Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26282930313233343536

Thread: The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!)

Blog Entries
    present sharing:

A poem by K. Dabrowski.

"Be greeted psychoneurotics!

For you see sensitivity in the insensitivity of the world,
    uncertainty among the world's certainties.

For you often feel others as you feel yourselves.

For you feel the anxiety of the world, and
    its bottomless narrowness and self-assurance.

For your phobia of washing your hands from the dirt of the world,
    for your fear of being locked in the world’s limitations.
    for your fear of the absurdity of existence.

For your subtlety in not telling others what you see in them.

For your awkwardness in dealing with practical things, and
    for your practicalness in dealing with unknown things,
    for your transcendental realism and lack of everyday realism,
    for your exclusiveness and fear of losing close friends,
    for your creativity and ecstasy,
    for your maladjustment to that "which is" and adjustment to that which "ought to be",
    for your great but unutilized abilities.

For the belated appreciation of the real value of your greatness
    which never allows the appreciation of the greatness
    of those who will come after you.

For your being treated instead of treating others,
    for your heavenly power being forever pushed down by brutal force;
    for that which is prescient, unsaid, infinite in you.

For the loneliness and strangeness of your ways.

Be greeted!

From: Dabrowski, K. (1972) Psychoneurosis is not an illness, London: GRYF Publications.
    found on cassiopaea, not vetted
    but thoroghly enjoyed

I am losing apart of myself, and I have no idea if I can stop it. In these past two weeks I have lost my aunt, I've started to lose my hair, and I lost my pet Mystery snail Toby. I guess the hair is like a last straw for me. When I hated my body I still loved my hair. When I hated myself, at least my hair was pretty. This is a big deal for me. It hurts. I'm a 20 year old female. I keep telling myself this shouldn't be happening. Maybe the doctors will be able to help. Honestly, I feel so lost, and I keep crying. Bald spots in my hair.... It's heartbreaking.

~Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.~
    - John Bender, The Breakfat Club

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time. Have you been to see a doctor yet, about your hair?

Just wanted to share some recent experience in case anyone here finds it useful or relevant to their own situation regarding mental health.

Always thought of myself as a sane, rational person. The challenges that presented themselves throughout my life have been dealt with in more or less the same way, which worked out fine for thirty-odd years. This past year, however, really became a defining era in my realm, with the return of my wife's cancer.

To make a long story shorter, I climbed out of bed one day in late May and realized that I'd been self-medicating again and it wasn't helping. When I closed my eyes, the black inner space of my mind contained no focus, and from one eye to the other it felt 'off'. Thoughts came at random and seemed to have no coherence. With effort I could perform the necessary functions to live, but I was losing my grasp on reality or something akin to that. I had the overwhelming urge to seek help, and I did.

Through my company, there's a program called EAP, or Employee Assistance Program. I called in, got an appointment with a psychologist, right down the road here in my town. It was a very positive experience, as this man (PhD with over thirty years' in the field) had many techniques to offer me in dealing with the mounting pressures. His practice centered around mindfulness, which I have studied and tried to incorporate into my life for years, and this fit well with my needs, so I visited him five times throughout the month of June (all paid for through my company's EAP) and haven't had a drink since May 25.

Once the sessions with Dr. Q were over, I had much to think about and reflect on, and new techniques to try out. I was meditating regularly (which sounds so bloody hipster I can hardly stand it) and allowing thoughts to come and go of their own accord, rather than driving myself crazy trying to 'fix' everything and be in 'control'. This made a huge difference in clarity and peace, internally.

During this time I also discovered the concept of minimalism. There are many resources on the web, but essentially I found some podcasts and lectures by various folk, mainly centered around not allowing material things to take precedence in my life and to seek out more enhanced ways of finding something akin to purpose. Meaningfulness as an antidote to existential angst. Helping other people and not being so damn selfish. Without hyperbole, I can tell you this is the most important lesson that has ever been revealed to me.

With the jettisoning of most of my possessions, the purge of things I'd clung to for decades, came a real sense of enhanced 'bandwidth' inside my consciousness. It's the only way to describe the feeling, and it's been remarkable. I have not been so concerned with 'things' and the memories they contained. With the clearing of all the stuff, I also have been able to maintain a less cluttered space around me. I have not purchased anything since embarking on this minimalist voyage, but when I do, it will be only something useful and necessary.

For Father's Day I requested that my little herd not buy me anything, so instead of material things they found a gift card for a local sensory deprivation tank 'float center', which I had been wanting to try for years. I went for my first float back in July. I could prattle on about the experience, but I will spare you and just say it was profound and further helped me build back the foundation of mental clarity and peace that I had been seeking. I've been seven times now, as of Sunday afternoon, and found great value in disappearing for a couple hours to cultivate that peaceful state and work through the things in my mind that have bothered me for so long. It's been quite remarkable.

Lastly, I stumbled across this professor from Canada who's lectures and podcasts are accessible on the interwebs, and his work really resonated strongly with me. He's focused primarily on the concept of right and wrong, morality as it relates to personal responsibility. There's a program he and some colleagues invented called "Self-Authoring" which I undertook a few weeks back, which was another huge development in trying to build up a foundation of inner strength from which to launch.

With the challenges in my wife's health (stage 4 cancer), the challenges and opportunities in my work life (more to come on that, but let's just say massive and high-profile projects in which I am front and center), and my propensity through the years to hide from my problems, this summer's developments in my mental health have been quite welcome. I have been able to approach things from a much different perspective and feel strong again, feel the remaining vigor of youth in my body again, and have enjoyed a regaining of clarity in the realm of my mind. I believe perhaps this is all coming full-circle so that I can be equipped to deal with what the next couple of years mean for my family, and I feel ready.

It's taken some work, though.

Thanks for reading, and I wish you all the best in grappling with whatever challenges you face.
    Embrace Impermanence.

Blog Entries
    I wrote recently of possibly (more like probably) having a form of Asperger's, now they think I may also have ADHD. With the mounting pressures of my wife's illness and increase in responsibility, I've come close to falling apart. I'd say why did it take 73 years to figure these things out, but it's probably my own fault for nor staying with mental health professionals long enough. Still, finding out these things has helped my relationship with my wife, who has struggled for 38 years trying to understand me. Funny though, it only took two sessions for a mental health nurse to figure things out.
    "The paths of glory lead but to the grave"

Thomas Gray

"Oh, ye generation of vipers."

Jesus

"You that never done nothing
    but build to destroy
    you play with my world
    like it's your little toy..."

"Masters of War
    Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Sebald View Post
    Sorry to hear you're having a hard time. Have you been to see a doctor yet, about your hair?
    I'm working on it. Most of the hair loss has been in two days.

~Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.~
    - John Bender, The Breakfat Club

Quote Originally Posted by lzbeth97 View Post
    I'm working on it. Most of the hair loss has been in two days.
    Try not to worry. It could have many minor causes, and should be temporary. I'm sure your doctor will be able go set your mind at rest.