Thread: Adv. Writing Disc. Relocation

Adv. Writing Disc. Relocation

Was this moved on purpose?
    Some Cutting Grammar: CuttingEdgeGrammar.com

Yes.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I do.

Blog Entries
    What was the rationale for this move? Unless I'm being a bit of a thicko (possible) it's only available to staff members now..?

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    What was the rationale for this move?
    The Advanced Writing Discussions forum was meant for exactly that: advanced writing discussions.

It was not intended for story questions or general help with writing, world-building, or character development. I am not always available to move general Writing Discussion threads out of Advanced Writing Discussions.

I noticed that the starters of advanced writing discussions were/are Tavern members, and so moving the Advanced Writing Discussion forum to the Tavern was the simplest solution.

Unless I'm being a bit of a thicko (possible) it's only available to staff members now..?
    Posting to Advanced Writing Discussions is now limited to Motley Tavern members: staff members, Friends of WF, and WF Veterans.

Reading and searching in Advanced Writing Discussions is available to everybody.

There's a lot of negatives to starting any thread in this new location. One is not reaching new members, who can be energetic contributers. There is no spillover from the regular discussion, which is to say, the most likely reader would be someone going to Writing Discussions and seeing an interesting topic in Advance Writing Discussions. Now that wouldn't happen.

I actually did use it (Advanced Writing Discussion). My topic was Y/A. If it takes someone a month to notice it there, I didn't mind -- a slow conversation is fine with me. The topic itself is complicated, and I offered a lot of possible discussion points. JustRob had a wonderful contribution, so I am thrilled so far.

That's a different way of conceptualizing AWD. I am not sure how to describe it. Looking back, there are some really important, deep, global topics. Laughing, I will suggest topic of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaSohan View Post
    There's a lot of negatives to starting any thread in this new location. One is not reaching new members, who can be energetic contributers. ..
    AWD is not for energetic contributors, Emma; it is for intelligent discussion of writing for writers.

New members can read the discussions, and if they are energetic, will soon become regular members. If their energy is beneficial to our forum community, such members have a high probability of gaining posting access. On the other hand, if their energy is detrimental to our community, then I don't want them there.

So, what were the other apparent negatives?

Blog Entries
    I feel as if people asking for help in regards to plotting, or "how should I write this character?" style questions, have a better home in the Writing Discussion forum, or perhaps by sharing their work once they've accrued 10 legit posts.

I agree that, unless there was a lot of Mod activity, the Adv. Writing Discussions should be relocated to somewhere with permission-based access.

That being said, I wonder if there is any way we can try to share the interesting, valuable knowledge that will likely pop-up in the Adv. Writing Discussions forum? That is, share it with all members. Perhaps in the form of a monthly podcast, or something of this sort?

Just spit-balling. ^_^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I stopped living like there's no tomorrow
    because I always woke up sad and disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    I feel as if people asking for help in regards to plotting, or "how should I write this character?" style questions, have a better home in the Writing Discussion forum, or perhaps by sharing their work once they've accrued 10 legit posts.

I agree that, unless there was a lot of Mod activity, the Adv. Writing Discussions should be relocated to somewhere with permission-based access.

That being said, I wonder if there is any way we can try to share the interesting, valuable knowledge that will likely pop-up in the Adv. Writing Discussions forum? That is, share it with all members. Perhaps in the form of a monthly podcast, or something of this sort?

Just spit-balling. ^_^
    All part of the grand plan, Smith, but good to see it coming from another member. Mostly, the delay to this and many things is down to too few doing too much above and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post
    AWD is not for energetic contributors, Emma; it is for intelligent discussion of writing for writers.

New members can read the discussions, and if they are energetic, will soon become regular members. If their energy is beneficial to our forum community, such members have a high probability of gaining posting access. On the other hand, if their energy is detrimental to our community, then I don't want them there.

So, what were the other apparent negatives?
    I have struggled with this answer. It is perhaps too soon to evaluate the move, I do not understand the purpose, it's not my job to evaluate the move (thank goodness), and I'm not complaining, I am remarking. Location is the second factor you are asking about.

Okay, there seems to be different types of discussions. Some are broad and deep. Ollie's topic "Written Language" had that potential. Some are very particular to a particular story or even sentence. That's the typical Writing Discussions post. The poster probably wants an answer soon. Some are "advanced", such as being techniques that don't come up often. Ollie's recent contributions to AWD seem to be that.

And really, don't most deep issues just come up in somewhat shallow conversations? Jay Greenstein typically makes a deep response to a shallow question; I have tried discussing with him in IM, but in a way he is making claims about really basic issues in writing.

I loved wainscottbl's question today about stock characters. It made me think about how I construct my characters when I write. It really doesn't matter if it is Writing Discussions or AWD, right? But it was in Writers Discussion.

This isn't coming out organized, I am not sure if I even have a point. I have struggled with this answer.

Yes. If we look at the typicals, then advanced writing discussions typically begin with an essay or brief exposition of an aspect of writing, whereas the general writing discussions begin with an ask-the-expert sort of question.