My alcoholism is over!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My alcoholism is over!!

My alcoholism is over!!

I'm pleased to report that the days of drinking too much are officially over. I tested what would happen if I went one night with no liquor and the results?

I'm starting to notice a distinct improvement in my health (mental and physical) since I stopped drinking. Anxiety level is lowered to near non-existence and I have more energy.

The craving is still there, but I will treat it with coke, sprite and tonic water.

Huzzah for me!!

Whoiooooo!!

I'm still off and on with my smoking! But this is inspirational!
    Good luck and all the best !

Well done on your abstinence.
    I don't want to spoil the party but if it is alcoholism, it's never over.
    To say it's over would mean that it's safe to drink.

It isn't.

(wet blanket alert)

ETA: Just noticed the humour. Reading comprehension failed me first time around It's been a hard day.
    Last edited by Phil Istine; February 6th, 2017 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraroel View Post
    Whoiooooo!!

I'm still off and on with my smoking! But this is inspirational!
    Good luck and all the best !
    Thanks, happy to be an inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    Well done on your abstinence.
    I don't want to spoil the party but if it is alcoholism, it's never over.
    To say it's over would mean that it's safe to drink.

It isn't.

(wet blanket alert)

ETA: Just noticed the humour. Reading comprehension failed me first time around It's been a hard day.
    True, the craving will be there, but I think I'll treat it just like I treat anxiety: It's there, I know it's there, but it's not the boss of me. It can just sit in the caboose and scream all it wants and I don't have to listen to it.

East Yorkshire Coast, England, United Kingdom
    Well done and congratulations!
    Who Is Blind?
    The one who is unable to perceive another world.
    Who is dumb?
    The one who cannot speak a kind and loving word at the right moment.
    Who is poor?
    The one who is plagued by too many desires.
    Who is rich?
    The one whose heart is contented.

Anon.

Congratulations, TGS! This is fantastic news. You will continue to note improvements in your health on all fronts. Some subtle, some dramatic.

Not that it compares it all, but I gave up soft drinks in April of 2015. It was MY addiction. And the more caffeinated, the better. But, I turned 40 this past year and, with that approaching, I kept thinking that I needed to do SOMETHING to improve my health. I'd gotten up to 210 lbs. Now I am at 170, give or take one. I feel better, I'm not in as much constant pain, win-win.

Keep up the great work!!
    "The passion for freedom of the mind is strong and everlasting, which is fortunate, because so is the passion to squelch it." A. M. Rosenthal

"When you doubt your power, you give power to your doubt." Wes Studi as The Sphinx, Mystery Men

long may it continue....
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Thanks everyone. =) In truth, it's the evenings I'm dreading as those were my usual 'drinking times' when I would let myself drink anywhere up to two to three beers every day. Of course, it was at home but still...

But I'm going to take it one day at a time, indeed one hour at a time and just treat the cravings like my anxiety. I know it's there, but I don't have to listen to it. It's not the boss of me. I am the boss of it.

I can't speak from this specific experience, but I've had other choose-not experiences.

You can try to plan for it and be proactive. Have something in mind so that you aren't having to tell yourself no but are telling yourself yes to something else. Something you do want.
    Dream big, fight hard, live proud!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast