Writing poetry...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Writing poetry...

Blog Entries

Writing poetry...

I don't know if this is the place to ask this question or not, but here goes.

I have always been intereasted by poetry from studying many different forms and poets, however I have never been able to write/create it myself. So my question is can anyone give any tips on how to write poetry? Or is it something you either just have?

Thank you in advance.
    Check out my ebook
    Hidden Content on sale now.
    Hidden Content

Memories at midnight is now out in Hidden Content

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.

Read it, critique it. Take it apart to see what makes it tick. What did you like about the poem and why, what didn't you like and why. Don't get discouraged if you don't understand an obscure metaphor or the author's meaning.

Experiment. See what forms click. Maybe it's free verse, maybe it's sonnets. To rhyme or not to rhyme, always a question. You don't know until you try. Read poetry aloud, both as you write it and read it. This will help you train your ear to the subtler nuances of verse. Context and definitions need to make sense, each word needs to be held accountable for its function. Poetry in essence is steeped prose. All the goodness without the weight.

Be cognisant of where your piece is going. Point A to point B. Even though poetry is assembled using different matrices, basic logic still applies. Thesauri are excellent tools to have, but should be used with care because overwriting is easy to do. Try to be consistent with punctuation, capitalisation, and rhyme schemes because poetry is as much about the visual aspects as it is about the verbal.

But the most important thing, be true to your voice as a writer. If you get an idea, run with it, see where it goes. There really is no wrong or right way to write it. The more you practice the easier it gets. Don't be afraid to try out the poetry competitions offered here on the boards, as well. Both the Monthly and the PiP.

Ask the Mentors, too. Firemajic and Jenthepen are both amazing poets in their own right.

- D. the T.

You might want to take a look at the excerpt to Stephen Fry's, The Ode Less Traveled, on Amazon. He's focused primarily on structured poetry, but what he has to say about prosody, and language, in general, is helpful to all writers.

Don't be afraid of playing with the language. Poetry is about conveying a story with an emphasis on the language. If you love the language then playing with it will be a joy.

If I knew my poetry would be better than it is! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greenstein View Post
    You might want to take a look at the excerpt to Stephen Fry's, The Ode Less Traveled, on Amazon. He's focused primarily on structured poetry, but what he has to say about prosody, and language, in general, is helpful to all writers.
    Thanks. I've just bought the Kindle version of this on the strength of the sample pages. It helps that I've enjoyed some of his acting roles and the TV show, QI.

I bought the book a couple of years ago. It is my bible for meter.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkin View Post
    Read it, critique it. Take it apart to see what makes it tick. What did you like about the poem and why, what didn't you like and why. Don't get discouraged if you don't understand an obscure metaphor or the author's meaning.

Experiment. See what forms click. Maybe it's free verse, maybe it's sonnets. To rhyme or not to rhyme, always a question. You don't know until you try. Read poetry aloud, both as you write it and read it. This will help you train your ear to the subtler nuances of verse. Context and definitions need to make sense, each word needs to be held accountable for its function. Poetry in essence is steeped prose. All the goodness without the weight.

Be cognisant of where your piece is going. Point A to point B. Even though poetry is assembled using different matrices, basic logic still applies. Thesauri are excellent tools to have, but should be used with care because overwriting is easy to do. Try to be consistent with punctuation, capitalisation, and rhyme schemes because poetry is as much about the visual aspects as it is about the verbal.

But the most important thing, be true to your voice as a writer. If you get an idea, run with it, see where it goes. There really is no wrong or right way to write it. The more you practice the easier it gets. Don't be afraid to try out the poetry competitions offered here on the boards, as well. Both the Monthly and the PiP.

Ask the Mentors, too. Firemajic and Jenthepen are both amazing poets in their own right.

- D. the T.
    Hello Darkkin,

Thank you for your response, I have analysed and deconstructed poetry throughout my studies, I can analyse structure, rhyme, rhythm, metaphors etc but when I come to write it, my words seem forced and stillted, I lose all structure and rhythme.

I do not really understand free verse.

I have found in the past that when I read poetry out loud, I just read, I don't really get the nuances of the piece when I hear someone else reads the same piece.

I have always been too scared to attempt the poetry challenges because I did not think I could create something good enough but maybe now I will give them a try.
    I hope that this response makes sense.

@Jay Greenstein- Thankyou I will check out this book.

@amsawtell- Thank you I will definatly try playing around with language.

@The fantastical- Lol, that is whynI have asked for advice so that I can improve.
    Check out my ebook
    Hidden Content

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.

I also have several articles here in poetry discussion on different techniques and forms in poetry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amsawtell View Post
    I also have several articles here in poetry discussion on different techniques and forms in poetry.
    I will go and have a look at these thank you for bringing them to my attention amsawtell. I will take all the help that I can get.
    Check out my ebook
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast