The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!) - Page 57

Page 57 of 70 FirstFirst ... 747495051525354555657585960616263646567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!)

I eat lots of fruits, vegetables, chicken, cod (the medicine makes me constipated so I take also sennalax to compensate). I am not an indian yet I dislike the taste of beef, and pork. (long story)

I am not a doctor but I'll keep in mind what you said about the medicine. I am relatively much much more stable in that the most important symptons (voices when around people are gone just napping triggers a door knocking or something else).

Depression in my case is difficult to control without medicine. My father can cause a lot of problems (I'm convinced he has mental issues), I'd rather not have the doctor tell me to stop them. Not yet, I have to check on this. I could explain the anecdote you've explained, to see what he has to say.

Yes fatty foods and sugar can affect somewhat mental health. I don't eat fast food, sugar, because my mother has diabetes.

Rarely does something like a tostitos enter the house. I've lost a lot of weight.

I'll ask the doctor about the ripexil but will probably have to wait longer. I'll explain I experience auditory hallucinations only when I try sleeping.

Thank you I will get the software. I am waiting until my cousin pays back some money he owes me. After that, I should have the writing software in my computer. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Good luck with getting the financial problems solved. That's good that you suffer from no depression. It sounds like you have a good doctor. I hope I also take less medications. I know later on in life it's easier to manage many types of schizophrenia but I didn't know such as in your case. That you stopped some major ones like the anti-depressants. That's valuable information.

I'll keep reminding myself to eat salad.

It will be tough to remove the klonopin the doctor said a long time ago. But I will see what he says on that when asked. Probably because of something he knows that he has not explained to me. Since I fear basic things such as when it is too dark, or when it turns into night (dark places). It seems I cannot function without the klonopin.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; September 25th, 2019 at 03:24 AM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Klonopin is the only med I take now because my anxiety level is high. I also have OCD, which is probably the most detrimental of all my mental health issues, and since OCD is rooted in anxiety and fear, it's important that I keep it under control.

It's not exactly tough to get off of klonopin. It's very time-consuming. You have to taper off very gradually, while carefully monitoring how you feel. But I should leave that up to you and your doctor.

Yes! Eat salad! Also, try blueberries (they may be called bilberries where you're at). They're supposed to be good for the brain. Because of OCD, I can't eat them plain, so I mix them up in a smoothie I make for myself daily.

Someone stole my anti depression tablets yesterday...I hope their Happy
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Blog Entries
    After watching that Greta kid at the U.N, it got me thinking again.
    People joke about "Being on The Spectrum", but I sometimes wonder if I am. High functioning, obviously(?). But parents back in my day just didn't test kids unless there was a profound and discernable issue.
    My mom was a hypochondriac, so I try not to self-diagnose. Seen it firsthand, never works. My bro-in-law was a quasi-hypochondriac as well. Of course, he's dead now.

I have most of the indicators, except poor academic performance. But many with Autism learn to channel their intense focus and do well.
    None of this really means anything, either with respect to who I am or what I do. But it would explain a lot. My emotional detachment. My hate of groups of people. I always avoided eye contact (I joked to myself maybe I picked that up from the Asian countries I visited). I am habitual to a fault, and focus on some things to an extreme at times. My periodic depression is probably S.A.D, but could be related. Yay. Winter's coming. Thank God for my full-spectrum light.

A diagnosis would explain a lot. But yeah, not change anything. Which is good. I like who I am. Even if I am quirky as shit.
    Opportunities abound! Land and titles available! Be bold! Enquire now!
    See Cazique Gregor MacGregor of details.

I was definitely a little below average when in school as I lacked discipline and motivation. I also avoid eye contact. When a kid I would isolate myself from other classmates during the lunch period. Curious fact is I would laugh about things that happened the other day. This created a disaster scenario where they sent me to a psychologist that was an ex-convict. I discovered years later he was a pedophile. Because it appeared on the news accusations he was such (he fled from the united states on an airplane). He put me under medication at the "stupid and dumb" recommendations of the teachers and not doctors. I still don't know or remember what he treated me for. The teacher's words were "he isolates himself during lunch hours and laughs randomly in class."

My obsessive hobbies made studying difficult, and I suspect since writing took over, that it can be a problem if I studied in a school. I'd need therapy. Before I would focus long hours memorizing all the biology trivia from science class, and even history. I did not study to attain grades rather because I was interested in those subjects that were fun. I was missing 5 points to qualify for a out to state school program according to the sol report card. Those are the national tests in virginia, which are given to students to measure how well they do in school. I got the highest grades in that test in science. I also had them in the class according to the teacher's conference. That was much of how I focused my studies.

As a little kid I would collect things as an obsession and say they were all mine! Like other kids that age just a bit further than the rest.

I had trouble recognizing faces. I still do. If I need to remember someone by a face it is difficult.

I am compulsive to a fault. Writing helps in some ways to feel emotionally connected to a social world. I would never socialize. I had very few friendships.

Previously when my pets died I did feel unaffected by it. My mother asked me once why I wasn't crying? I couldn't explain. Recently when an uncle of mine passed away to disease I avoided the funeral since I thought it cause mental problems. However that's because the strong memories a body can trigger that are sentimental and the people who cry during one.

When in the classroom I did according my mom not want to sit with other classmates.

Those were my most obvious symptoms. At age 12 I avoided eye contact from then on (I covered my face at 13-15 to avoid eye contact which caused them to take me to an american psychologist when in the united states). It could explain why I have difficulties with expression. I won't know for some time. I put my head on the desk often listening to the lecture of the teachers while covering my face. I no longer do cover my face. It was worse before according to my oldest brother. This was anxiety increasing and maybe some autism which was detected late.

My conversations with my oldest brother are about books, writing, and disabilities.

I was diagnosed by a certified doctor in the united states as a late case of autism spectrum disorder (close to twenty-five years old). (I translate that to discovered late) But my best doctor that got me stable with schizoaffective disorder after I met him said he didn't know what he was doing. In addition to this he said I have no autism. Maybe I can get away with debating him about it. I won't know unless I bring it up.

Also I lack social cues sometimes on many occasions when talking with people. If all my topics are complex and not social. I went to therapy once and they would teach me things that were basic. Such as social skills. How did your vacation go? What are your hobbies? How are you doing? Hello, and so forth.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; September 25th, 2019 at 02:25 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Blog Entries
    I'm really mixed about the release of this "Joker" movie.

I like the exploration of mental illness progression from the prospective of a relatable central character. I like the idea that he is smart, funny and is conflicted like all of us. Joaquin Phoenix is one helluva actor, and I cannot wait for him to bring this character to life. I especially like the quote from the director: "The studio wanted another superhero movie. I instead secretly made them a good film."

But there's a crapload of bad. First, why another jerk with mental health issues? Especially one who's smart and resourceful, and uses his power for "evil". Do we need another Buffalo Bill and Hannibal Lecter to represent geniuses that are mentally ill? Is there any room for Randall Murphy or any of his friends anymore? Yosarian? What, too boooooring?!
    Then, there's the "It's gonna trigger violence" bull. You see, there's a whole bunch of crazy people out there just waiting to commit violence, and this will be the catalyst (sarcasm). Are our fellow citizens simply automatons that mimic any behavior seen, good or bad? I think not. You are much more likely to die from cardiac arrest than from being shot in a theater.
    The worst thing is perpetuating the myth that those with mental health issues are violent and dangerous. Lock em' up, medicate the crap out of them, or you get folks like The Joker. That's for everyone's safety, right?

The trailers and teasers focus on what makes The Joker who he is. I think we know, and want to see this to confirm and validate our biases.
    Hopefully, after we see this film, we'll look at society and ourselves differently. "Monsters" don't come from nowhere. We all do our horrific part.
    Opportunities abound! Land and titles available! Be bold! Enquire now!
    See Cazique Gregor MacGregor of details.

I agree with you Winston. Mental illnesses are not portrayed accurately especially schizophrenia such as in the movie the beautiful mind and american psycho. We need more work that represents them as they truly are and its tricky to do right in movies and in novels somewhat. I read this somewhere. I agree with it. Why not a story of redemption for someone who is mentally ill? That sounds like a good way to change a character (who feels he did things wrong because of auditory hallucinations, and so the hero tries to help the mentally ill person even though he did something wrong). I could write one. There's this market where you can sell science fiction stories if you are mentally disabled. They buy it for only 30 dollars. I'm thinking a novel on mental disease could sell. In a novel I know there have been people writing about this. There's a novel with a teenager with autism (forgot the name). Maybe I should write one with a character with schizophrenia which would be kind of funny. I would be writing about a similar topic. Schizophrenia is the last stage of the disease. So I have schizoaffective disorder, since I technically don't have the last symptoms. It's blocked by medicine and they only way I could probably get it is with more stress, trauma, and not taking my medications. When you get schizophrenia there is no going back to normal it seems. I could be wrong but my doctor knows that diagnosis is dire for someone to experience. I have one uncle who is worse than me. The doctor hasn't disclosed his disorder and its private. He takes more medicine than me. But I think he is schzioaffective as well. He experiences psychosis. Unlike me which I dont. (I experienced very little of psychosis which I would describe as thoughts flooding the head of a person). I think doctors use the infamous electroshock therapy to stop it in the worst cases (my uncle's is controlled with meds). Thankfully I am not on lithium. Which is the other treatment option for people with psychosis.

Here's the name of the book I was talking about:
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

By the title I am guessing its about a dog with autism. From what little I have read. Anyways it sold a lot of copies when it did.

The world needs more literature on it but done correctly.

edit: it's about a kid with autism spectrum disorder searching for his missing dog pretending to be sherlock holmes by breaking the law.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; September 29th, 2019 at 12:04 AM.

just an update on my mental illness and my writing. I have been using mini-tasking to get a lot more done. I started I made all m task set to the bare smallest thing I could do and still call work.. so every ten minutes I write three sentences for an example. then the next week I went to five every ten minutes.. I am up to eight.. this has taken my next to I am to depressed to do anything days and at lest made half of them slightly bit more productive... so yah...
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

Quote Originally Posted by kunox View Post
    just an update on my mental illness and my writing. I have been using mini-tasking to get a lot more done. I started I made all m task set to the bare smallest thing I could do and still call work.. so every ten minutes I write three sentences for an example. then the next week I went to five every ten minutes.. I am up to eight.. this has taken my next to I am to depressed to do anything days and at lest made half of them slightly bit more productive... so yah...
    Good for you! Even the tiniest nugget of progress is something.

Me, I watched a spider crawl across my stucco ceiling today. Took the little guy quite a while. Lost track of him when it got dark.

Mental illness: 5
    KenTR: 0

I have a quick way I thought up on how to generate stories. Here's the advice in case you want to use it.

How to generate an inciting incident:

write about a good emotional event and a bad emotional event.

For example, a woman is having a baby. And discovers her husband is a murderer.

This is what I call juxtaposition of a bad and good event. The plot has to continue.

The theme I read is the desire of the character:fill in these blanks (without (an emotion)(love)there is no such thing as (family).
    Repeat the same formula.

Here's another example of an inciting incident:
    I lost my dog
    and I got a job at this big company.

Easy to do, this is based on the craft of janet burroway and a book by gotham's writer's workshop for movies. That should be easy.

Want to continue the story?

Easy go from good to bad next.

This sort of plotting lends to writing easily conflict and obstacle as the building blocks of fiction. Action is whatever the character decides next.

Anyone can write.

Now the english is tricky for me as well. I may blog a few craft posts next time.

Without friendship there is no such thing as trust.

And so on, that can be the character desire and need.

I can try to give you the contact information of my Doctor btw. He's not business-like with his profession by charging you all the money in the world. He treats the poor, rich, and middle class alike. If you want I can give you a link to his facebook page and you can contact him there. He can give you a good recommendation for a doctor. I don't know if for free, but he can help in this way and maybe more depending on what he decides. I can give it by pm. I know its difficult to trust people on the internet. But if you decide to he can help you with the depression by recommending someone. He used to work in new york and spain. I can send it in a private message the rest is up to you if you contact him and say your a friend of mine. My first name is Claudio so you know when you ask him anything. The reason is I want to send it by pm is I dont want for people to know about where I reside. (Long story I wont explain here)
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; September 30th, 2019 at 03:20 PM.