I want to grow as a poet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to grow as a poet

I want to grow as a poet

There's a lot of jargon that goes completely over my head. I'd like to improve as a poet so at the expense of sounding like a noobskiis,

What's meter?
    "Love your enemies." - Jesus

http://www.volecentral.co.uk/vf/

You'll find lots of useful info here.
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Meter is a unit of rhythm in poetry, the pattern of the beats. It is also called a foot. Each foot has a certain number of syllables in it, usually two or three syllables. The difference in types of meter is which syllables are accented and which are not.
    Read more at http://examples.yourdictionary.com/e...7BdeYXZpCRO.99
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Bloggsworth View Post
    http://www.volecentral.co.uk/vf/

You'll find lots of useful info here.
    The link has a lot of useful information. I bookmarked it.
    I prefer to hear directly from a poet as opposed to a link. I wanna hear how certain things are explained by the poets who use them ya know?

So meter is the rythem of the piece? Could I get an example?

Well, there are several kinds of meter. As PiP explained the lines can be broken into different "feet". These feet break down between the accents on a line and the syllables in the line--at least in English. Every language breaks down differently. For example French is mostly accentual while Japanese is syllabic.

I'll be able to give you better explanations if I were at work where I keep my poetry writing books.

If I recall, you're a rap fan, right? Listen to the way Eminem emphasizes certain words (or any rap artist, really) and you'll hear the basics of meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolem View Post
    The link has a lot of useful information. I bookmarked it.
    I prefer to hear directly from a poet as opposed to a link. I wanna hear how certain things are explained by the poets who use them ya know?
    To start with something fairly simple:

An iambic beat is two syllables with the stronger beat coming second (da-DUM) - like a heartbeat. Example from a line of mine (so maybe not the greatest example):

An island nation ruled the waves.

That has four iambic beats (stressed syllables are in bold). A lot of poetry has five iambic beats to a line (iambic pentameter).

If you want a line with syllables 1, 3, 5, 7 etc. stressed, that is fine too. It's like DA-dum. That is known as a trochee.

That's it for now. There are loads more but those are two of the most basic.

So, da-DUM = iambic
    DA-dum = trochee

EDIT: Actually, I should really have referred to them as feet rather than beats. Just those two bits of information should give you something to play around with for a while.
    Last edited by Phil Istine; January 15th, 2017 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel View Post

If I recall, you're a rap fan, right? Listen to the way Eminem emphasizes certain words (or any rap artist, really) and you'll hear the basics of meter.
    I notice Eminem uses a lot of stretch rhymes like ' birthday, first place' not to mention he's one of the best if not the best at keeping rhythem and rhyme within a beat. Is that what meter is? Keeping ryhmically consistant?

Meter can change from line to line but it sounds and looks amateur unless executed very skillfully. To answer your question simply, yes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast