What's Growing in Your Garden? - Page 39

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29313233343536373839

Thread: What's Growing in Your Garden?

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do, too.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    Planted another couple of blueberry bushes. Costco had them on sale, and we had some room. The robins will enjoy their berries soon enough.
    My mom let me plant a wild raspberry her flower garden when I was a teen. It was awesome. It took up the entire corner and she never let me forget how upset she was that she let me plant it in her flower garden. So I was out there, faithfully, whenever she was, digging up the new canes in an attempt to stop its spread and preserve my happy little raspberry. It gave the most amazingly sweet fruit--which I used in surprise raspberry pancakes for her as a bribe to keep it in her flower garden. (The bribe always worked.)

The reason I popped this in here was because of your mention of the birds enjoying your blueberries. Seeing birds in the bush meant hurry and run out there with a basket to pick everything I could before they absconded with my sweet raspberries! (I doubt I ever harvested more than half of the crop.) Then a friend took me to her walk-in, fully netted raspberry hut. (I don't know what else to call it--it was a framed, house-like structure drapped in dark netting over two neat rows of canes.) She never worried about losing her berries.

So, long story short, have you considered using netting? I wouldn't think it would have to be very elaborate and you'd only have to use it for a short while before rolling it up for next year.
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

I had fleece over my strawberries last year, and couldn't figure why the birds were not having the ones peeking out the end. Then I lifted it and found the cat had found a nice warm place to sleep underneath it. Best bird deterrent ever, I am wondering about a curled up pretend, sleeping cat. Could be commercial if it worked.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

New Nemesia

Introducing Masquerade, tiny flowers that smell of coconut, with rather creepy faces.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06CBFA3E-79A3-4601-8D30-5C7F85092154.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	23774

So, long story short, have you considered using netting?
    Last year we tried a net. It reduced the overall loss to our winged brethren. But being neophytes, we left gaps in the net, and some industrious birdies got in.
    Unfortunately, not all got back out again. Oh, the robins did. I think it was a finch that got stuck in the netting. Poor thing dangled for weeks (late in the season).
    Of course, my wife made ME dispose of the death-chamber net.
    In retrospect, IDK if the loss of berries is worth the loss of birdies.

"Now let's all agree, never to be creative again."

Put the fleece back on the strawberries yesterday when I found the first one eaten by birds, a couple of hours later I saw the cat sneaking in under the end of it.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do, too.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    Last year we tried a net. It reduced the overall loss to our winged brethren. But being neophytes, we left gaps in the net, and some industrious birdies got in.
    Unfortunately, not all got back out again. Oh, the robins did. I think it was a finch that got stuck in the netting. Poor thing dangled for weeks (late in the season).
    Of course, my wife made ME dispose of the death-chamber net.
    In retrospect, IDK if the loss of berries is worth the loss of birdies.
    Oh! That's awful!!!

(Sorry to hear you got volunteered for graveyard duty!)

Wrong size netting?
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd