The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!) - Page 68

Page 68 of 70 FirstFirst ... 18586061626364656667686970 LastLast

Thread: The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!)

False alarm, I guess. Did my reverse-trigger therapy, finished season 1 of "After Life" (funny as hell!) and then slept for nine hours.

Today I feel totally rainbow sprinkles.

Thanks to Glasshouse and SueC for your well wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by KenTR View Post
    False alarm, I guess. Did my reverse-trigger therapy, finished season 1 of "After Life" (funny as hell!) and then slept for nine hours.

Today I feel totally rainbow sprinkles.

Thanks to Glasshouse and SueC for your well wishes!
    A good night's sleep does wonders for your outlook on life. Glad you're feeling better, Ken!

Thanks, Irwin. They say sleep does more for the mind than the body.

Even a forty-five minute nap can get me out of a bad funk. It's like a reset switch for your brain.

Good for you kentr. Yes that does seem true for me. When I sleep my mood switches. I feel more productive. That is temporarily I feel like a light has turned on like a switch inside my head. I can turn on the computer which also affects my mood badly. It makes me anxious sometimes, and need to turn it off in the morning for instance do some chores.

On writing. I found one more book. It specifically focuses on unity. It's tough to find a decent book that won't cost me much about this topic. I will keep searching. Someone is making a fortune off these books. I wish they'd release a book that is for everyone. It's all college textbooks.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Quote Originally Posted by KenTR View Post
    Thanks, Irwin. They say sleep does more for the mind than the body.

Even a forty-five minute nap can get me out of a bad funk. It's like a reset switch for your brain.
    I agree entirely with this because I am wierd with sleep.

4 to 5 hours is all I will sleep during the night. But at certain times during the day I need to switch off and drift away into a reset mode from 15 mins to an hour. After that I am alert and ready for another 8 hours.

If you watch animals they do exactly the same.

Before the industrial revolution there was no need to get up and be somewhere to clock on at a certain time for an 8 or 10 hour shift. We slept when tired and woke when we woke.

Today we sit in front of a square box and force ourselves awake until the programme has finished.

It is so unnatural.

So the 5 wh questions generate ideas supposedly according to my research I did yesterday. You can ask questions and that can help someone focus on what they need to say in the paragraph. Such as what, how, when, where, and why. I did a lot of research and I think I'll settle for something that I found that was cheaper. It covers more writing topics. If that fails I will refund it. And get one of the other choices. The mailing system isn't working, so I can't order books to be shipped. So I need to order it by buying it digitally.

You can generate a topic sentence using those strategies. For example, the house was ugly. Why was it ugly? What made it ugly? Where was it located? What did other people say about the house? Etc and so forth.

It speaks to me as a better strategy than brainstorming.

https://saylordotorg.github.io/text_...ow-do-i-b.html

So I think the sentences will be written in a more logical sequence once I decide to practice this. Because it relates to the topic sentence and makes the sentence more cohesive with no topic jumping between the sentences.

Not to mention I would write without a plan which was a mistake (no real knowledge on rhetoric). Aristotle created started this field many years ago in Greece. I don't think I can't write without using such rhetorical strategies (or ignore them). There's a lot of good information on the internet. I just have to keep searching on how to write cohesively and generate ideas on description and narration which I haven't started to search yet. The link above has good information. It repeats the points made after I looked inside a rhetorical and college book online. So who knows if I'll solve this sooner than I expect since there is a lot of free information online.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; April 3rd, 2020 at 07:53 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Quote Originally Posted by Theglasshouse View Post
    The problems I have are called logical order of sentences or logical sequences of ideas. That is fixable. I will order a book when I receive my next payment.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079Q4H9MY...v_ov_lig_dp_it

This is a workbook that deals with those problems. I think it's a college reader. The writer has an impressive background of credits. It seems this will be the next book I order. That way I can improve my English transitioning from one idea to the next logically. I haven't found a better one. If by some way this isn't enough of a good book for my problems. I suppose I can research courses. I did find one but it is out of my price range. Think 200.

These are my frustrations. I feel more confident. I just dislike discouragement in general of people who say I should stop, or imply it. I have tried to improve. Plus in my past that was a very strong stress factor, for lack of a better word.
    I am way behind on this conversation but... I 'd like to think you are improving... you've helped me greatly in areas I need to improve in... I think if you teach you will learn better... It's a technique I know of.. explaining things to others is a key to learning... btw I am trying to find that post were the guy/girl said our MODERN DAY sleep schedule is Unnatural I couldn't agree more so far... but I want to reread it to see.. I have been in bed for the last few days... dear glass house... give yourself the advice you would give others.. commonly we give others better advice than we give ourselves.. ty and good evening to all.
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    I agree entirely with this because I am wierd with sleep.

4 to 5 hours is all I will sleep during the night. But at certain times during the day I need to switch off and drift away into a reset mode from 15 mins to an hour. After that I am alert and ready for another 8 hours.

If you watch animals they do exactly the same.

Before the industrial revolution there was no need to get up and be somewhere to clock on at a certain time for an 8 or 10 hour shift. We slept when tired and woke when we woke.

Today we sit in front of a square box and force ourselves awake until the programme has finished.

It is so unnatural.
    sorry I may be double posting or triple posting because there are some things I'd like to respond to... but I am glad you are okay... I wish you recovery and piece of mind in your future...

p.s. As for topic jumping.. I am not sure but I may do that.. what I do is I do rewrites of the thing till I iron them out.. I call them thought knots... where I was writing about one thing.. then all of the sudden I am talking about another. I think mine comes from sudden shifts in though though. I "iron them out" by rewriting or writing in a better transition. my bff writs in weird ways kind of like this... he is not disleic as far as I know.... I am going t stay up for awhile.. been sleeping way to much.. like from 3pm till 5pm.. no clue why.... I think I am way to dependent on coffee to get going.
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

p.s. As for topic jumping.. I am not sure but I may do that.. what I do is I do rewrites of the thing till I iron them out.. I call them thought knots... where I was writing about one thing.. then all of the sudden I am talking about another. I think mine comes from sudden shifts in though though. I "iron them out" by rewriting or writing in a better transition. my bff writs in weird ways kind of like this... he is not disleic as far as I know.... I am going t stay up for awhile.. been sleeping way to much.. like from 3pm till 5pm.. no clue why.... I think I am way to dependent on coffee to get going.
    I'll try to help you kunox. I emailed some concepts to help stick to a topic in a paragraph. I found a cheaper book that talks about the various writing modes of description and narration (it dedicated more than 30 pages to each which is a rarity). I've been busy doing lots of house work. We used to pay a housekeeper. Now we are scared of hiring people who could have been in contact with people with the coronavirus. I now must fill the void left by the housekeeper who used to do by helping my mother. She might have influenza since my aunt had it. She definitely does not have the coronavirus. The housework been a drain on my time. My payment is due some days from now. It won't be until 5 days before the end of this month. I usually get paid on the 25th. After I paid around 360 for that microphone I must wait for next time I recieve a payment. Due to coronavirus fears, the microphone as I said is still in Miami or the united states. The mailing services have been locked down.

I suggest you write questions about your topic in a computer using the 5 wh questions. What, how, why, when, and where of the first sentence. I gave the example of the ugly house. (use a picture of a ruined house, a burned house, or a house that is falling apart from old age)

I did find some free information on the internet on these questions. I can email it to you. Put it into practice and you could even write a more coherent story. There are even unique wh questions for writing a narrative.

It's important to prewrite. I can't post it here since it's a lot of information. It's taken from free websites. It's saved in my inbox. I spent a whole day doing this. Use a notebook. If you feel the need. Use a picture if describing. Imagine the actions of people as you write it (show not tell).

Here's an example technique that imo can be used to write a narrative paragraph. In the email you will find more questions for narrative (which can help you study the cause and effect and change in your scene).

Asking and Answering the 5 W's and H Questions

To collect key information about your writing topic, ask and answer the 5 W's and H questions—Who? What? When? Where? Why? and How? These questions are sometimes called journalistic questions because all news stories should answer them. Gather answers to the 5 W's and H questions anytime you are writing about an event, an experience, or something that happened.
    5 W's and H Questions

• Who was involved?
    • What happened?
    • When did it happen?
    • Where did it happen?
    • Why did it happen?
    • How did it happen?

Your Turn Find answers to the 5 W's and H questions in a news story.

1. Choose an interesting news story from a newspaper, blog, or Web site.
    2. Read the story closely.
    3. Search for and record answers to the 5 W's and H questions about the story. (Hint: The answers should appear near the beginning.)
    4. Share the answers with your classmates to help them understand the story.

Your Turn Answer the 5 W's and H questions about the best thing you did or experienced last weekend.

So I emailed you tips on how to do it. I hope it is off use to you. Read it and consult the email. It's over ten pages or a bit less but close to that. That is why I did not post it here. I hope you find it helpful. Remember to get feedback when you use these questions.

@biro: I wished I could drink coffee but it depletes the vitamin called magnesium in the blood stream. Which gives me heart palpitations. I used to drink it in the morning. I can't anymore.

The name of the book which I will purchase Kunox is as follows since I found one better suited for my needs since it covers description and narration in more detail and has unity, coherence, and so on covered. It has excellent reviews and covers many more topics:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQO03U0...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Handbook of Technical Writing tenth edition for kindle. (costs 30 dollars or less)

I found this alternative after wasting the afternoon researching how to write a paragraph with sentences that link logically.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; April 5th, 2020 at 05:34 PM.

I found a better book since it focuses on invention and research.

The Composition of Everyday Life, Brief

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BGS1PT7...v_ov_lig_dp_it