Share alternative music (Punk, Post-punk, Shoegaze, Indie etc.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Share alternative music (Punk, Post-punk, Shoegaze, Indie etc.)

Share alternative music (Punk, Post-punk, Shoegaze, Indie etc.)

I wonder if there are anyone who stands in awe when listening to this genre? I do. Especially music from mid 70's to the early 80's.

The new interesting sounds and simple, yet captiviting guitar riffs. And the lyrics are genius.

I am very fond of Joy Division and The Smiths in particular. Joy Division has got an eerie darkness to it, haunting synths, monotonous drum riffs, distorted guitars and a bass that pierces your ears. Take the lyrical genius that is Ian Curtis into the equation and you end up with something new and exciting.

Here are the lyrics from one of my favourite songs by Joy Division. It's from their second and final album, released posthumously in 1980.

Joy Division (Closer) - The Eternal

Procession moves on, the shouting is over,
    Praise to the glory of loved ones now gone.
    Talking aloud as they sit round their tables,
    Scattering flowers washed down by the rain.
    Stood by the gate at the foot of the garden,
    Watching them pass like clouds in the sky,
    Try to cry out in the heat of the moment,
    Possessed by a fury that burns from inside.

Cry like a child, though these years make me older,
    With children my time is so wastefully spent,
    A burden to keep, though their inner communion,
    Accept like a curse an unlucky deal.
    Played by the gate at the foot of the garden,
    My view stretches out from the fence to the wall,
    No words could explain, no actions determine,
    Just watching the trees and the leaves as they fall.

Sorry to confess that what I remember fondly about the 70s was disco. Loved dancing to it, too. Donna Summers, a fav. smiles. sas

in the 80's you had a mix of music styles happening..punks,teds,mods,heavy metal...etc..you could walk down the street an tell what type of music someone listened to by how they dressed...so cool
    The only one who can heal you is you.

my fav band of that era i finally got to see in London last year...

reggae and punk were bedfellows.....

I like it! Here's a band that fused both funk and punk into one, the result is extraordinary.

funk and punk how could they not cross over but funk would not be my choice of style at tall....how would you describe that fusion..one finds it hard to describe funk as a music genre but both together.....

When I think of funk is it's mainly the bass.. That funky bass, you know? It's got this swing to it. And it sounds great.

This bassline too, it's got that lil funk. And the clean cut guitar.

that's so much better..lead sounds like Joe Strummer and lead guitar a kind of Buzzcocks riff...yeah i could listened to them...

Bad brains... They were a punk/reggae
    1st Chili Peppers album (no AirPlay)..was funk/punk , produced by George Clinton ( parliament funk)sounds real good full blast. That guitarist died.
    Last edited by Kevin; March 26th, 2017 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Bad brains... They were a punk/reggae
    1st Chili Peppers album (no AirPlay)..was funk/punk , produced by George Chlinton ( parliament funk)sounds real good full blast. That guitarist died.
    punk is not dead....put them safety pins back in an pogo around the kitchen................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast