The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!) - Page 60

Page 60 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10505253545556575859606162636465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!)

I have an uncle with psychotic episodes. For christmas I will buy them a fire tv stick. That way they can have a way to watch movies.

He sees imaginary things which I won't mention here. But he's "fallen from grace" since his children live outside the country. He takes the best medicine availible for his treatment. I want to alleviate some of the pain since he cannot work so if I can somehow buy a stick for him I will. That way he can relax by using the imagination by watching anything on netflix. It's a sad case. His fears is what he sees.

But I helped him in ways I can such as recommending senna-lax for his bathroom troubles.

My grandmother takes care of him since he can't work. The government has created a system where it is difficult to get a job for the mentally ill. But his brother is very rich, since he built a school himself. He's not alone. I'd like to help him since he reminds me of me.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; November 10th, 2019 at 06:47 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

finally got some writing done. not much though. It would seem my counselor may be right about my nature as a person.. that I may need to switch things up to do anything. not sure how often but at least I went from writing nothing to putting a few sentences down here and there.
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

I'll confess to you something. Because I don't know the craft of writing that well I improvise. Plus the grammatical typos and the writing of a story that sometimes meet expectations put pressure on me to succeed. Basically now I think I found some trustworthy books after some research which I plan to learn from. It's difficult to learn from books. I would feel depressed before. Now since I am on the right medication and I dont get depressed anymore. People with different types of schizophrenia have a difficult time maintaining hygiene. Because their depression prevents them from maintining hygiene. Their mood like in my case flunctuates. I looked up this article on quora that a person asked why people with schizophrenia like diseases have a difficult time maintaining hygiene. So from observation depression is in many of our behaviors. Getting the right medicine is a lengthy process. You could take years until you find the right one like someone else or someone like me.

I have been to more than 5 doctors in my lifetime so far. So the counselor sounds like he knows when you are probably depressed. They analyze by asking people and interviewing them (family, friends, neighbors and so on to get a better picture on how you are doing).

The most difficult part was for example brushing my teeth when no one sees me and eye drops. Which is a problem when mood eludes us. The brain doesn't want to react and I would feel lethargic and without energy.

That's why if writing depresses us, we must withdraw sometimes to improve the mood. If they switch medicines with you, it's for your best. Becuase it is a lengthy process it never ends until one day you are normal again.

I recommend books but taste is subjective. If you ever need a recommendation for a few books, I suggest all the books from the cambridge introduction to literature. (creative writing, introduction to narrative, creative writing companion).

It says conflict comes from a crisis, also there is negotiation. That's some of the definitions of conflict for a writer. For example if my grandfather is dying that is a crisis, and how do you negotiate the conflict to solve it? That's me paraphrasing the definitions.

They cost 20 each or less, 3 books.

So despite the reviews, I think I will pick these up. They will teach me finally how to freewrite properly. I will ocassionally outline characters.

I will be picking and buying them 15 days from now. They are available on kindle.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; November 11th, 2019 at 12:21 AM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Ok so I am taking a smarter approach. There's a lot of theory out there that is useful. I looked at zen dragon's profile at amazon. He seems pretty knowledgable. I won't break the bank by buying his books. Because he is the top contributor in writing on amazon or supposedly one of them on amazon. Basically a story is cause and effect when a character cuases something to happen. It's my fault they murdered your pet dog. That's an example. I plan to own them in paperpack most of them. The problem I sense is time will not be on my side. But I have the forum here if things do get monotomous.

I have decided not to get the books mentioned on cambrige's series. They are too academic in tone. Look up zen dragon if you want good recommendations. I was impressed by one's book's preview which follows forester's theory, story is cause and effect. A character has to cause something in order for there to be a story. I will be buying all the books he reviewed and will be learning how to become a writer.

got a weird question I do. I was wondering should I become a ghost writer. I ask because the second someone {other than mine} project came up I sprung into action. like I have no motivation problems. who knows ow long that will last? I wonder if it's the possibility of money or the working a job aspect of it. any thoughts on what I should do from here because my books have only got maybe two pages in a month and thus I am back to being mired on my own projects?

P.S. never mind I got an idea..... maybe it will work....
    update.. I got five pages done last night... just thought I add that here.
    Last edited by kunox; November 25th, 2019 at 12:13 PM.
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

Kunox. As someone who has experienced many "creative" challenges and obstacles regarding writing. I think I know how you feel (I have problems with some unique aspects of writing correctly). I don't want to give in to failure. Who wants to? On top of that I have for many years improved slowly. I don't have good advice on how to be a good ghost writer. There are many people more experienced than me. They will suggest you read books on improving style and clarity. I did find some that I plan on buying. But it's for revision and spotting style errors such as redundancy. My suggestion is to look for a writing partner who has similar problems and writes stories. Ask your speech therapist to give them contact information of a person with similar troubles (who is coping). That being said, I think a ghostwriter is a difficult job to do. I am not saying to give up. This is a passion and writers have a difficult time publishing. Why can't you keep trying if they do? But you need to do the research on the web on your diagnosis.

Here's what I have on my list of things to both buy and read. Editing yourself is essential to being a ghostwriter. Writing correctly is the main obstacle to being a ghostwriter.

I myself will plan to sign up for a class on how to write paragraphs which costs $40. It's called paragraph punch online I believe. It lasts 3 months.

The Elements of Editing: A Modern Guide for Editors and Journalists
    by Arthur Plotnik (Paperback)

Getting the Words Right: How to Revise, Edit and Rewrite
    by Theodore A. Rees Cheney (Hardcover)

Revision: A Creative Approach to Writing and Rewriting Fiction by Kaplan, David Michael published by Writer's Digest Books (2001)

Revising Fiction: A Handbook for Writers
    by David Madden (Paperback)

Revising Fiction: Making Sense of the Madness
    by Kirt C. Hickman, Nancy Varian Berberick

Good luck on your writing projects. One thing is you need to be open about your diagnosis here where people will accept it. But hang out with positive people who think you can write. Why? Because it helps to admit one's weaknesses. If no one ever does how can they improve in their area of weakness which needs to be improved? You want to be a writer but you have to admit your condition to people who want to help you. I improved my spag for instance. I bought software for that (it costed me 140 for both). But my story paragraphs and transitions have been rough. Post your work for feedback but also do everything it takes to improve. We don't want feel that we've lost. We want to improve. So you need good attitude and habits. You need feedback. There are people who know more than us. So always ask for advice from people who have a lot of experience and are willing to share it. Don't despair on what people tell you.

Maybe even join a speech therapist forum or a mental health forum like they suggested to me. Post a writing sample. But keep it brief.

I plan to post descriptive paragraphs in the grammar section in this forum after I do some reading and to get feedback. Point of view is something I will practice. That is why they say I write with a fly on the wall perspective.

BTW, we all make certain writing mistakes that are unique to the writer. I make errors with fragments. So I for example separate the sentences as if bullet points. And I read my work out loud.

Software is imo needed if you can't go to a speech therapist.

Also, read everything you can find on how to revise. Read stories every weekend. Pick a time in the day to read fiction.

I rarely leave the house since one of my parents can't drive. I wish I could be a very social person. But I can't with my disease. So not yet. It makes writing more difficult.

Blog Entries
    My friend at work has issues with impulse control and anger management. He's made a lot of progress, but still regresses at times. His worst episodes now are light fuming and grumbling. It isn't directed at anyone in particular, and when it happens, we know just to get out of his way and let it pass. I do give him one obligatory "How ya doing" to see if he wants to talk. Later, he'll usually confide in me.

But the petty a-holes at work like to make fun of him behind his back. I have to work with these people, so I just distance myself from their snippy little digs. I really pity them more than I pity my friend with the mental health issues. He is who he is, and is trying to be a better person. They are jerks having fun at someone else's expense. Either they have never had issues, never knew anyone who has, or just don't respect anyone, including themselves.
    Opportunities abound! Land and titles available! Be bold! Enquire now!
    See Cazique Gregor MacGregor of details.

I have met people who are bi-polar. I am not saying he is. But they can't control themselves. You are doing the right thing in counseling the person who is in an unfortunate situation. Some people who can't control their temper are even retired and discharged from the military especially with a mental diagnosis. It's a serious condition. They get screwed by the system. Which is not taking them into account. That very same person I remember because he tried something I won't mention here besides attempting to kill himself. That was in the mental and psychiatric ward. I have met people who have gone to jail just by having random outbursts at police officers and people. One even threatened me once. I had to leave as bad as funny as it sounds from nami out of paranoia. The therapist even burst to tears. I recommend he go to nami once a week. Which is in every state. (it is a free charity)

Blog Entries
    ...discharged from the military especially with a mental diagnosis. It's a serious condition. They get screwed by the system.
    He was a Navy vet, and the Veteran's Administration has screwed him around. That horse has been flogged. The VA needs to improve, and keep improving.
    As important as professional help is, the people in our lives have a much greater impact. My friend (mentioned above) just got married to a wonderful, caring woman. Her family accepted him. Her church was welcoming.
    At least now when he encounters the jerks at work, he knows that people have his back. "Professional" help can never replace that.
    Opportunities abound! Land and titles available! Be bold! Enquire now!
    See Cazique Gregor MacGregor of details.

Unhappy Should I Work Here for Ever? Anxiety Advice?

I hope someone reads this Ö Iíve been content writer for two years now. I donít see myself growing in this company and donít get me wrong I like working in this kind of environment but I need a bigger challenge. And now you are all probably thinking: Maybe go to another company where I can assume more responsibilities? I know, the thing is that Iím terrified of leaving my job. Iím afraid to change and I get really bad anxiety. But at the same time, I get anxiety by thinking Iíll be working here foreverÖ. Any advice?