bestsellers with poor or minimal-investment covers than there are with professionally-designed or high-effort covers. I actually can't recall a recent amazon top 100 that didn't have an attractive looking cover, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

We can agree that people review books based on the inside content, but they only get that far after they've come in contact with the cover. In many ways a good cover is the biggest magnet you have for attracting readers to your story, regardless if it's well or poorly written. That said, the cover doesn't decide the quality of the story, and that's why they're never mentioned in reviews, however covers are important because they cause the potential reader to take a shot with your story rather than someone else's. Am I explaining this okay, or am I being vague? I thought that you, as a marketing-focused author, would absolutely appreciate how receiving more clicks is a good thing when it comes to converting traffic to sales.
    ===========================================

people dont search for covers or thumbnails
    they search for content

a BAD thumbnail will prevent clicking
    otherwise it is the stars and the author and the subject and reviews that get people to click
    i do not think any fancy schmancy artsycraftsy cover picture will entice a reader

now that being said
    maybe if it is a bodice ripper then a picture of a buxom wench might help get a click
    but i suspect it is as likely to not get a click if it is confusing and the words are not legible

best sellers mainly come from trad pub houses
    they budget money for artsy pictures on the cover
    whether those sell the book or not is unproven so far
    authors sell books
    reviews sell books
    word of mouth sells books

i have never seen any valid data that a fancy cover sells a book
    but i have seen some that shows bad covers hurt sales when they are confusing and illegible

any top 100 is probably done by a solid proven author who has the funds to spend on a cover
    but whether that cover helped sales or not is pure speculation by the artiste union

CORRELATION IS NOT CAUSATION

people do not search for covers
    nobody has ever raved over the cover in a review

people search for authors, subject, isbn, or maybe genre and reviews
    but they dont search for covers

the cover can stop their momentum
    it never causes them to consider that book initially

you can claim the covers make the reader take a shot with the story
    but that is all anecdotal and unproven

reviews may make them take a shot
    author name will make them take a shot

i just took a shot because i saw evanovich on the cover
    that book was a STINKER written with someone else and in no way an evanovich style book

none of the covers on the plum series would make anybody buy the book
    the name evanovich makes them buy those books
    and they shoot your top 100 theory out of the water as she sells millions on blah covers that market but dont win awards for artsiness

the dirty little inconvenient truth is that most self pubbers will never make back their expenses let alone make a profit to pay for their time
    and wasting money on a cover for them is stupid

if you know you are going to be a top 100 book then go ahead and spring for the so called 'professional' cover artiste made cover

i still say if you are smart enough to write a book
    then you are smart enough to diy a template and diy a cover that is as good as 99.98% of alleged pro cover artists

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast