Thread: Capitalization Questions

Capitalization Questions

Within my WIP, there are FBI agents. When talking about the president, the P isn't capitalized normally unless followed by his name. The president vs. President Jackson. Where I'm getting jammed up is in the situations below.

1. At one point, I describe a guy as looking "Federal." Cap F or not? I initially chose not, but my wife says yes.

2. The protagonist refers to the guys as "Feds." Cap F or not?

3. The FBI agent character refers to the "Bureau" here and there. I assume the B is capitalized?

Hmmmm
    How do you get a musician off your front porch?

Pay for the pizza.

I'd say no to federal. It's a description, like royal.
    Yes to The Feds and The Bureau, as they've become names, like "And Mum came, too."

Not certain, though.

Thank you. I tend to agree. I also capitalize Dad and Mom when using them in place of their names.

Pay for the pizza.

1. No.
    2.Yes.
    3.Yes.
    Site Rules and Regs

My Novel

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

I concur.
    federal, Feds, Bureau
    Although, how does one look federal? If you mean someone looks like a Fed, it's perhaps clearer to just say that.

Quote Originally Posted by per se View Post
    Although, how does one look federal? If you mean someone looks like a Fed, it's perhaps clearer to just say that.
    To me, it's clear as day because I wrote it. I guess I was going for the protagonist looking at a guy and thinking he was federal rather than local law enforcement. You're right though. It might just be better to say he looked like a Fed. Thanks!

Pay for the pizza.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by violinguy View Post
    Within my WIP, there are FBI agents. When talking about the president, the P isn't capitalized normally unless followed by his name. The president vs. President Jackson. Where I'm getting jammed up is in the situations below.

1. At one point, I describe a guy as looking "Federal." Cap F or not? I initially chose not, but my wife says yes.

2. The protagonist refers to the guys as "Feds." Cap F or not?

3. The FBI agent character refers to the "Bureau" here and there. I assume the B is capitalized?

Hmmmm
    Hmm indeed. I would say:

1. Describing a guy as looking "Federal" is a little, I dunno, out of whack, for me, because unless your narrator speaks like, whoa, that's totally federal dude, or something, "man, I feel defederated after last night", "federal" is an actual thing; it means centralised, not handled by some distant entity but controlled by the middle, and it's hard to see how a person could look like that. Governments can be federalised, yes; as can bureaux of investigation, as can many things. Maybe your guys looks like a Fed? That would make more sense, to me.

2. Yes, Cap F.

3. Yes, I think so, otherwise readers'll think he's talking about some Welsh dresser or roll top desk!

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!