How to get your ideas out of your head and down on paper.. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get your ideas out of your head and down on paper..

That's an excellent idea voltigeur! Thank you so much!

You guys are so wonderful. I really appreciate all the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by voltigeur View Post
    I think if there is one universal fact that applies to all writers is that: Your brain (thoughts) move much faster than your hands.
    This is one of the great things about writing. Sometimes, things "sound" better in our heads than they do when we say or write them. When we have to actually give them life by putting those thought out there, we get to really enhance the ideas by exposing its flaws.
    Where you can purchase a copy of Fallen Sun, my second novel. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by 84Buckeye View Post
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thx...
    Some form of direction.

The classic one is character change - you want the characters to change from what to what? Why? What's the message?

Hi, newbie here, but am experiencing similar anxieties myself. I have a great idea, and rush to get pen to paper (or keyboard to Word/Scrivener/etc.) and either everything comes out in a mish-mashed jumble, or I just sit and stare at the white screen, not even knowing where to start.

I try to just put the doubt aside and start typing, but sometimes it can feel paralyzing. One of my tricks to hopefully overcome this is to engage in various diversions like writing prompts like:

• Writing one paragraph in a genre I know nothing about
    • Play the question game (keep asking one question after another in rapid sequence - better in a group though)...
    • Double letter prompts (nibble becomes bellow becomes lagging becomes...etc)

There's tons more in other forums and communities that help keep the mind active (but are dangerous as the diversions can distract you from your goals! LOL)

Be true to your voice and know that writing is a continual, adaptive process. Your first draft, everyone's first draft...is guaranteed to be awful. What matters are the bones with in the chaos. Edit for the bones and build on them.

Find a place where you feel comfortable starting, whether it is with a situation, a character, a conversation, or an outline. Write what comes to mind. Then take a break. Step away for a few minutes and let the thoughts sink in. Reread what you just wrote and apply basic logic. How does your character react? Does the chronology make sense? Does the work match the scene in your head, if so great. If not, why?

Also consider your environment when your creativity is at its peak. What is going on that furthers that state of mind, and can you replicate the process? Also consider keeping writing materials within easy reach, whether on a digital device or with simple pen and paper. If you get fifteen minutes, heck, even five, write it down. And it is amazing how quickly those five minute snatches of writing can add up over time.

When your muse is up, listen to it. Record what you can, when the moment strikes, get the bones down, details can be added later.

Other things that I've found helpful, walking the dog, music, and interrogation sessions with my main characters.

The most important thing, remember why you write. Believe not only in yourself, but your words. It might not seem like it most of the time, but they matter. To someone, somewhere they matter.

D. the T.
    Last edited by Darkkin; November 11th, 2016 at 11:21 PM.

Lots of good advice here too, but I might as well chip in and restate what's been said.

I have problems with writer's block almost every day, it's been a constant struggle and something that has slowed my progress down enormous amounts when it's really hitting hard. The cure? For me, I step back, look at my characters, and I usually realize that if I know them well enough they will write the story for me- all I am is the narrator dictating the world, and less so the director of a movie. That's not to say I'll never throw in dramatic events that were not created by my main cast, but more so to say that when I do, I always trust my characters to be themselves, and then I just write that down.

My second thought on it is just to keep writing. Writing through writer's block is definitely a thing and I've had good success with it. When in doubt, just keep pushing on!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12