Halloween Carfts

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halloween Carfts

Halloween Carfts

So, it's that time of the year again - fun time!

Okay, so Halloween's not so popular here, but it's getting there Meanwhile, I'll have a bunch of guests - why not decorate the house?!

Sure, you can buy most of these things, but if you're on a budget, or simply love crafts, check in this thread for some new ideas!

First thing I did was a paper mache raven. I found a template, cut it, glued to a light cardboard, cut it again (or you can simply glue it directly to the cardboard and avoid double cutting), and then the real fun started. First, I used aluminum foil - I folded long pieces until I got them really thick and strong (twisting also helps), then wrapped it around the cutout, making a sort of a "skeleton". It also boosted its volume, so it's a good start (use scotch tape to strengthen it so it can't move).

Step two was to make a paste of water, flour (white) and salt (to prevent mold). It has to be thick, but less thick than, say, pancake batter. You can find good recipes here. You tear newspapers into strips, and dip them, removing the excess paste. You do this numerous times, depending on how "big" you want it to look like. Once done, leave it to dry. Time of drying will depend on several factors, but it should be dry if left overnight. When dry, paint it black, and that's it! My raven's not done yet - it's in the process of drying.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	15813

Doesn't look like much, but it will, once painted.

Next thing I did were little ghosts; my inspiration was this page, although they came out totally different.

I didn't have any fabric stiffener (you can made your own if you google) or Styrofoam balls, so I got creative: I shaped a bunch of newspapaers ionto a round shape, then taped it all over. Whether you use Styrofoam or not (you can use ping-pong balls too), you should place it on the bottle's neck for easier use. I used paper mache paste, and once again, dipped strips of newspapers, making layer after layer, until it gained on some volume. Cut the cheesecloth into a square (or just use bandage rolls), and glue a few of pieces onto your ghost, just enough to cover the newspapers. When it dries, you can glue some googly eyes, or, like me, draw faces. I used tempera paint (fun fact:we call it tempera too!), and a really thin brush.

Name:	IMAG1583.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	15814 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1584.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	15815

When the time is right, I'll hang them on the ceiling.

The last, but not least (there's a ton of things to do), were the bats, also the easiest. I used this pic as a template,

Name:	halloween-bats-cut-outs-printable_141543.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	15816 cut it (glued to the cardboard), punched a hole, added googly eyes, and that's it! Easy, simple, effective!

Name:	IMAG1591.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	15817

Stay tuned for more!

*I meant "crafts"*
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

cool
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, these are some great ideas I work in a childrens playarea and this week we are doing Halloween crafts with the kids.
    Fancy joining a photgraphy group? The check out the Hidden Content group.

Visit My Blog to get to know me better.Hidden Content Hidden Content A fun group of like minded new writers.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content A place for young writers to talk and chill.

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.

That's wonderful, Schrody!

I find it so strange that Halloween is getting popular in other parts of the world as it dies out in the U.S. I don't even buy candy anymore because usually nobody comes and then I just eat it all myself.
    Story Prompts That Work Hidden Content
    Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published Hidden Content

Halloween has gotten so commercialized these days in the US and it doesn't help that they're already advertising Christmas, the biggest commercial season of all.

By the way, that top picture does not look at all like a raven

This is a raven...

Just teasing
    Hidden Content

Hey, check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

And twice a week I'm posting my memoirs of Mom for anyone who wants to take a look

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Carly Berg View Post
    That's wonderful, Schrody!

I find it so strange that Halloween is getting popular in other parts of the world as it dies out in the U.S. I don't even buy candy anymore because usually nobody comes and then I just eat it all myself.
    Oh no, that's so sad We have our own version, but it's in February (the principle's the same). We're (our country) pretty much obsessed with the Western world (especially US) - whether it's bad or good, we will make it a part of our culture. I like Halloween

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post
    Halloween has gotten so commercialized these days in the US and it doesn't help that they're already advertising Christmas, the biggest commercial season of all.

By the way, that top picture does not look at all like a raven

This is a raven...

Just teasing
    Ha! As much as we absorb your culture, I doubt "football" will ever gain popularity here. We're satisfied with the "soccer", thank you Tell me about it, they're gonna start decorating soon! I hate it.
    Je suis Charlie.

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

Quote Originally Posted by H.Brown View Post
    Thank you, these are some great ideas I work in a childrens playarea and this week we are doing Halloween crafts with the kids.
    You might be interested in this things, they seem pretty simple (okay, the first one's not really Halloween, but it might come in handy!)

Birds, Pumpkin treat balls
    Je suis Charlie.

In case I forget - Happy Halloween!

Je suis Charlie.

Happy Easter to you too

Hidden Content

Hey, check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

And twice a week I'm posting my memoirs of Mom for anyone who wants to take a look

Hidden Content

Silly Mustard, in case I got too busy with decorating!
    Je suis Charlie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast