New Hobby: Mosaics

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Hobby: Mosaics

New Hobby: Mosaics

As part of a gardening project I want to 'tart' up some old flower pots to add colour and interesting focal points to shady areas of my garden. After a visit to a garden centre, where the lady owner tiled anything and everything, I thought I'd try my hand at mosaics.

To get a feel for handling and cutting the glass tiles AND, not covering everything in glue, I've started with four basic coasters. Considering I have twelve fingers and four thumbs I am 'reasonably' pleased with the result so far.

Stage 1.

Glue the border tiles to the wooden coaster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coasters-stage 1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	16903

Okay, I know the border tiles aren't straight. I was posting to WF and by the time I realised the glue had set!

Stage 2

Once the border tiles are set, I cut some tiles in random shapes to fill in the centre.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coasters-stage 2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	16904

Stage 3

Which is applying the grout -tomorrow!

This is a good hobby if you want to be creative while you write.

Has anyone else tried mosaics? I need some advice, please.
    Last edited by PiP; January 28th, 2017 at 10:06 PM.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

looks great...
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Blog Entries
    I tried my hand at mosaics when I was ten but it was a get set mosaic set, you made tiles out of plaster of paris with coloured chalk and grouted them with plain white plaster. I made a mirror, small chest and chalice. It was great fun however I've not tried my hand at adult mosaics with tiles.
    Yours look brill Pip maybe whenI have spare pennies I too will give it a go. Please keep sharing your makes though.
    Fancy joining a photgraphy group? The check out the Hidden Content group.

Visit My Blog to get to know me better.Hidden Content Hidden Content A fun group of like minded new writers.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content A place for young writers to talk and chill.

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.

Thanks, HB. I've never attempted mosaics before and i can't believe how much I've learnt just from four small coasters which I am still plucking up courage to grout!

Today I went to a carboot sale searching through the toot for old china/terracotta plant pots, mats, a coffee table to mosaic. Old plates and anything I could break up to create tiles more cheaply than buying packs.... what did I come home with? Why, more succulents to add to my extensive collection! The car boot sales are a great source of base products if you are looking to upcycle... not so much so in Portugal but the UK is brill.

I always go to a carboot searching for bargains looking like one of the great unwashed. If you go dressed up and look like you can pay more I've noticed the prices go up LOL Our local bins are better source for wombles like me because when people have their pools retiled the builders dump the old tiles by the side of the bins.
    Last edited by PiP; February 6th, 2017 at 02:00 AM.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

You became very British in that post, PiP. I'm an Anglophile and couldn't decipher some of that--what's a womble?

New hobbies are always great. I really like those coasters.

The - Not covering everything in glue - is the hardest part to get right. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
    You became very British in that post, PiP. I'm an Anglophile and couldn't decipher some of that--what's a womble?
    Toot: is other people's junk.
    Great unwashed: hippies, trailer/caravan travellers.

Wombles: Listen to the words

Wombling
    : the second definition. Not the first. I had not realised until now the word had been hijacked for something so ...

FT, you are certainly right about the glue!
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

WOMBLES!!! I loved the wombles while I was grown up... *sings badly* Wombles wombling free, making use of the everyday thing people leave behind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Thanks, HB. I've never attempted mosaics before and i can't believe how much I've learnt just from four small coasters which I am still plucking up courage to grout!

Today I went to a carboot sale searching through the toot for old china/terracotta plant pots, mats, a coffee table to mosaic. Old plates and anything I could break up to create tiles more cheaply than buying packs.... what did I come home with? Why, more succulents to add to my extensive collection! The car boot sales are a great source of base products if you are looking to upcycle... not so much so in Portugal but the UK is brill.

I always go to a carboot searching for bargains looking like one of the great unwashed. If you go dressed up and look like you can pay more I've noticed the prices go up LOL Our local bins are better source for wombles like me because when people have their pools retiled the builders dump the old tiles by the side of the bins.
    First off Pip the Wombles are amazing.

Secondly I used to love going carboots on a sunday as a child maybe I'll have to give them ago now. I would jump right in with the grouting as it does enhance the mosaic and you have done the hardest part in creating your mosaics, you just have to remember to wash it off the tiles before it dries, I think.

Good luck with your grouting.
    Fancy joining a photgraphy group? The check out the Hidden Content group.

Visit My Blog to get to know me better.Hidden Content Hidden Content A fun group of like minded new writers.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content A place for young writers to talk and chill.

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by H.Brown View Post

Good luck with your grouting.
    Watch this space!
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast