The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!) - Page 64

Page 64 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1454565758596061626364656667686970 LastLast

Thread: The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!)

Maybe it's an issue as I see it for me. I have heard american doctors tell me this. They ask me how many hours do you spend on the computer. I am ashamed to say around 8.

For mental patients this advice is fairly common and I am not saying anyone will agree with me.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

yeah the internet is your frienemy..... that is to say a friend who gets you into to the fun kind of trouble.
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Theglasshouse View Post
    Maybe it's an issue as I see it for me. I have heard american doctors tell me this. They ask me how many hours do you spend on the computer. I am ashamed to say around 8.
    That's half your day. Half your life. What do you look at for 8 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by KenTR View Post
    That's half your day. Half your life. What do you look at for 8 hours?

I know you asked glasshouse but I swear if I am not on the internet I am sleeping.. the thing do most is the radio on the internet and youtube....

Quote Originally Posted by kunox View Post
    I know you asked glasshouse but I swear if I am not on the internet I am sleeping.. the thing do most is the radio on the internet and youtube....
    I'm curious: precisely do you listen to on the radio? Music? Talk?

And what do you watch on youtube?

On the radio.. I listen to progressive voices... so talk.. and there are four kinds of videos I watch.. learning about stuff like physics.. analysis videos... who would beat who in a fight.... usually death battle and epic rap battles of history.... and videos about my problems and how to over come them.

Blog Entries
    I probably spend eight hours on a computer every day, also, if you count my tablet and Roku box. I do my work on a PC. We're also on a computer in the car with the navigation system. I play my guitar to jam tracks streamed over YouTube on the PC or learn songs from tabs and lyrics that I get over the internet. Computers are useful in many ways.

Nearly everything is computerized these days, and that in itself isn't such a bad thing.

It's probably unhealthy if you're spending eight hours a day on social media, although not as bad as sitting watching TV all day. At least it's interactive.

In regards to computer and internet addiction, Nightwish has just released a new single on this exact subject.

Crave the machine
    Revere the screen
    Zoom in for flak and misery
    Bleed some pixels
    Shoot yourself
    Pose for the dead
    Have a near-life experience
    In a hot air matrix
    Now you're a star
    Vain avatar
    Feeding the beast
    In your loud Egoland
    You have become
    Tool of a tool
    Digital ghouls
    Telling you to
    Shut up and dance!

Color a yarn and the crowds will gather
    Noise
    From a sunless world
    Your mirror is black, only a copy stares back
    At a slave of brave new world
    Noise
    To decoy the human voice
    Brain insomniac, paranoiac
    Endless noise

Please love me
    See how I bleed
    Please endure
    I have such empathy in me
    Hum, noise, hum
    Beautifully numb
    Tapping the quiet air
    To have a meaning
    By a carrion
    Sad hologram
    Lost in the maze
    The real and human feel
    Sunset is free
    From this deity
    The Earth has a real voice
    Go out and get in
    (I will follow)

Color a yarn and the crowds will gather
    Noise
    From a sunless world
    Noise
    To decoy the human voice
    Endless noise

Feast your eyes on the black mirror
    Feed the beast, join the gathering, tell a tale
    Feast of fears is drawing nearer

Feast your eyes on the black mirror
    Feed the beast, join the gathering, tell a tale
    Feast of fears is drawing nearer

Beyond the human horizon
    Something terrifying sleeps

Noise
    From a sunless world
    Noise
    To decoy the human voice
    Endless noise
    I threw a glance at humankind and saw them treacherous and feeble.
    Severe judges, cruel, unkind and fools who are always close to evil.
    Before their frightful, anxious mob, indifferent hate forever rages.
    Not learnt the lessons from the ages!
    What use are wise and tempered words?
    "Sometime, in my sweet blindness" - Pushkin

Big difference between spending time on the computer vs. spending time online, but as long as you're doing something constructive online, or learning stuff, it's all good. Still, I can't help but think that it might be better to spend an afternoon at the library (while we still have them).

Something about the seeking out of knowledge, as opposed to having what you need to know pop up on command. I tend to believe it resonates more and that we learn on more than one level when doing it the old way. I could be wrong. I have no statistics or studies to cite.

One analogy might be found in how modern living has generated a whole epidemic of health woes; heart disease and cancer are so much more prevalent than they were before industrial times. I wonder if it's from all this convenience: from prepared processed food in plastic we heat up in the microwave to something as simple as an escalator. We forget that for all our smarts, we're still just another animal. We need to be active, to interact with each other and the world around us..but not on a 4'' screen. I see people get on the bus to ride for one stop, which equals maybe four blocks. Women riding the escalator in front of me ( blocking me from just walking up instead of riding up like a potted plant) while talking about how they find it so hard to exercise.

I can't shake the fact that I find something intrinsically wrong with the way technology has swooped over us this past decade or two. It bothers me that all my music, my personal information, my photographs, and my writing seem so vulnerable in digital form. I back it all up in various ways, but it still makes me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by KenTR View Post
    One analogy might be found in how modern living has generated a whole epidemic of health woes; heart disease and cancer are so much more prevalent than they were before industrial times.
    Don't forget that our life expectancy has increased exponentially since before industrial times as well. A lot of our health woes such as heart disease and cancer is due to the fact that we live much longer than before. People used to die off in their 40s long before they had a chance to develop cancer.

I threw a glance at humankind and saw them treacherous and feeble.
    Severe judges, cruel, unkind and fools who are always close to evil.
    Before their frightful, anxious mob, indifferent hate forever rages.
    Not learnt the lessons from the ages!
    What use are wise and tempered words?
    "Sometime, in my sweet blindness" - Pushkin