Any recommendations on a good editor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any recommendations on a good editor?

Any recommendations on a good editor?

I was going to Google it but... I figured asking here might be a safer route. Do you guys recommend any certain editors for novels? I've never hired an editor before, so I was wondering the best way to go about it. Thanks!

P.N. Elrod. Google her. She's neo-friendly and that's not true of all editors. This is her day job. I've never hired her but when I need an editor, I'll go to her first. I've net her in person and attended panels where she was a participant. I've also met other editors and yada-yada but she Impressed me.

She has no idea who I am so dropping my name (either username or the other one) will get you nowhere. She has no clue I'm pimping her.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    Robert G. Allen

I can't recommend one, but will point out something all too often missed: Unless you are presently writing on a professional level, an editor is a waste of money because they cannot take your work and "fix" it so that a publisher, or even a reader, will find it entertaining. If they could, they'd be making a living by doing that to their own writing. The role of an editor is to find the mistakes you could fix, but are so close to the writing you miss them. They are educated eyes that will see, and point out, structural problems. So the editor, other then for grammar, mostly tells you what needs fixing, they don't fix.

So if the editor says that a section reads as too passive, will you know how to make it more active? If they say the scene goal isn't obvious will you know what to do? If they circle a line like, "A wave of warmth filled Jim when he saw Janet in the doorway," will you know why, and how to fix it? If not, you're not yet ready for an editor

So here's the problem. If you are writing on a professional level, an editor experienced in your genre* will be expensive. If not, a half dozen good books on fiction writing technique will be a lot cheaper and a lot more effective, because as Mark Twain said, “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.” And getting rid of the "just ain't so," puts you closer to needing that editor.

* Every genre differs, but to meaningfully edit to make your work entertaining to the readers of a given genre the editor must know them intimately. A romance editor given a male adventure to edit would butcher it, and vice-versa.

@jay greenstein I would like to think I write on a professional level. Of course then works like 50 Shades of Grey get published and turned into a movie so really, what is "professional"? Haha.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Professional is knowing how a scene on the page differs from one on the stage of screen, and why. It's knowing what the elements of a scene are and how to manage them—and why it will almost always end in disaster. It's knowing the difference between POV and viewpoint, and all the other things the pros take for granted, because in our school days we learn only nonfiction writing skills.

Writing is a profession, remember, one they offer degree programs at the university for. Yes, you can acquire the information without having attended the university, bus the information you would acquire there is necessary, be it learned from a professor, a book, or a mentor.

Well, there are two sides to this coin, too. It only has to be professional enough. The way you talk about it, Jay, it sounds as if perfection is a requisite. There is a range of what is professional and if you're in the range, you're in. Perfection isn't a range. It's not even a reasonable target.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    Robert G. Allen

Well anyways thanks for the editor recommendation. I'll look into it.

Here is another, I've used her quite a bit and would definitely recommend her: https://geyereditorial.com/

I've been getting my work edited for awhile and I'm certainly not a professional. And I know that a lot of folks here will say to do it yourself but even a professional will not necessarily catch that they used a word over and over in a manuscript, that they have slipped into passive voice or changed tenses. Some people edit their own work better than others.

As always, do what makes sense for you!

First off, great question Clubs! (Is it alright to call you Clubs?)

The only thing I'd like to add is you might one to make sure your editor is the right stylistic match for your book. I'm sure you have thought about it but one that functions primarily in certain genres might not be the best fit.

That's my two cents!

If I ever do decide to self-publish my book I'm going to take in mind the two editors that astroannie and TKent have provided.

@danielstj thanks & yes you can call me whatever you like it's fine. Thanks for the tips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast