What's Growing in Your Garden? - Page 3


Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 415

Thread: What's Growing in Your Garden?

  1. #21
    The top 4-6" of my soil under the native oak is highly reactive toward wood: it rots it. The undisturbed soil underneath, however, preserves it. Isn't that absolutely fascinating?! lol.
    I think, in general, there are things in my soil that, given enough constant moisture, kill many of the plants. I've lost strawberry trees, ceonuthus, coffee berry, Rosemary. I imagine fungal 'threads' that can only 'join' given enough moisture. There are also invasive roots of something that will grow up into a pot and kill whatever is in there.
    Yes, it's a jungle out there, and the plants bite.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
    My mom had a green thumb and could bring plants back from the brink. I have one plant of hers that my husband was able to save. Everything else is new and has been replaced at least once.
    Green fingers can be a problem too. I've spent hours walking round the garden, pot in hand, looking for a space big enough to plant the wretched thing. This causes funny looks from him indoors and he may mention a squirrel searching for a place to put its nut. He knows he's safe, l don't have a space big enough to plant him!

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenwales View Post
    I can only enjoy my garden when my neighbour isn't there. I will sit in it in the summer and she'll go outside in her garden and smoke and ruin it for me! She's retiring soon so there's goes my garden time. I only have a small garden and every year I hope to get more pots of herbs, my dream is to have a herb garden but I'm not much of a gardener, I follow my mother I think, she killed a cactus
    To have success growing herbs in pots, the most important thing is good drainage. I know Wales gets a lot of rain. So mix in 20% sharp sand with soil based compost. A sunny spot is also a must. Don't feed them too offen, if they grow lush and soft all the flavour goes.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
    My mom had a green thumb and could bring plants back from the brink. I have one plant of hers that my husband was able to save. Everything else is new and has been replaced at least once.
    We managed to keep one of Mr. Pip's mum's plants alive for 30 years after her passing. IT was a feather fern like asparagus. I lost count of the times we forgot about it, and we were left with just born dust. We always managed to revive it but the last time it just gave up. It was at least 50 years old. I was upset because it only died because I neglected it.

    ]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The top 4-6" of my soil under the native oak is highly reactive toward wood: it rots it. The undisturbed soil underneath, however, preserves it. Isn't that absolutely fascinating?! lol.
    Absolutely! I am fascinated by soil. And as I discovered to my epril soild means different things to different people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    . There are also invasive roots of something that will grow up into a pot and kill whatever is in there.
    Yes, it's a jungle out there, and the plants bite.
    This has happened to me on a number of occasions. I wondered why one of my pots of strawberries were dying off only to find a whole nest of roots from a nearby hedge plus a thick leader root about 1/2" thick from a fir tree. Needless to say both were enjoying the love and attention the strawberries were receiving.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeAverageReader View Post
    Green fingers can be a problem too. I've spent hours walking round the garden, pot in hand, looking for a space big enough to plant the wretched thing. This causes funny looks from him indoors and he may mention a squirrel searching for a place to put its nut. He knows he's safe, l don't have a space big enough to plant him!
    oh... oh... I know that feeling! The times I've bought a plant on a whim. When I get home I walk round and round looking for the perfect spot. Unfortunately, more often than not I need to move something else to make room or it ends up in a pot! We have salt winds from the Atlantic which some plants object to.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeAverageReader View Post
    A sunny spot is also a must. Don't feed them too offen, if they grow lush and soft all the flavour goes.
    I was not aware of this! Good tip, thank you.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content






  5. #25
    When buying cacti with flowers always check the flowers are real. It never occurred to me suppliers would glue or attach artificial flowers with a stick.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cacti-fake-flower.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	16813

    #gutted
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content






  6. #26
    OK so I'm showing off, here's one l grew earlier. A succulent, not a cactus. Living stones Lithops, real flowers look shiny.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0328.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	16816


  7. #27
    Wow... they are amazing! I've just researched 'living stones' and I am now on a mission to add to my collection. They are beautiful. I can't say I've seen them here... Thanks, Angel. Mr PiP is not going to be happy....

    And they have just given me an idea for a poem!
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content






  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Wow... they are amazing! I've just researched 'living stones' and I am now on a mission to add to my collection. They are beautiful. I can't say I've seen them here... Thanks, Angel. Mr PiP is not going to be happy....

    And they have just given me an idea for a poem!
    Glad you liked my lithops, I grew them from seed. But if a couple of years is too long to wait, by all means buy some. They all have similar flowers in shades of yellow and white. The best bit is some smell lovely, on the down side some don't smell at all. Happy hunting.

  9. #29
    I am usually the total fascist with struggling plants, I get rid of them and plant healthy ones, or weed out all the struggling seedlings and simply plant out the best, but even I have my moments. About four or five years ago I was given a camelia in a pot of dry hard earth that was two sticks about 18 inches tall, one completely dead, the othet with one leaf. Last year it flowered for the first time, four or five white flowers with lemon yellow centres, and I planted it out in a sheltered spot. It is thriving, about three feet tall now, covered in leaves and flower buds, with a number of new shoots coming from the base. I hope the frosts we are having don't damage the flowers too much.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

    A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

  10. #30
    I want to grow daffodils this year or buy them in a pot to come back every year, I love them because they're everywhere by March and I'm a bit patriotic about them being Welsh

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.