Character Building

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Thread: Character Building

Character Building

Hey all,

Was looking for, unsuccessfully, for a place to do character building. Is there such a forum for that here? If not, is it possible to do one? I'm sure many people, like me, would love to flesh out a certain character. The way I suggest to do this is by doing roleplaying them. For example, I have a char in my WIP called Baalzebub. He is THE fallen angel in a world where God lost a bet to him. I still don't have him down completely yet, and would love to roleplay him with anyone else in any setting, just to see how he would react to certain individuals, settings, etc. I wil provide an opening, and if you guys like this idea, continue it...here it goes!

Baalzebub sighed and shook his head. Standing at a little over ten feet tall, his imposing presence mocked every angel that had gathered to see the famed exile. Baalzebub had been created as the only general to have His Highness' blessing of freewill. Angels were unable to deny any request from their master, except for Baalzebub. Though, to call him an angel was too cynical for some. He had a muscular body, tanned complexion overwritten with a glowing script interconnected with each other via flowery patterns, much like every other angel. His face was beautiful, so much so that no angel could gaze upon him and not weep at the perfection of their master's creation. On this day, though, his physical countenance was different. He had his Infernal Armor on, a muddy red set of chest piece, helmet, greaves, and gauntlets with great spiritual powers. He willed his helmet invisible and addressed the angels.

"Who is in charge here?"
    If knowledge is power...how powerful are you?

I am not sure what you are looking for. To me, writing a scene is what you call role-playing. Can't you role-play two characters and get what you want?

My characters come to life as I write the story. (I am a pantser, which means I don't plan much, I like to just write.)
    How to write a good start: Hidden Content . Useful, original information. Long and thorough.
    Includes Hidden Content (do you start with description?), Hidden Content (a favorite with publishers apparently), starting with Hidden Content (a lost art), and more.

Blog Entries
    I am toying with the idea of having, at the end of my novel, a little section of interviews with each character. I'm still figuring out how to play this but one idea is to treat the characters as if they are actors and just sit them down, ask them how it's going, how they think their character will be received, what they think of the other characters etc (eg: have the villain say of the hero, oh, yeah, she's great, really knows her craft, a total joy to work with). Another idea is to set the interview in some point mid story and treat the charcters as the characters themselves, as if I was a newspaper reporter stopping in with them and pepper them with relevant questions (how is that bid for power going, what will you do now that the throne is yours, how does it feel being the most hunted person in the land etc). Sort of like bloopers at the end of a film, just to do something different. I think it could be a lot of fun!

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Hi bdcharles. I like that idea very much...sort of a Inside the Actor's Studio for the chars! I would actually do both things you suggested, it adds (in my opinion) a nice whimsical and with humor element to your story

Character building is a very critical task in writing a story. I've written a few good ones for kid sites and have stuck to one method of character development. I make flashcards for every character. Like, I write down the name on one side and their attributes on the other. And every time I feel like bringing in a change (rarely happens for short stories), I can go back and edit it. Gives a clear picture for me to imagine the character's personality and write scenes that would match the storyline and fit into a particular situation.

Hey Eric, I do that too. But I do that also with settings, such as citys, towns and places just to have a general idea of what that place looks like before fleshing it out. The only thing is since I'm writing longer stories than you, that process is a little longer and more tedious

I was part of a forum eons ago, where we wrote a fantasy adventure tale, each from their own character/s perspective. We had battles, political intrigue, sub plots within those that you had to pick up without being told. Was a lot of fun.

Was wondering, if it's scary that I can have a full conversation with most of my characters. They are living beings in my imagination. Likes, dislikes etc. It may not always come out in my stories......yet.

Also being a failed artist (I did try for a comic book position once), I like to draw the characters I see. Case in point, I have created a visual representation of each of the main characters in my superhero story, according to how I see them. I want others to get an idea of what I see when I'm talking about them. Really wanted that story to be a graphic novel, but my artistic skill is so lacking due to neglect.

I like R.Hs idea of fleshing out his character through interaction with other characters not of his making. Gives an extra unique perspective.
    If we surround ourselves with 'yes' people, how can we grow.