The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!) - Page 59

Page 59 of 70 FirstFirst ... 949515253545556575859606162636465666769 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    I suffered from bouts of depression for many years but it's been gone for over a decade now.

Some ideas I have are that it's from surrounding myself with nice people and getting away from problem people; lowered stress (in my case, from being past the heavy responsibility years of childrearing/work); or some other change that comes with age.

I'm not sure why but thought it might help someone to know that sometimes it just goes away.

You're very lucky, but I'm sure you already know that.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Been taking a break from writing. I will eventually write something new.

I do doubt my abilities as a writer. As a writer we always have room to grow. I am going to study how to build my characters. I feel that is my greatest weakness. So going to use some books that are workbooks on how to develop character. I buy craft books. I figured this is the right move for me. I do feel insecure that I know what I am talking about. I feel more people here know more about writing than me. I got inspired from time to time. I don't like that and am looking to make writing a habit. The writing software shipped. I feel 120 dollars is cheap. But it was 140. That includes shipping and handling and a back-up. As I am away from home. I am going to have the software downloaded when I arrive. Inspiration has been dry. I have a conviction that character backstory and personality is key. That way I can write the conflict without problems.

As I have mentioned. I rarely leave the same locations. It's the same routine. I go to my grandmother's house. I also visit someone's country home. I also live 2-3 hours from each. It's always been hard for me to describe a setting for these reasons.

I will sign on to kindle unlimited hopefully. It depends if my buyer wants to keep the 200 dollar microphone. If not christmas is close by.

That way I can read ghost stories and more. So I can get an idea for the conventions used in a plot.

Since my family is old. I suspect one day I'll need to learn how to drive. It's a challenge so to speak since I fear accidents.

Poetry is tricky to learn and a lot of work. But will aim for books with exercises or on kindle only. It's difficult since my mom has pain in her feet. If I ask for anything only one person can do me the favor. That's my father. The nature of the disease I have makes it hard to trust him. But now I am trusting him more.

I found one exclusively dealing with imagery. I plan to use a camcorder since my grandmother is in bad health. So I will use it as an exercise in capturing imagery of places and people.

She isn't dying but it's a slow decline in health.

So by the 25th of november I will have a draft hopefully somewhere. That way I can polish it into a short story.

I hope I can subscribe to new scientist this year. It's the best publication to use as inspiration for science fiction.

I haven't been here as much as I would have liked.

Mood has been stable. I read even a creative writing book which has 600 pages. It was over half finished. Been reading a poetry book. It says ambiguity is key to poetry. As opposed to obscurity. It's something robert frost championed according to the book. Those connotations and denotations behind the images. Symbols are also useful for developing ambiguity. Theme is also important to understanding poetry and giving a sense of meaning to the imagery. It's is the emotion or the message.

Need to dedicate 30 minutes a day to reading it. It's not a how to that says how to rhyme. More like it says principles and guidelines to poetry. Need to do it everyday at the same time to make it a habit.

So this is my summary of what I have been doing.

Health is improving, just wish there were a way to educate myself. There are very few online courses I know off that are as expensive as private colleges. Even though this doesn't fit my personality. I need a job of any kind. Some kind of programming with a degree. That way I can pay for things such as being tutored by an english mayor on the web. So far so good, but this reads more like a journal and account of what I am planning.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; November 2nd, 2019 at 03:08 AM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

I'll be honest with you, most of what I learned about writing I picked up by hanging around these types of forums. This and your Kindle are a great education already.
    "How can we know the dancer from the dance?" - W.B. Yeats
    Stories: Hidden Content l Hidden Content Hidden Content

Projects:
    Hidden Content

Reading stories definetly is on my list of things I want to do. I do own a kindle device which makes kindle unlimited something I want and could do. I am now reading elizabeth george's book write away. I am taking notes. She focuses on the psychology of a character. For instance the need to have fun is a very real motivation people can have. She says that it can be manisfestated in different ways such as hang gliding and so forth. Also she says all humans have a pathological maneuver which comes from psychology. Psychopathology is when denied results becomes a desired need (not getting what we want). We have single needs in us such as acceptance such as wanting authority and so forth. The need to help others can be a basic need. The idea of the story comes from the character. That is how stories begin. Character comes first and creates the story idea. Not the example of the chicken and the egg. I like her writing process. I tend to speed read with dyslexia. But I am taking notes on my kindle for pc. My kindle adaptor was stolen which is good for recharging cell phones. I agree with you that the learning can be accomplished by talking with peers, and with reading on a kindle device. I tend to speed read to get to the point. I am eliminating that habit to make notes. Denial of a desire or core need is a psychopathology maneuver. It can be expressed in different ways. Psychology has manias and obessions for instance. If we take our time to read psychology an idea for a story can emerge. From the character comes the idea. I assume when two needs are competing against each other we have conflict. Plot she claims comes from the character's core need and motivation. There are 4 steps which I mentioned out of order. That helps to see the pathological behavior of the character. The personality of a person is complex and not simple.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; November 2nd, 2019 at 02:40 AM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

what would you call this work style/ or motivation style?

somone has told me that possibly I possibly work the same everytime motivation wise. I have to do things in 6 month shifts. ie.. two projects on month 1. two different projects on month two.. this last till month three.. till we go back and do projects like on month {like book writing but two different books}one but completely different set.. so basically two sets of three months that repeat. with two sets of the same project at once my concealer said to try to mix things up as well. by not doing the same thing for more than two to four weeks I ask because I was wondering if there was anyone else out there that had to switch things up so often and in such a way to keep motivated. also how do you deal with it/them. is it possible that my depression/lack of motivation is due to me not keeping things fresh like that. any opinions on this.. please and ty.
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Theglasshouse View Post
    Been taking a break from writing. I will eventually write something new.

I do doubt my abilities as a writer. As a writer we always have room to grow. I am going to study how to build my characters. I feel that is my greatest weakness. So going to use some books that are workbooks on how to develop character. I buy craft books. I figured this is the right move for me. I do feel insecure that I know what I am talking about. I feel more people here know more about writing than me. I got inspired from time to time. I don't like that and am looking to make writing a habit. The writing software shipped. I feel 120 dollars is cheap. But it was 140. That includes shipping and handling and a back-up. As I am away from home. I am going to have the software downloaded when I arrive. Inspiration has been dry. I have a conviction that character backstory and personality is key. That way I can write the conflict without problems.

As I have mentioned. I rarely leave the same locations. It's the same routine. I go to my grandmother's house. I also visit someone's country home. I also live 2-3 hours from each. It's always been hard for me to describe a setting for these reasons.
    I don't think it's necessary to be all that worldly in order to write. I've been a recluse for the past twenty years, but I still get ideas. The important thing is to believe in yourself. Isolate yourself with your writer self. Do not compare your writer self to anyone, here or otherwise. Just be alone with your ideas, your plans and ambitions, and something will come. I can relate to a lot of what you're saying.

Good luck to you!

Lack of motivation or avolition is typical of types of schizophrenia as ktent pointed out to me. As I have the same diagnosis as you I can speak from experience what improves it. Zero stress. Avoid people who are negative. If you have to talk to them, try to be agreeable. Do what your doctor recommends for depression. Excercise can affect you since dopamine, nonepyphrine (however it is spelled) are released into the blood stream. That should be a hobby or practice a sport you like. Exercising for more than one hour even if you are not in need of it, helps your brain in the long term. Even people who are closer to schizophrenia and experience no empathy benefit as they become more empethatic according to research. Occupational therapy or actually doing something or socializing with people you trust and have fun around helps. Doing hobbies you enjoy. Always seek company if it helps you excercise or to do the hobby you wish to do.

Today I went and did nothing of chores but take care of myself. This consisted of maintaining my hygiene and doing things I am asked to sometimes. I also have to take drops for dry eyes 3 times a day.

It all improves if your depression is gone. But you have to take steps towards that. If I were you I would go with a family member and take free classes with someone accompanied by you somewhere.

My depression comes and goes. I hope it permanently leaves me. But I can't predict. But however it gets better as for example when your medicine and treatment is correct. I feel I've been improving slowly. I can now read longer books as long as it is not noisy in the room.

My attention span increased a bit.

Managing depression is also a responsibility, you can't let the hobby take over you completely. It may be you need to vary what you do to have a stable mood.

I've mentioned: exercises, hobbies, having a job somewhere is also therapy but you need approval by the state.

Talking to others is therapy.

You can also do private jobs. Talk to your psychologist and psychiatrist if you can.

My psychotic symptons dissapeared. I am depressive only when not doing anything or am very bored.

I suggest you start threads for some of your hobbies. If you like watching movies maybe people can help you with that. I could. But it takes time. I have 40 movies saved on my list if you are interested. I usually watched some movies in netflix and massage my mom's sore feet.

Since this is a friendly community you won't even have to leave home or join a different forum.

Any other hobbies start threads for them. There is a music thread and section.

You can learn art if someday you feel motivated and want to be a graphics designer.

I am planning to take some art classes once a week.

The credit hours for that career was around 300 dollars or less online.

Online distance is a thing if you can finance it. But you need to know with your doctor what you can study. Besides intelligence tests and other things which they also wanted to do with me.

I know if the blind work you can. I think psychology would be a good career maybe. But I have no idea. People with learning disabilities generally study to prepare for college at a community college.

But if that isn't option work as a volunteer somewhere. Then if you can manage, you can think of working somewhere.

Stress may come from many places. But I intend to work part time in the future.

I hope some of this advice helps. Your pscyhologist and psychiatrist knows you best.

@Ktent: Thanks for the encouragement. I do have a story idea but right now I am in the worst place to write. I am staying at my grandmother's house. Still I will write it and I will fear it will be insipid.

I will do what you told me. I will write something brief at the very least. But I won't lie that I read craft books thinking these will help me plan a story better. The last book I bought cleared some doubts at least for me. I need to for instance plan my character a little more carefully. I am starting with a utopia where the televsion has been eliminated. Where they must find one again. (retrofuturism) (which is using an old invention in the far future as part of the plot). I thought of a compelling motivation to own the TV. The character desire is to find one. What will happen is a twist near the ending. I do like planning my characters. I have a obessive interest in reading how to write. I understand what you said and will write one at the very least without having to wait weeks for the books to arrive that I may order to be delivered.

So the only thing missing is to plan my character out as to how they will behave. I have some guidelines thanks to the book I read even though its a lot of work. I know you said not to overthink it I think, but it's a good idea I think. I need to plan it out a but to freewrite it a bit if that makes sense.

I also have a book that has story writing prompts incase if that story doesn't seem promising.

I know this sounds counterintuitive. The very last book I bought Write Away (by Elizabeth George) has some very good tips.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; November 3rd, 2019 at 02:47 PM.

I finally got a new idea for a story while reading writing away by elizabeth george. Reading another story using an application that lets you read on kindle called universal reader (I also have the "talking word processor" which is what I bought from premier literacy; I downloaded yesterday) which helped me, which I bought up with the talking word processor. I am guessing my subconcious activated. I now know the beginning, middle, and the end. It was by stephen king, and its included in write away by Elizabeth george. I noticed text to speech readers are good for supporting learning and attention deficit disorder. I will work on the story slowly. 80 pages is a slow pace to have read in a day. But at least I got inspired. It's the same story with retrofuturism as its genre. That and since I have read stories constantly in the past, it's a story that is suppose to have a surprise ending once I have it written. It will have a twist ending or one that hopefully shocks the reader. A member who use to go here inspired it based on the work I read of theirs.

This thread seems like a very interesting resource that a lot of online communities unfortunately lack these days. I've written in the past about my own struggles with mental health issues (OCD, alcoholism, etc.) and also have experience working as a mental health professional with the SMI (Severely Mentally Ill) population, as well as some school-based support services for children with emotional/developmental issues. It can be tough for those of us who face these challenges to find resources to the help we often need, so just having an avenue like this that allows people to connect with others in similar situations can be immensely helpful.

Secondarily, I feel like a lot of the stigma associated with many mental illnesses may well come from how they're represented in out literature and media. I doubt that this is often done with malicious intent, and there are definitely extreme examples of every sort of situation, so it's not like those representations are wholly inaccurate, but overly-dramatizing the symptoms or actions of individuals with mental illnesses can be problematic. It can also be problematic to treat them too lightly. I'm not implying that the subject should be avoided or unrealistically revered, and I suppose there are arguments to be made that extreme or light examples can lend a hand to effectively telling certain stories, but I'm not so sure that the unintended results such usages may achieve are equal to what's intended. It's dangerously easy to unintentionally gaslight readers who may not be capable of handling certain material as well as others. Not something that you should necessarily live in fear of, but it is something that I feel like most responsible writers would want to bear in mind during their writing process. We write stories for real people with real issues to hopefully read. I'm not sure that it's worth reinforcing a negative stereotype or irresponsibly insinuating that a person's legitimate mental illness might be the result of demonic possession or what have you. Again, not attempting to be preachy, just sharing my thoughts on the subject.

Overall, I'm not really saying anything new or novel. But if I can be of any assistance to anybody with questions or further comments on the subject, just let me know. And if you feel like you might need help with any sort of personal issues, I would highly recommend you seek it out. It can be intimidating, but the positive results are well worth the effort, and I promise you're not the first to feel whatever it is you're feeling. I can speak to this from personal experience.

I have been diagnosed with "bipolar 1 with psychotic features." My episodes, when I have them, require hospitalization and they are debilitating. I can't function normally, and it's not something that can be hidden either. Everyone within a few minutes of interacting with me knows something's wrong.

The good news is that it is treatable, and I live a normal life outside of my illness. I am happily married, I held a job for three years (quit and took a different, less stressful job recently) and I engage in hobbies and interests that occupies my time.