How to gain pieces for a portfolio?

Thread: How to gain pieces for a portfolio?

Blog Entries

How to gain pieces for a portfolio?

Hello I do hope I am posting in the right place...

I wish to become a writer full time (I know it is the dreams of any and many writers) however every job I look at to apply for always states that it requires a portfolio and at least one years experience. Now my dilemma is if you can not get hired without one how do you manage to put a portfolio of published works together.

I am interested in writing both fiction and non-fiction pieces and I have a degree in English Literature.

I also have the restraint that I must work full time while gaining a portfolio because I am the sole money earner in my household. So I can not do volunteer work because I work 9-8 five days a week if not more some weeks.

Any and all suggestions will be welcomed.
    Fancy joining a photgraphy group? The check out the Hidden Content group.

Visit My Blog to get to know me better.Hidden Content Hidden Content A fun group of like minded new writers.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content A place for young writers to talk and chill.

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.

Submit pieces everywhere you can. You do not have to be employed as a writer to submit work for publication. There are tons of online magazines, papers, news outlets etc that have submissions. Get your boogie boots on and start writing and submitting.

Fiction and non-fiction are two very different beasts and should be approached differently. You could start building a portfolio of non-fiction works by approaching local and regional newspapers, magazines, and websites with ideas for articles of local interest. Such publications are frequently happy to have area residents write about local news, festivals, sports, hobbies, etc. Pay will be meager to non-existent, but the by-line credit will start building your body of work.

Getting started with fiction is similar, but with one significant difference. Where you can approach a publication with an idea for a non-fiction piece, fiction publishers will require you to submit a completed story before they will consider your work. Again, you can submit fiction to small, often non-paying, magazines, e-zines, and web-sites. Each acceptance provides another line for your resume. A simple Google search for 'fiction markets' will get you to many lists of places where you can start looking to submit your work.

Research your potential markets well. Read their submission guidelines and follow them. If you want to be a professional writer you need to submit like a pro. Good luck.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Fiction and non-fiction are two very different beasts and should be approached differently. You could start building a portfolio of non-fiction works by approaching local and regional newspapers, magazines, and websites with ideas for articles of local interest. Such publications are frequently happy to have area residents write about local news, festivals, sports, hobbies, etc. Pay will be meager to non-existent, but the by-line credit will start building your body of work.

Getting started with fiction is similar, but with one significant difference. Where you can approach a publication with an idea for a non-fiction piece, fiction publishers will require you to submit a completed story before they will consider your work. Again, you can submit fiction to small, often non-paying, magazines, e-zines, and web-sites. Each acceptance provides another line for your resume. A simple Google search for 'fiction markets' will get you to many lists of places where you can start looking to submit your work.

Research your potential markets well. Read their submission guidelines and follow them. If you want to be a professional writer you need to submit like a pro. Good luck.
    Thank you Terry this has helped me a lot, I will look into local places online, that was my main stumbling block I kept typing in searches into google without really knowing what to look for, I am not to bothered about making money of it to start I just want to be able to try anf get my foot in the door.

I am currently writing a Young Adult gothic novel at the moment with the intention of self publication however I would love a job in copy writing, hence why I need a portfolio. I am no stranger to doing research and I want to be a pro about this another reason why I thought I would adk on here for advice. So once again thank you.

Fancy joining a photgraphy group? The check out the Hidden Content group.

Visit My Blog to get to know me better.Hidden Content Hidden Content A fun group of like minded new writers.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content A place for young writers to talk and chill.

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.