My alcoholism is over!! - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My alcoholism is over!!

AstroAnnie, know what the problem is? All the other stuff I enjoy doing (gaming, reading, writing, surfing the internet, etc.) I did with beer. This puts me in a strange predicament in which I must now re-learn how to do all of that without the beer being involved. It's possible, but damn it feels very strange.

Blog Entries
    Congrats to you - the boss of you! I'd been addicted to cigarettes for years and well know the anxiety of giving up my "false friend". What finally helped was changing my self-speak:

Rather than saying "I must QUIT smoking" , I began saying "I will be smoke FREE". Replacing thoughts of deprivation with those of liberation helped tremendously. We should never underestimate the power of what we tell ourselves. The re-learning won't' be all that overwhelming. One little step....

Think I'm addicted to smilies tonight...LOL
    “The man who cannot visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot.”
    Andre Breton

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
    Congrats to you - the boss of you! I'd been addicted to cigarettes for years and well know the anxiety of giving up my "false friend". What finally helped was changing my self-speak:

Rather than saying "I must QUIT smoking" , I began saying "I will be smoke FREE". Replacing thoughts of deprivation with those of liberation helped tremendously. We should never underestimate the power of what we tell ourselves. The re-learning won't' be all that overwhelming. One little step....

Think I'm addicted to smilies tonight...LOL
    That's an interesting point. Instead of using 'negative language', I can use 'positive language'. Since I respond well to positive reinforcements, saying things like, "I'll be beer-free tonight, so...tea and writing/gaming/surfing the internet/reading time!!"

Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by Green Shield That's an interesting point. Instead of using 'negative language', I can use 'positive language'. Since I respond well to positive reinforcements, saying things like, "I'll be beer-free tonight, so...tea and writing/gaming/surfing the internet/reading time!!"
    So glad this is helpful.

I don't know if you're familiar with John Cheever. I read his daughter's auto-biography about growing up with her famous alcoholic father. I will never forget what he passed onto her.

"It's not so much the drinking that's great. It's hiding the bottles".

The "dance" of addiction. Many don't know just how complicated addictions can be. More applause your way and enjoy many beer-free nights!
    Last edited by SilverMoon; February 8th, 2017 at 06:46 PM.
    Andre Breton

Shit y'all, the craving is hitting me hard. Coping tips?! D: I'll drink tonic water when I get home, that was my idea.

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Shield View Post
    Shit y'all, the craving is hitting me hard. Coping tips?! D: I'll drink tonic water when I get home, that was my idea.

Everyone's challenge is different, my cheating hours are the evening hours also... so when I feel like I cant hang on, I call a friend to come spend the night, or I go to their place... That works for me... Hang in there, and tomorrow when you get up and look at yourself in the mirror... you wont have any regrets... *hugs*... sending good vibes your way...
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by The Green Shield Shit y'all, the craving is hitting me hard. Coping tips?! D: I'll drink tonic water when I get home, that was my idea.
    Went through several "tip articles" and finally found something on the more refreshing side. Hope this helps.
    https://www.promises.com/articles/ad...e-in-recovery/
    Andre Breton

Although, by most standards, I don't drink excessively, by medical standards I should not have been having that 2nd glass of wine each night. Quite by accident I discovered how to stop. Poolside I was given a glass of what I knew to be pretty good wine, but did not enjoy drinking it, at all. It was in a short, regular plastic glass. It was the glass itself that I liked the most. I know that sounds crazy. Now you'd think I would have thrown out my wine glasses. Are you nuts? Nope, I kept the glasses, but my second pour is warm temperature cranberry juice. I keep small bottles, so there's no need to refrigerate. Or, when I'm really nuts, I pour half wine (only the cheap stuff do I ruin) and half juice.

Hope you find a trick that works for you, my friend. sas

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on saying goodbye to the drink. I have recently quit smoking myself and at first I found it to be so hard and kept falling back into smoking when I was stressed or when I smelt someone else smoking. However now after almost a year of perseverance I have not smoked a cigarette in months and yesterday while on the bus I encountered that horrible smoker smell when a women sat in front of me, can now say Ifeel much better for giving them up after smoking for the last nineteen years.

So my words of advice woild be if you do fall off the wagon, get back on it and try again as one day the fight does get easier. Take care of yourself.
    Check out my ebook
    Hidden Content on sale now.
    Hidden Content

Memories at midnight is now out in Hidden Content

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast