The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!) - Page 62

Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12525455565758596061626364656667686970 LastLast

Thread: The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!)

For myself, one of the most useful strategies for dealing with not only anxiety but mental health issues can be summed up in one word: Endure.

You can't escape your own head, and triggers are often unavoidable. When things get bad, either internally or externally, there are a number of things you can do, as Theglasshouse generously listed in the post above. But what happens when nothing helps?

Sometimes you just have to ride it out, and that sucks. If your attitude is not good, or delusions prevail, things can get even worse. It may seem like there's nothing left; no resources, no comfort zone, no help. Things can get to a point where every moment is unbearable and all you can do is sit and endure it.

This may sound like torture, but if you allow yourself to stop and take a minute to think about what endurance means, you'll see that the word has a great deal of power. It's almost a synonym for strength, and with the right attitude, it can be.

This can apply to more than mental illness. There are times when adversity can seem insurmountable. A broken heart, a week long visit from an intolerable relative, even grief are things that sometimes will not relent until they run they're course, and in the interim, you suffer.

A therapist might say that looking at adversity as a force that is working against you is a bad idea. He or she might throw at you all sorts of Hallmark card platitudes, or insist that you must keep on fighting despite the fact that fighting is what led you to hit rock bottom in the first place. There are limits to everything, including strength. And when there's nothing left you can do about it, you can suffer with it, or you can endure it.

Endurance is the bright crust of hope that lies beneath your suffering. Bring it to the top. Own it. Take pride in it. Overcoming something bad or intolerable is a wonderful feeling, and endurance is the vessel that gets you there. It's a kick in the eye to the things that are trying to destroy you. It's the antidote to giving up.

An example might be smoking cessation: say you've been doing well but one day, all day, the urge to have a cigarette becomes unbearable. Having that cigarette means you lose. Enduring the discomfort means you've won.

Endurance is winning.

never met anyone who likes being unhappy until life gets a hold of them...as a child did one not care about the future or the past......like a dog maybe one was happy or waiting to be happy...i often think it's the loss of childhood for many that brings this stuff on....
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Blog Entries
    I would think that the societal collapse currently transpiring throughout the world would lead to widespread severe mental health problems, and there is some data to back that up. In the past 20 or so years, the suicide rate in the U.S. has spiked by some 50%. That's a huge increase! Before that, the suicide rate was fairly stable. People have lost hope for the future. Along with all the suicides, we've also seen the proliferation of mass shootings. The world is going crazy!

This may be a good topic for an article.

maybe the world is going human
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
    I would think that the societal collapse currently transpiring throughout the world would lead to widespread severe mental health problems, and there is some data to back that up. In the past 20 or so years, the suicide rate in the U.S. has spiked by some 50%. That's a huge increase! Before that, the suicide rate was fairly stable. People have lost hope for the future. Along with all the suicides, we've also seen the proliferation of mass shootings. The world is going crazy!

This may be a good topic for an article.
    I totally disagree.

Not much more than 20 years ago there was no mass internet and certainly no social media for on the spot eye witness Joe public uploading stuff to the billions. Before that it was a mobile film crew with bulky expensive equipment.

30 years before that the news was mostly days old and limited to just a few tv channels which were active less than 12 hours per day.

Shootings, murder, rape, torture have always gone on and probably more per head of population than now because back in the day they could get away with it. Now there is dna and cctv, so I imagine (your honour) it is harder to commit such crimes today.

Your paranoia is a victim/result of progress and technology but there is a cheap and easy answer. That is do not use the internet or listen to radio and tv. Or if you cant do that, do not listen or watch the media which displays the news.

It's a bit like somebody complaining they get insulted on Twitter or Facebook when all they have to do is not use it. When we were younger if you met somebody in the playground who was horrible like the school bully you simply avoided him.

It all sounds very easy.............Don't look!.... somebody shouts. And then everybody looks.
    Last edited by Biro; December 17th, 2019 at 11:31 PM.

So I woke up in the middle of the night feeling anxious and furious at myself.

Why? What did I do? Well, apparently I agreed with my family to go back to church. Despite the fact that I'm agnostic and don't really buy into that stuff anymore. I only did it because I wanted to spend more time with my family.

I'm anxious because I'm not sure how to reconcile being agnostic and going to church at the same time. Kind of counterintuitive isn't it? I'm furious because I rather enjoyed not having to spend half a Sunday at church. And perhaps lowkey wondering if I'm either being selfish or blowing things entirely out of proportions.

Chiefly I'm curious as to how one goes to church when they themselves are agnostic. :3 Also someone kindly tell my anxiety to STFU and let me get back to sleep. -_- It's 11:30 pm at the time of this post!

#StupidBrain
    #LateNightAnxietyAttack

I can't really say what works in your case to make a convincing case on not going. I get anxiety in the church sometimes if my anxiety and moods are not perfect. The closest church to my house is less than 5 minutes away.

My worries are when I go to church is that organ music is too loud and it creates too much anxiety I have to leave (loud noises such as from movie theaters can have a similar effect). The other church twenty minutes away does not play organ music. It's bad for me to hear it.

However, if you need friends a church community can help to know more people. That's if they have some events, meetings, and activities after church. In my case this is difficult, I'd need to accompany my brother for those such occasions. It's a way to socialize with society when I am locked away from home. That and I'd follow closely what my psychiatrist says. I don't go since to commute its tough. The music played too loud even if I am close to the end of the room (organ). I need to come to an agreement with my doctor and family on which to go. I say this because they want me to be committed to any church if it gives some opportunities.

Exposure to anxiety could increase on some days. You can feel anxiety low on some days. Anxiety you can feel can be high on some days. I'd especially go on the days of the lowest anxiety level when you feel better.

Nowadays I'd think I can sit and tolerate people who hold some values. Whatever the religion of the church they are usually well-behaved.

However, its recommended in my case for recovery. It's a way of socializing. It's almost as if a hobby since you can do volunteer work.

Unfortunately my anxiety is triggered by people having been mean to me in the experiences I had such as a job. And in the university. Not to mention after that all I had was the internet. Which is where I had friends and enemies. I also had seen horror movies without knowing they were bad for me as a child unsupervised (that is I should have not seen them at all).

I think whatever your doctor counsels will be better than what I suggest very likely, and I was given the first communion and went through baptism as a ceremony.

Get as much sleep as possible, and even if you don't seem to need the exercise it helps to focus mentally (although I did some research on exercise it is not thorough). But it is as if a mood stabilizer if I can use that word since you feel better.

Try to avoid situations that trigger the anxiety. I had social anxiety for a long time. One of the biggest mistakes I did is that I stopped taking my medications one day. That triggered the 1st psychotic episode I had (weeks later). I was taking a medicine that was for social anxiety and depression (ironically it is used in a drug cocktail to treat some people with conditions like mine which would be zyprexa). Yet also I had other things happening at the same time. (a family death the first one, a cyber bully as mentioned, and other things).

I suggest since you are saying you think you are agnostic that in my experience I would do the following. I would go just to please my brother, or mother, and to make sure they felt better. They are the most religious. My youngest brother doesn't live close to my house. My oldest brother is the one that goes.

Even if you don't think he exists you can help others. Some go more than once a week, all year.

Especially if someone is sick it is the best thing you can do.

It's difficult to rebel (go against the wishes of I mean) against family members who think they are doing something that will help you.

In my experience religious people tolerate more behavior that is egregious than others because of the positive values they believe in. It's also backed by scientific research (I don't remember what science but it can be searched on the internet. I know psychologists study religion) I say this because its like an education. Sure if you have faith it will help you.

My relatives like it when my family prays for them since it is the right thing to do to make them feel better. Or go to church services for those who already passed away. For my uncle and grandfather they pay for church services. My grandfather was extremely religious. Also, going to add the fact that my grandfather's father was a priest (my mother's side).
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; January 7th, 2020 at 03:18 AM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Shield View Post
    So I woke up in the middle of the night feeling anxious and furious at myself.

Why? What did I do? Well, apparently I agreed with my family to go back to church. Despite the fact that I'm agnostic and don't really buy into that stuff anymore. I only did it because I wanted to spend more time with my family.

I'm anxious because I'm not sure how to reconcile being agnostic and going to church at the same time. Kind of counterintuitive isn't it? I'm furious because I rather enjoyed not having to spend half a Sunday at church. And perhaps lowkey wondering if I'm either being selfish or blowing things entirely out of proportions.

Chiefly I'm curious as to how one goes to church when they themselves are agnostic. :3 Also someone kindly tell my anxiety to STFU and let me get back to sleep. -_- It's 11:30 pm at the time of this post!

#StupidBrain
    #LateNightAnxietyAttack
    Good luck with that one! Seriously though, I've known tons of people who do the church thing because it's a tradition of their family, the same as, Idk, identifying as Italian-American or whatever and having those recipes on holidays and other aspects of it. They enjoy it and they don't worry about it. Nothing wrong with that.

But of course, what matters is how you feel about it. If you feel like you're compromising your values too much and/or being more or less pushed into a role by your family, you can always change your mind. Then maybe you could instead offer to join them after church for a meal or whatever. Or go for a while, with the understanding that you can always change your mind if you want to.

