How the Writer of the Month Awards will work

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How the Writer of the Month Awards will work

How the Writer of the Month Awards will work

Special thanks to James [Squiggle] for reviving this idea and providing an example framework from which this project is built.

The Writer of the Month project is not a WF structured challenge. There are no prompts or scoring rubrics involved. Polls may be used to refine or select finalists for WF media publication. Selected works may earn the Pulitzer or similar award.

If there is a challenge, it is aimed at the reviewers or critics of nominated works. Selected reviews may be quoted in WF media platforms, and may earn the reviewer or critic the Star Critter or similar award. Only quality quotable reviews or critiques of eligible works will be considered.

Eligible works will be drawn from the open Prose (fiction and non-fiction) forums only. Workshop works will not be eligible to protect their first publication rights and limited visibility. Challenge works will only be eligible once posted in the appropriate open creative forum for specific feedback or comment.

Eligible works will be works posted during the previous calendar month; eg, for February 2017, eligible works for nomination and review will be those posted in January 2017.

Works posted more than 12 months prior to eligible works may be re-posted to be eligible for the following calendar month.

An eligible work will only be accepted if accompanied with, or followed up by, a quality quotable review or critique. The review need not be written by the person making the nomination.

The idea is to encourage members to bring the best works posted in the open Prose forums to broader attention and appreciation.

From these, publication-quality works and reviews will be chosen for WF media publication, and the writers of the selected works and reviews may be eligible for an appropriate monthly award, as well as in the running for the Writer or Reviewer of the Year awards beginning in February 2018.

Questions or general discussions about this BtF project can be posted in this thread.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

FAQ 1: Can members nominate or review their own works?

A: Members can nominate their own works, but they cannot post reviews or critiques of their own works. Members with nominated works may ask other members to provide a review or critique of the nominated works within the eligible time period.

FAQ 2: When does the calendar month end?

A: At midnight GMT on the first day of the following month. Daylight Saving Time may affect this; to be decided.

Sounds like this is going to be an awesome event! Great suggestions by James. I look forward to seeing the first round of nominations. Self-nominating is ballsy, not something I could do 😂
    Interested in how Mars-127's story continues?
    I am looking for Beta Readers to guide me along the way. Send me a PM if interested - Jam Hidden Content

Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living - Jonathan Safran Foer

I don't really understand why work posted in the members only sections is excluded. Surely a person doesn't have to be forced to publish to the web (which really is an issue if you ever want a work to be published elsewhere at a later date) to be eligible. If a work from the workshops is nominated, then how much of an issue is it really to offer the author the choice at that point about that particular work?

Basically what you are doing is forcing people to post in the public section if they want to be eligible, with no assurances of anything. That seems unfair to me. The gain is all yours with more publicly posted work to boost search engine ratings etc, with no such benefit to the author who now can't take that piece to anyone else.

I'm guessing they don't want to publish anything in the workshop because they are supposed to be protected from people outside the forum (publishing issues). It's to protect the author's first rights basically.
    Hidden Content

Hey, check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

And twice a week I'm posting my memoirs of Mom for anyone who wants to take a look

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Ell337 View Post
    I don't really understand why work posted in the members only sections is excluded. Surely a person doesn't have to be forced to publish to the web (which really is an issue if you ever want a work to be published elsewhere at a later date) to be eligible. If a work from the workshops is nominated, then how much of an issue is it really to offer the author the choice at that point about that particular work?
    If a member posts to the workshop, it is to protect first or exclusive publishing rights. That in itself is a decision, and I do not have the time or resources to chase after members to see if they've changed their mind, with, as you put it, no assurances of anything.

Of course, if I do nothing about promoting our members and their works, there are no assurances either. No one is forced to participate in anything.

Basically what you are doing is forcing people to post in the public section if they want to be eligible, with no assurances of anything. That seems unfair to me. The gain is all yours with more publicly posted work to boost search engine ratings etc, with no such benefit to the author who now can't take that piece to anyone else.
    Bullshit.

I'm not forcing anything. I'm making something available that wasn't available before, and doing it without encroaching on the privileges - not rights* - that were established when the members-only workshops were created.

Eligibility to anything is conditional. These are the conditions. It's that simple.

*Posting any work to the forum is granting the right to the forum to host that work. It is a courtesy to our members that we have spaces available to protect the poster's first or exclusive publication rights. I don't intend to fuck that up to satisfy someone's idea of what is fair in my own house.

A Host! A Host! My ... er, Something for a Host!

What this project will need is a host or two (or three or ten) to manage the practical stuff -

Starting the nomination and review thread/s on the first (1st) of each month;

If required, to post a poll of eligible nominations (per the eligibility requirements as stated previously) on the tenth (10th) of the month, with the close set for the fifteenth (15th) of the month;

Liaise with available media staff over final selections for WiFs (deadline: twentieth (20th) of the month) or Showcase or other potential media team platforms.

Interested volunteers are encouraged to make themselves known openly or, if preferred quietly, via PM by no later than the twenty-fifth (25th) of this month (being January 2017).

And so it begins...

Will the Poetry lot be getting a slice of the action as well as Prose? I realise it requires people-power to kick in to action, and two sets may be a lot to dump on one host group. So really my question is, is this going to be a staggered introduction dependent on a trial run?

Oh, and of course I'm happy to help in any way I can.

Hi James, it is for Prose (non fiction and fiction) only.
    Hidden Content

Flashes now accepting submissions. Please submit your poetry, flash fiction and writing articles <Hidden Content >

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast