The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!) - Page 3

Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 12345678910111353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Shield View Post

It's.... God, it's all fucked up, but...that's what I wanted to put out on this thread. How a cyber bully completely ruined me.
    don't take this the wrong way, because i really don't mean this in jest or mockingly or anything like that...
    but can i ask WHY you gave a shit? i mean....why this bothered you? we live in a world of "ultrasensitivity",
    i realize. but if anyone tried to disrespect me for being an american? id just be like....."damn right we're arrogant.
    our forefathers left your country and every other country they fled from because you weren't good enough. why
    would they have left if your country had been worth a shit to begin with? arrogant? damn right, we're arrogant.
    we left you all because we didn't wanna be ugly anymore. you weren't worth hanging around for. get it?"

that would have been my reaction.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    don't take this the wrong way, because i really don't mean this in jest or mockingly or anything like that...
    but can i ask WHY you gave a shit? i mean....why this bothered you? we live in a world of "ultrasensitivity",
    i realize. but if anyone tried to disrespect me for being an american? id just be like....."damn right we're arrogant.
    our forefathers left your country and every other country they fled from because you weren't good enough. why
    would they have left if your country had been worth a shit to begin with? arrogant? damn right, we're arrogant.
    we left you all because we didn't wanna be ugly anymore. you weren't worth hanging around for. get it?"

that would have been my reaction.
    I guess I just don't have a thick skin, and I'm all for trying to make friends so when this guy kept going on and on about how horrible we were, it kind of had an impact on me. That, and I was in high school when it happened so...yeah. If anything, I like to think I've grown past that; it's definitely better than how it used to be but every so often, the old gut feeling would flare up again.

I have times when I seem to be more sensitive than others. Things that would roll right off back, or that cause me to respond with a giggle, hit me in just the right place that leaves me feeling all walking wounded and stuff. Not everyone has a hardy exoskeleton. That's what makes the world so awesome -- we're all different.

Honestly, TGS, I have a related issue -- I was born with a craniofacial disorder, which was surgically corrected (for the most part) when I was five months old in 1976. As a result, I have a scar that runs ear to ear but that is mostly covered by my thick hair, Thank God. My eyes are large and set a little wider apart than your average white chicks. I have a very broad forehead and my head is a little big and tall. So, all my life, I have dealt with people staring at me, whispering at me, laughing at me. When I was a kid, it really bothered me. Of course, I eventually became oblivious to it and, thanks to good people in my life, learned I was more and quite beautiful in my own right. Especially since my look is so unique.

But to this day . . . when I walk in a room and people turn to a friend and whisper, then look in my general direction . . . I have to wonder. And I'm 40-freakin' years old!
    "The passion for freedom of the mind is strong and everlasting, which is fortunate, because so is the passion to squelch it." A. M. Rosenthal

"When you doubt your power, you give power to your doubt." Wes Studi as The Sphinx, Mystery Men

One more thing to remember. There is no such thing as emotional intelligence. Always seek help.

Emotional problems do not have a right reaction. You need to deal with it using the resources you have. If there is a bully confess it. A person on the internet then just tell people about it, let them know. There will be a professional with better advice, but that helps. Also in my experience aggression makes things complicated. There's not right emotion. You mut get help with a soscial agent which is the nearest person to you such as family.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; October 21st, 2016 at 06:05 PM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

That's the thing, though. There are some whose mental/emotional well-being is so off-kilter, they don't realize they NEED help. Even when you show them overwhelming evidence that they, in fact, DO.
    "The passion for freedom of the mind is strong and everlasting, which is fortunate, because so is the passion to squelch it." A. M. Rosenthal

"When you doubt your power, you give power to your doubt." Wes Studi as The Sphinx, Mystery Men

The thing is with any internal emotion, you should never internalize it, or "bottle it up" as I would say. It may feel comfortable and make you feel good to mask your emotions, but that mask is always temporary. You need to open the bottle up to someone who cares about you and can help you. Otherwise it's unhealthy and will hurt you. It's always good to tell someone you trust how you are truly feeling inside if your are sad or depressed. I've seen depression eat people alive because they choose to bottle their emotions inside of themselves and mask it with an "I'm okay." If you can't talk to someone, have a conversation with a mirror, anything to get that feeling off your chest in a healthy way. The best way to help is to have someone there for you in your worst.
    "He slides into second with a stand-up double." - Jerry Coleman
    "Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth." - Lou Gehrig
    "After Jackie Robinson, the most important black in baseball history is Reggie Jackson." - Reggie Jackson
    "Your Holiness, I'm Joe Medwick. I, too, used to be a Cardinal." - Joe Medwick to Pope Pius XII
    "I think Tim Wakefield would even say tonight that Tim Wakefield got to Tim Wakefield tonight." - Tim McCarver

Sure thing, I get why many resent American governments for sometimes giving the impression of being a self-appointed world policeman, but that's not universal - nor is it a reflection on individual Americans. As a Brit, I sometimes have this too when Britain's colonial past is dragged up for someone to make a cheap jibe.
    I just laugh at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    Sure thing, I get why many resent American governments for sometimes giving the impression of being a self-appointed world policeman, but that's not universal - nor is it a reflection on individual Americans. As a Brit, I sometimes have this too when Britain's colonial past is dragged up for someone to make a cheap jibe.
    I just laugh at them.
    Oh believe me, even I am baffled at the decisions made by my nation's government -- and don't get me started on the elections. Hoo boy! D: But I guess what happened was that this guy was targeting individual Americans and calling them monsters, and it left an impression on me. As a young person I didn't really understand why nor did I know how to respond appropriately. I just knew that this guy had a severe axe to grind against Americans and kept targeting the American members of the forums.

Just to put it on record: I like you Brits. I think you're pretty awesome. And this guy didn't really ruin me forever, it just took years for me to get over it after I left the forums. Guess cyber-bullying can hurt just as much as physical bullying. I'm curious, is it possible to keep yourself from healing? As in, not letting go of the old pain -- using it as an excuse for why you can't do this or that? If it's possible, why do people do that?

We've all have had our crosses to bear I think.

I've had my own moments with depression. My childhood wasn't the greatest. I'm a child of divorce. (though it pales to some of what others went through). I'm 54 now, and I believe if I had been diagnosed at four years old today instead of in 1966, they probably would have classified me as mildly autistic. Instead they classified me as borderline retarded (that was the term at the time). The other neighborhood kids got wind of it somehow and I had to endure taunts of being called retarded for a while. Even after we moved and I was going to regular classes, I still had to deal with bullying until, by some miracle and maybe the fact that I did very well in school, I ended up becoming the most popular kid in my fifth grade class. I guess strange things can happen sometimes.

But the depression carried me into adulthood. Sometimes, I'd even feel suicidal. I feel like I've accomplished nothing at times. The epitaph on my tombstone will probably read something like- Here lies Mrmustard615, who was once a major presence on WF and nothing more.

So, I guess that's why WF is so special to me. I feel like I'm in a community where I really belong. I don't know how long it will last; things change after all.

But, like my fifth and sixth grade classes, WF will always have a special place in my heart where I found a sliver of happiness.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

I've found it's important to find a purpose in life - why am I here? In my case, it's taking care of a sick wife. With Chron's disease, anemia, restless leg, and some others, she isn't capable of doing things she used to do. Sometimes this is hard to figure out, and many times we feel utterly useless. It's something to think about, but often it's the only thing that keeps me going.

Otherwise, it's writing of course, and this site has helped a lot. I've written a lot about my struggles in the non fiction sections, hope to write more. Animal companions also help (hugging a warm puppy or cat can make you forget your pain, if for only a moment).

Hang in there, people.

Tony
    "Self-righteousness never straddles the political fence."

Midnightpoet

"The bible says to love your neighbor. It's obvious that over the centuries it has been interpreted as the opposite."
    (sarcasm alert)

Midnightpoet

Hidden Content Hidden Content