Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Hobby: Mosaics

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Gary is now complete. Because my granddaughter is fascinated by geckos and lizards I am giving her Garry for Christmas.

Attachment 19720
    Gary is absolutely awesome now! Love it.

"Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder."

Jalaluddin Rumi

California in the Sierra Navada foothills
    Carole

Some mosaics I wanted to share with you. Created by my developmentally disabled Clients/students. Click on the images to make them bigger. I had them do this as class projects. They all worked on them. The wall hanging below went into a public building in down town Sacramento, California

1. These 2 lilies are about 4 foot tall, wall hanging.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mosaic lilies 0008.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	19750
    It is leaning against some 3 foot lockers. It's made of broken plates from the dump. You can cut the pieces with wire cutters or professional tlle clippers used by tile setters. For smaller pieces wire cutters work the best.

2. This is a small end table top, 4 pigeons and flower

Name:	mosaic table 22.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	19751

These two table tops were made from scrap tiles we got form some tile setters. Fractured them with a hammer to make the pieces irregular and then nipped them down into a common size to use on the table tops. The thickness of the tiles gave a level surface to the table tops.

3. Another small end table top of a bird, a swift.

Name:	Mosaic table top 058.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	19752
    The floor tiles in the background are about a foot square.
    Last edited by RHPeat; October 8th, 2017 at 09:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Those are great RH.

I designed them and they put them together. It was great fun working with these guys. They all enjoyed the work and seeing it finished. We went to the building after the wall piece was put up and they were all very proud. Their eyes truly lit up to see their work in a public place.

a poet friend
    RH Peat
    Last edited by RHPeat; October 8th, 2017 at 10:25 PM.

These are wonderful, Ron! The lilies are amazing and look so lifelike. The tables tops are also beautiful; they must have taken ages to mosaic. Thank you for sharing
    Check Out Our Members' Creative Works on <FLASHES of BRILLIANCE>

The big piece took some time probably about 3 months. We had a deadline to meet for the building project. But the smaller ones only about a month. But they had nothing else to do but their art. We had them for 6 hour days with an hour off for lunch. So time wasn't an issue with them at all. It beat sitting in front of a TV set for 8 hours. We did a lot of different crafts. I had a helper and she worked with fabric things including weaving on a loom, knitting and sewing. It was very rewarding work in the sense that we gave them purpose to their lives rather than just setting around. Plus all their art was for sale to the public. So they made money as well. A couple had real followers.

a poet friend
    RH Peat

At least they got to sell them! Yes, I can imagine it was rewarding with a group.

I am starting a small round outside coffee table at home using swimming pool mosaic tiles I scavenged from the bins. The table was also wombled so the only cost is glue and grout. And The tree of life I will work on in class.
    Check Out Our Members' Creative Works on <FLASHES of BRILLIANCE>

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RHPeat View Post
    I designed them and they put them together. It was great fun working with these guys. They all enjoyed the work and seeing it finished. We went to the building after the wall piece was put up and they were all very proud. Their eyes truly lit up to see their work in a public place.

a poet friend
    RH Peat
    I bet they did such lovely pieces. I miss making mosaics, maybe when I have some spare pennies I will have to try my hand at it again, if I do I will share.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234