NaPoWriMo Prompts

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NaPoWriMo Prompts

NaPoWriMo Prompts

Here are some prompts for those who wish to use them. It is not necessary to work from a prompt, but many people find it sometimes helps with the creative process. Note that in the second post, there are picture prompts that can also be used.

1. Look at da Rules and find a rule or FAQ that you like. Write it as a poem.
    2. Write a 26-line poem where each line begins with a letter of the alphabet, in order.
    3. Write a poem without the letter s.
    4. Go to Wikipedia and click on the Random Page link. Either write about what's on the page or use the title as your title and write something completely different.
    5. What's in your name? What should be?
    6. What does heritage mean to you? Describe yours.
    7. Mix and match two cliches, proverbs, or sayings. Any two will do. A day late (and a dollar short and all dressed up) and nowhere to go for example. Write a poem about it.
    8. Write a poem that uses anaphora.
    9. Write a blessing.
    10. Choose a short form like haiku or tanka and write a series of poems in that form that explore the same topic.
    11. As Easter and Pesach fall in April, maybe a poem on either theme.
    12. Write a poem, for better or worse, about a teacher from school.
    13. Open a dictionary, page through until an unknown word catches your eye. Read the definition and then try writing a poem containing the new word.
    14. Pick up a book near you -- a real book, not an ebook -- and turn to page 179. Go to the sixth paragraph of that page and use the LAST word of that paragraph as the title of your poem. (my thanks to https://www.random.org/ for a random number from 1-250 and from 1-15)
    15. Go to https://www.random.org/colors/hex -- it will give you a random color. Write a poem about it.
    16. What is the quietest place you've ever been?
    17. That one person who... Tell us more.
    18. Read Valentine by Carol Ann Duffy. Let it inspire you. Or read another poem by another poet. The point is to take something away.
    19. Write a phone poem. Pick up your phone or tablet and start with I and use only the words that appear in your suggestion bar. You don't have to use the middle one, or any specific one but you can't cheat and use words that aren't there. Stop when you feel you're done.
    20. Write a "love" poem to/for/about a thing you like or enjoy rather than a person.
    21. Go to the the list of common poetic forms here and try one that is new to you.
    22. Titles cannot be copyrighted. Take the title of a famous poem and write your own completely different poem with the same title.
    Last edited by PiP; March 5th, 2018 at 09:58 AM.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    — Robert G. Allen

Photo prompts:

1. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_0719.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	17413
    2. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cherub.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	17414
    3. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horse.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	17415
    4. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_3768.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	17416
    5. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8 (2).jpg 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	17417
    6. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14124459_10207365686564787_5800415024348082274_o.jpg 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	17418
    7. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gm1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	17419
    8. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leaf mono.jpg 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	17420
    Last edited by astroannie; March 25th, 2017 at 02:28 AM.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Yes, please! I mentioned it somewhere...the coffeehouse roundtable maybe. The more we get the better prepared we'll be.
    — Robert G. Allen

Choose a short form like haiku or tanka and write a series of poems in that form that explore the same topic.

As Easter falls in April, maybe a poem on that theme e.g. bunnies, chocolate eggs, crucifixion etc.

Write a poem, for better or worse, about a teacher from school (if you can remember that far back).

Contextual vocabulary...

Open a dictionary, page through until an unknown word catches your eye. Read the definition and then try writing a poem containing the new word.

I did this last year quite by accident and ended up with some surprisingly decent material. The word I got stuck in my head, oddly enough, was lollop. It means to bounce. I liked the litany of it so I used it.

Hand me a d100 and a d20. ....
    — Robert G. Allen

2018 visual prompt images
    (permissions granted for links to this thread)
    by WF artists:

H.Brown, Drawings of mine

Firemajic, Fire Fox

Escorial, watercolors

BlondeAverageReader, Colorful Kent & New Camera

HCole2576, My Barbed Wire Art
    & Always have Camera Ready

TuesdayEve, Experimenting upload photos

many thanks to all!

will edit in as permissions granted
    Last edited by -xXx-; March 18th, 2018 at 07:58 PM.

How about finding a work of art that is of historical significance and exploring the story behind it? I wrote a poem about the Venus of Willendorf last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast