What's Growing in Your Garden? - Page 38

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2830313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: What's Growing in Your Garden?

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    My hop rhizomes are starting to break the surface. The first four came up pretty quick, while the 5th just sprouted today. The sixth and final hop hasn't come up yet. But I'm still hopeful (hopful?)

Never grown a plant from rootstock, so I'm having to figure this out. I'm getting multiple sprouts from some of the cuttings. I think I'll need to prune them back eventually so the grown can be channeled into a single climbing bine. I'm just not sure when will be the best time. Maybe after a couple of months of growth, at two feet or so. Wish me luck.
    Hi Winston, as someone who lives in a hop growing area l really hope you understand what an enormous plant youíre growing. Donít go cutting the tops off the shoots, reduce the number of shoots from each rootstock to 4 or 6 and train them vertically, there was a reason why men who strung the climbing twine for the bines worked on stilts! this might help...

2. Choose the location in which you want to plant your hops. The area you choose will need to get at least 6-8 hours of direct sunlight every day. In addition to sunlight, your plant will also need the following: Twine for the hops to grow on. (A bine is a climbing plant which climbs by its shoots. It is distinct from a vine, which climbs using tendrils or suckers.) Hops need vertical space. The bines may stretch 25 feet or longer into the air. Possible ways to grow your hops are on a tall trellis near your house, or a tall pole using hop twine. Planted hops will grow well on an 18-foot trellis and can grow vigorously when limited to 12 - 15 feet of trellis. Choose a spot with good drainage.

I grew an ornamental Glolden Hop for a while, till it decided to take over the world and caused nasty red wheals on any exposed skin that came in contact with its rough stems.

Best of luck

day after i seeded garlic onions,
    potted plant fairy
    left well cared for clump
    in certified organic soil.

and a mixed dozen eggs (chicken/duck).
    didn't plant those.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    Love it!
    Last edited by Derabont; May 16th, 2019 at 02:06 PM.

Here is a guided tour around my garden. It's a lot of work... enjoy. Anyone else made tippy pots?
    Hidden Content

Flashes now accepting submissions. Please submit your poetry, flash fiction and writing articles <Hidden Content >

bougainvillea.....
    *sigh*
    *the sky smile kind*

Grass; drought followed by rain, and then some sun and the grass is going " Grow! "
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do, too.
    Blog Entries
    While I don't have a garden, I do spend a lot of time outdoors. A couple weeks ago I was out for a drive and had to do a double-take at what was poking its head up out of the grass starting to grow long in the ditch beside the road. I think it was a female pheasant. She was light brown in color with darker, spotted lines running down her back. Such a surprise! She makes the fourth pheasant I've seen since we moved back last fall.

Since then, we've had a ton of Canada goose hatchlings. Mama and daddy goose keep their brood between them while they graze between the road and the many retention ponds we have. They're soo cute! They're also everywhere. (I wonder why I never noticed how many we had when I lived here before?)
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

Canada geese are like that, they have very early morning culls in the London parks because they get to be so many they destroy the grass and plants. They do it at first light to avoid the handbag swinging old ladies

Pheasants get bred around here for shooting and certain times of year when let out they are everywhere. We had a male one living in our back gardens for a couple of years, I don't know if he had sussed it was safer than out in the fields or if he just liked the bird table
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do, too.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Canada geese are like that, they have very early morning culls in the London parks because they get to be so many they destroy the grass and plants. They do it at first light to avoid the handbag swinging old ladies

Pheasants get bred around here for shooting and certain times of year when let out they are everywhere. We had a male one living in our back gardens for a couple of years, I don't know if he had sussed it was safer than out in the fields or if he just liked the bird table
    Olly, that is just plain cool to know. I don't know any game bird hunters but have inadvertantly run into them during quail season out west while hiking. They're awful persnickety about their dogs. About the geese, here they are protected. We used to have thousands of them in the park back home; I am sure the handbag ladies would run away from them! Ours are pretty opinionated birds.

Here's a funny story about how opinionated they can be. A couple of weeks back, my husband had to pull the trash out of the retention pond at work. I was there that day and commented to him about the hawk circling overhead as he worked. A little while later, there's this clatter in the lobby. The geese were attacking the front door! Wow, were they stirred up. Turned out the hawk had lunch around the same time he was picking up the trash. Unfortunately for him, the geese decided to peg the crime of their hawk-raided nest on him. For the next week, anytime he drove into the parking lot, here they came honking after him to hound that front door! They may not be so smart, but when they've got their minds made up they sure can be persistent!
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

Built the trellis for my hops (12 feet tall). Only one bine is ready to start climbing. I'm waiting till next week to mount the trellis to my raised bed, then maybe I can train another couple bines.
    On the vine front, my grapes are starting to climb. I ran some wire between the poles so when they get tall enough, I can set them horizontally.
    Planted another couple of blueberry bushes. Costco had them on sale, and we had some room. The robins will enjoy their berries soon enough.

"Now let's all agree, never to be creative again."