Blog Entries
    100% Insomnia. I would doze for a few minutes, then the slightest thing would wake me up. I counted the hours: If I can fall asleep now, I'll get 4 hours sleep, 3 hours sleep...
    I have to ride my motorcycle before sunrise, in the rain. I knew I couldn't do it safely today, so I called sick into work.

I was diagnosed with depression many years ago. The meds made me feel chemically lobotomized, so I stopped them and never went back. I've done very well, all things considered. I've tried to structure my life and activities in ways that support a productive and positive outcome. But life is life.

I shouldn't complain about work, but I will. I refused to be pushed-up the ladder, and assume stressful duties. Those duties get foisted on me anyway. They moved my entire shop during the Christmas break (Happy Holidays!). Real effing relaxing. Only a couple of days worth of work, but the stress extended way before the event, and the problems will continue for weeks, months or longer. And I can't fix them.

It's almost impossible to do my job properly now, and those that can help are unreliable and limited. My boss has the strategic and tactical prowess of Armstrong Custer. Three different teams of workers are setting up my saws, with no coordination. My computer is on the other end of the building still, and I can't even log-in now. Orders are supposed to still keep coming off the printer, but I can't check on them without a computer.

But that's just my morning job. In the afternoon, I stow and issue big spools of cable. I took last week off, and came back to find 21 pallets waiting for me. 13 of them were spools of 1000 feet at 950 pounds per. I got about half of them put away. They'll be waiting for me, along with additional work when I return tomorrow. My boss only provides help when someone complains that they're not getting what need. But I kill myself (slowly) making sure shiat runs.

Why is Winston such an asshole?

I work hard under the assumption that maybe we can retire early. But as I slowly wear myself out, my wife's health vacillates between fair to poor. Besides her diabetes, she suffers from blinding migraines that make her miss a bunch of work. She's had kidney stones twice in the last 16 years, and will probably get them again soon.

The doctor provides stop-gap, symptom alleviation. There is no real mechanism in place to address holistic causal remedies. The same goes for my chronic sinusitis. Sometimes my head hurts a little, sometimes a lot. Drinking doesn't help. I've built-up such a tolerance, I don't think I can even get drunk any longer. But never on a work night

So, my dream of an independent country homestead is just that, a dream. My future will be in some high-density area close to medical care so I can take care of my wife. I am uncomfortable being around people, but I will have no choice. I want to talk to my wife about it, but how would that conversation go? "Because of you, we'll never own that little house we always wanted".
    I love her, and will probably spend the last years of my life in a place I don't want to be, around people I don't want to be near. But meanwhile, I'm working like Hell to get there.

Why is Winston such a selfish asshole?

I come here to share my writing, an maybe exchange some ideas. But recently the specter of hyper-tolerance and thought-policing has come to haunt. I look back to a few years ago, even after the no "debate" edict was handed down. I never was a able to compete against the popularity of the poetry or fiction here, but people read my non-fiction, and left honest feedback.

Today, not only do I have to worry about offending anyone and everyone, but the comments that are left are either sterile and sanitized, or partisan sniping disguised as "help". This is how I "talk". I suck at, and I'm uncomfortable with spontaneous "small talk". One of the only joys left in my pathetic life is intellectual exploration with people I could consider to be my peers. I feel like that has been taken away from me. For continuing to think independently, I am now an Enemy of The State.

For the decades that I've been intellectually active, it's been assumed that one could call a position "asinine" or even "dumb" without the implied inference that the person holding that position was those things. Now, the blizzard of snowflakes descend upon the first "wrong" utterance. I'm the intolerant jerk for thinking. For writing.

Well, I'll be back on my bike tomorrow. Maybe in the cold, dark rain, I'll not see that patch of oil in the road. Then, you won't have to worry about me making anyone upset any longer. Life is rather random like that.
    The only constant is pain, and suffering. Happy New Year.
    Opportunities abound! Land and titles available! Be bold! Enquire now!
    See Cazique Gregor MacGregor of details.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    <snip> Besides her diabetes, she suffers from blinding migraines that make her miss a bunch of work. <snip>Happy New Year.
    led color light therapy.
    green.

green light improves, reduces photophobia and migraine severity.
    a study done by researchers at beth isreal deaconess medical center (bidmc)
    in boston has found that exposing migraine sufferers to a narrow band of green light
    can reduce light sensitivity, known as photophobia, and headache severity.
    the study was published in the MAY 2016 edition of Brain.

Last edited by -xXx-; January 8th, 2020 at 05:54 PM.
    " I like it, but I donít get it." - Megan WF April LM Challenge

"Hereby copyright for all things Xonian and Xxildurim is transferred to one named -xXx-" - Mish The Question Game 2458

i wrote this:
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content