Life in the slow lane - Page 6

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: Life in the slow lane

Quote Originally Posted by bobo View Post
    Gasp
    Anybody care to translate ??

Basically, these chains have been around forever, have failed to recreate themselves (in a phrase, they suck) and are being replaced by new chains and restaurants with a more eclectic combination of food selections that cater to adventurous tastebuds. =p
    ".... But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
    All losses are restored and sorrows end."
    - William Shakespeare, Sonnet XXX

Quote Originally Posted by bobo View Post
    Gasp
    Anybody care to translate ??
    well... I read this article bemoaning the decline of what over here has
    standard business model : the industrial sit down food chain restaurant. I listed some the names but I understand if you never heard of them. Over here they are everywhere ( unless you're somewhere very rural). Why post this here? Well, this an age related thread, being generally geared toward the more aged,and in contrast to the younger crowd, and the general gist of this article was that the reason for this decline in the American standby was that younger people, the Millenials, were not patrons. The article could very easily be taken as a criticism of their eating habits.

Anyway... So Applebee's is one of the restauants. The name itself I think is a piece brilliant marketing , at least it was, sort of bringing to mind homey, home cooked food, which they don't sell. Its corporate,and it's s chain. I don't personally care for the food, but, it definitely was a success; was. I was sort of making a joke about poor Mrs Applebee', and whatever will she do? I don't know if there ever was an Applebee person but if there was they must be very wealthy, and not a very good cook, or someone just got the/came up with the name. I was hoping to sort of elicit old mother Hubbard, which was a traditional nursery rhyme back when.
    Last edited by Kevin; June 6th, 2017 at 10:39 AM.

Some things not to say. The wife and I have long since entered that stage where there is only trust and friendship to rely on, or if you romantics insist, non-physical love. We're very different personality types so things are generally lively. Unless you have a very solid relationship, don't mimic this conversation snippet we had today.

The wife is always trying to get me moving doing something or other**. When I'm tired or have other things to do, at first I often don't hear, but when she persists I answer, "Yes dear."

After she's heard enough "Yes dears" in a day, she sometimes gets a little more vocal.

Wore out today from trying to do a few chores, I replied, "Ladies and gentlemen, with no apologies I present Donna Rickles."

You might say it kept the conversation lively

** She means well, actually trying to keep my blood circulating.

---------

On another note, I noticed this collage of news clippings today. Seems to me these "journalists" would have learned more interacting on WF than from whatever college they went to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DA0qFMVXcAAqVOS.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	18367

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    well... I read this article bemoaning the decline of what over here has ...
    ..... but if there was they must be very wealthy, and not a very good cook, or someone just got the/came up with the name. I was hopping to sort of elicit old mother Hubbard, which was a traditional nursery rhyme back when.
    Whou, no I even understand the short, coded version !!
    - good the chain is broken, food should be eatable
    BOBO is an abbreviation for BOurgeois-BOhème Hidden Content
    Lighten up, there – things look different in Light than in Shadow Hidden Content

If your wife has her own career, try to get her interested in numerous other things before she retires. For most of my wife's career she managed major implementation projects for a large corporation. Now that she's retired, aside from golf I'm the only "project" she has to manage.

Site:
    Hidden Content

I am reminded of a sheep dog without a flock. I say! Since she's so good at things...Perhaps you could get her to work on procuring you a single occupant mini off-road vehicle... sort of an 'escape pod'.http://www.actiontrackchair.com/Defa...x#.WTlRYsRHanM

Great idea Kev I put one on my list for when I win the lottery. That way I could get out in the woods when the "sports" hunters come around, to throw firecrackers to scare off the wild turkeys, grouse, bears, and deer.

Site:
    Hidden Content

I don't know if this will count, but maybe I can get away with being young and connecting with this experience. For the first time ever today on my lunch break I discovered the TV show Bonanza. The seasons are on Hulu and I'm going to watch every single episode. I'm quite excited about it. I have a feeling at least one of you will have recalled a time watching this show ^_^
    ".... But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
    All losses are restored and sorrows end."
    - William Shakespeare, Sonnet XXX

med induced dumbness erased, or are meds an excuse

Last edited by LeeC; June 9th, 2017 at 01:21 PM.

Site:
    Hidden Content

Bonanza? Neverheardofit...Hoss.