New Reality TV Show - Protection

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Thread: New Reality TV Show - Protection

New Reality TV Show - Protection

I am developing a concept for a TV reality show. That I believe to be very unique.

Since the airtime programming will be based on real life cases, initially sought out from the public and then later submitted by viewers,what might be an option for affording protection before pitching the idea?

For example (and I wouldn't do this) you intend to develop "The Housewives of Atlanta" or "Hoarders" -- how would you go about protecting this before presenting?

Quote Originally Posted by Throughy View Post
    I am developing a concept for a TV reality show. That I believe to be very unique.

Since the airtime programming will be based on real life cases, initially sought out from the public and then later submitted by viewers,what might be an option for affording protection before pitching the idea?

For example (and I wouldn't do this) you intend to develop "The Housewives of Atlanta" or "Hoarders" -- how would you go about protecting this before presenting?
    Couldn't you file a copyright on the name and characters? That is my best guess.
    "He slides into second with a stand-up double." - Jerry Coleman
    "Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth." - Lou Gehrig
    "After Jackie Robinson, the most important black in baseball history is Reggie Jackson." - Reggie Jackson
    "Your Holiness, I'm Joe Medwick. I, too, used to be a Cardinal." - Joe Medwick to Pope Pius XII
    "I think Tim Wakefield would even say tonight that Tim Wakefield got to Tim Wakefield tonight." - Tim McCarver

I am not a legal professional.

Ideas can't be copyrighted but treatments can. Would that be an option for you?
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    Robert G. Allen

Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    I am not a legal professional.

Ideas can't be copyrighted but treatments can. Would that be an option for you?
    If he pitches the project then he can get it copyrighted, I'm pretty sure you can copyright/trademark/patent any idea, word, media, name, brand within reason.

So that could be a solution
    "Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth." - Lou Gehrig
    "After Jackie Robinson, the most important black in baseball history is Reggie Jackson." - Reggie Jackson
    "Your Holiness, I'm Joe Medwick. I, too, used to be a Cardinal." - Joe Medwick to Pope Pius XII
    "I think Tim Wakefield would even say tonight that Tim Wakefield got to Tim Wakefield tonight." - Tim McCarver

As of now, there are no names. Characters are unknown as of this point. They are yet to be discovered.
    Yet the characters are of a certain type.

It is more like, going with the situation as it arrives. How would you do "America's Got Talent" without yet settling on the judges?

I could write the intro, (something so short could easily be changed) but that's about it.

Oh, dear. I just happen to have my textbook handy... I may not be a legal professional but Mr. Litwak is.

To be eligible for a copyright, a work must meet four criteria:
    1. It must be original
    2. it must be an "expression of an author"
    3. it must be of a non-utilitarian nature.
    4. it must be in a fixed, tangible medium of expression.1

Ideas, themes, and titles are never copyrightable. On the other hand, books, plays, and movies are copyrightable. The former are not considered expressions of an author, while the latter are.2

1 Litwak, Mark. Dealmaking in the Film & Television Industry: From Negotiations to Final Contracts. Los Angeles: Silman-James, 2009. Print. p. 303
    2Ibid. p 305
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    Robert G. Allen

Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    Oh, dear. I just happen to have my textbook handy... I may not be a legal professional but Mr. Litwak is.

To be eligible for a copyright, a work must meet four criteria:
    1. It must be original
    2. it must be an "expression of an author"
    3. it must be of a non-utilitarian nature.
    4. it must be in a fixed, tangible medium of expression.1

Ideas, themes, and titles are never copyrightable. On the other hand, books, plays, and movies are copyrightable. The former are not considered expressions of an author, while the latter are.2

1 Litwak, Mark. Dealmaking in the Film & Television Industry: From Negotiations to Final Contracts. Los Angeles: Silman-James, 2009. Print. p. 303
    2Ibid. p 305
    Well consider me law professionaled

That I believe to be very unique.
    Sorry, not to answer your query, but to remember if you pitch it. Unique is unique, an absolute, you can't have degrees of it.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content