Life in the slow lane - Page 5

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Life in the slow lane

This is really intended for the drones folks in cubes in the middle of office buildings.... No, they may not even have windows.
    Dream big, fight hard, live proud!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put them in a fruit salad.
    Chutzpah is calling that fruit salad "artisan salsa" and selling it for $6/jar.
    Dream big, fight hard, live proud!

Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    This is really intended for the drones folks in cubes in the middle of office buildings.... No, they may not even have windows.
    Been there, but still went outside every chance I got. There was a sign I left on my desk, "I'm in my other office."

Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    Chutzpah is calling that fruit salad "artisan salsa" and selling it for $6/jar.
    My idea of salsa is serrano peppers, with tomatillos, onions, garlic, and basil, which I make myself. Liberally spread on my morning huevos rancheros, it keeps my blood flowing

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Ran across this, and thought how true it is if one has had enough life to realize.

One of the things that draws writers to writing is that they can get things right that they got wrong in real life.” ~ Tobias Wolff

Site:
    Hidden Content

Yeah, making villains of former bosses and various co-workers I didn't like is fun as hell. Even knocked off a few in print (of course, they wouldn't have recognized themselves). I realize now if I had just kissed a few (bleep) I would have gotten more promotions. Oh well. A lot of them got their comeuppance when the company downsized, then sold out to the highest bidder.
    "Put not your trust not in princes, in the children of men,
    in whom there is no salvation."
    Psalm 146

Timely, isn't it?

On being thrifty and cautious. My old iMac got to the point where it wouldn't even boot up before I had a chance to wipe the disk. I didn't want to take the chance of identity theft, or whatever, so I inquired at the Genius Bar and one other outfit about having the disk wiped and recycling the iMac. They both wanted a tidy sum, so I pulled the hard drive out of the iMac (a tricky task) and drilled it so full of holes that no one will get anything off it. Then I packed up the parts and took it to our local "Transfer Station" (recycling center) where they charged me only $5 to accept it.

On another note, the following is a social media post I just started putting up.

Will our children be able to say the same?
    [David Attenborough's What A wonderful World]
    https://youtu.be/auSo1MyWf8g

** I can never get the BB code right to embed the video.

Site:
    Hidden Content

Lee...How wonderful this world is depends entirely upon where you are on the food chain. More are at the bottom. Real wealth is now in the hands of a few.
    I read the (non-political) book, Coming Apart in America, a couple of years ago. It foresaw this dangerous mess coming. The planet has come apart.

Done so many things wrong and trampled on so many feet in my three quarters of a century, that Iím grateful for what I have, especially those that have stuck by my side. The wife being within weeks of retirement, and our watching expenses more, I was genuinely surprised today when she came home with an early birthday present.

Iíve mentioned before that lightening took out a utility pole across the road, and our old iMac started dying soon after. To replace it I sold a few things and got a new 15Ē MacBook Pro that could handle not only my writing, but the more demanding illustration work Iím doing for my book. I wanted a laptop so I could easily use it in the hospital also, and the MacBook has all the power I need, but even the 15Ē screen is tiring when Iím working at my desk.

Anyway, the present the wife got me is a 27Ē LG HDMI display. I simply plugged it into my MacBook and presto I had a a much larger additional display. [MacOS is plug and play, not needing additional drivers and fooling around like some other OSs]

In the pic below you can see the relative size, though the screen image is a little washed and bluish because of the brightness of the display. The additional bluetooth keyboard I salvaged from the iMac. The app thatís running is GIMP, that I use for my illustration work. Thatís a gray wolf, not blue, that Iím working on at the moment.

I think what amazes me in part is the capacity and power of the MacBook. The first computer I worked on was an IBM 1130, with 16K (16 bit words) hardwired ferrite core memory, and a large pizza sized 512K disk. It took up more space than my desk does now. Oh, and the little black object behind my MacBook is a 500 gigabyte SS disk that Time Machine on the MacBook uses for automatic incremental backups.

By the way, my bedroom/office is the in the marryiní and buryiní room of this 1780ís farmhouse

Maybe the moral is, be thankful for what youíve got and maybe more will follow

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewSetup.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	18142

Site:
    Hidden Content

Business insider magazine has a story that the gall -darn'd m'lenials are putting mom & pop Applebee's, TGIF, and other assorted 'sit-down experience ' ilk outta business by going with different options. How is poor Mrs. Applebee's going to afford all those kids, and that dog, and that old shoe or boot or whatever she was living in?! Bare cupboards i tell ya. Dang it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Business insider magazine has a story that the gall -darn'd m'lenials are putting mom & pop Applebee's, TGIF, and other assorted 'sit-down experience ' ilk outta business by going with different options. How is poor Mrs. Applebee's going to afford all those kids, and that dog, and that old shoe or boot or whatever she was living in?! Bare cupboards i tell ya. Dang it.
    Gasp
    Anybody care to translate ??
    BOBO is an abbreviation for BOurgeois-BOhŤme Hidden Content
    Lighten up, there Ė things look different in Light than in Shadow Hidden Content