The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!) - Page 2

Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 123456789101252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!)

This is a great idea for a thread.
    Like many, I haven't had a trouble-free life and did have therapeutic help way back for difficulties that refused to have a specific label. From what I know now, I would say that I spent a year or so as an unmedicated, borderline psychotic, walking the tightrope as it were. As I pieced together the past, it made more sense, and I very slowly pulled away from it. Some time after, I did work in a mental health establishment for a few months. In hindsight, I wasn't ready. It was actually a relief when the receivers came in and made cuts - especially as I was one of those cuts.
    I'm not complacent. I keep my life relatively simple as I would prefer to err on the side of caution. There can be much beauty in simplicity.

I have anxiety issues sometimes and when I get stressed it get worse and I can't write as my mind is so busy and tired.

the best question i asked myself when in hospital was...am i depressed or disappointed with my life and found that the two topics were so intertwined for me that it gave me the starting point of getting through it all.....
    The only one who can heal you is you.

<takes a deep breath>

OK, folks...time for you to peer deeply into the darkest recesses of my mind...

Prepare yourself. This is a doozy...
    -----
    Long story short, I was cyber-bullied when I was in high school. The history forum I often so complained about, that's where I was cyber-bullied. By a British man old enough to be my father (56 at the time), who kept giving me crap because I was American. Saying that because I was American, I had no right to an opinion, that I lacked the capacity to even hold an opinion, that, to quote him, “There is no removing the glasses of arrogance from the Americans.” Would go on anti-American rants whenever he had the chance, no matter the subject. It could've been about what underwear George Washington wore, and he'd still find some way to ram in a rant about how Americans were the scum of the Earth, and he would play the victim whenever he was called out on it, claiming it was an American bias against him.

I didn't think that would affect me, but apparently it did. In short, any perceived slight against Americans or the US sparked off my fight-or-flight response and gave me flashbacks to that British guy I hadn't talked to years now. Made me ashamed to want to write stories set in America about Americans. This guy really kind of effed up everything to be honest... He was the reason I left the forum in the first place. It used to be a great place for me, a place for me to learn about history...until he ruined it.

To sum up: I'm tired of having this feeling. I'm tired of holding a grudge against some dude I've not talked to in years -- tired of carrying this grudge. Tired of not being able to create non-American characters set in our world because I keep hearing this guy in the back of my head, feeling him taking them over like a dark force overtaking their minds, forcing them to become his voice rather than their own, making them go on anti-American rants even when -- in character -- they probably wouldn't have cared. I can't even do a mystery series I've toyed with for so long because my main character (a Canadian) is being overtaken by this guy's voice -- by my memory of this guy. That's kind of why I've mainly been doing my fantasy. At least then I could pretend he isn't there. And the reason I neglected Amos, my Colonial detective for so long...

...Because, y'know, the American Revolution and all of that... I can already hear him going, “Typical American arrogance; they think they're so important!!”

But beyond that, I can't even have Helen Chert, my sci-fi protagonist, develop a relationship with an American commander without this guy whispering “Why would she?” in the back of my mind. Or God forbids if she wanted to visit his hometown of Gettysburg during her off-periods. That little voice -- in that old man's voice -- tells me that shouldn't be allowed.

Creative writing aside, I found this has done severe damage in other places. Just today I found this odd, if not nice Youtube video run by Canadians who wanted to cheer the Yanks up (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=stGhjokq57U​) with videos about the good things we can do and have done. That inner voice asks me how that's even possible. Why would they do this? Why would they want to do this? The idea that they are just nice, generally decent people doesn't even occur to that voice. NO!! They hate America, Americans, and wish us all to die horrid, painful deaths because we're monsters! It tells me I'm not allowed to be happy because I'm American. I'm not allowed to be proud of the good things my country has done.

It's.... God, it's all fucked up, but...that's what I wanted to put out on this thread. How a cyber bully completely ruined me.

Wow -- it's people like that guy that give their own kind a bad name, y'know? Sorry to hear you had to put up with that. I know something like that sticks with you. The greatest revenge you can have on this guy for his stupid logic and inhuman behavior to keep on keeping on. Which, I know, is often easier said than done. I have my own issues in that regard.

I'm grateful that this thread exists -- wish I'd discovered it yesterday. For the past several days I've been feeling this rotating order of frustrated-anxious-depressed-apathetic about life, and then feeling all of those things BECAUSE I feel that way. If that makes sense. I know WHY it's happening, but that doesn't make it any easier to counter. I recently turned 40 and I believe (based on other, more physical, indicators) that I am either on the cusp of or in the throes of "The Change." Yeah. My mom started it when she was 38, as did my grandmother. So genetics is on its side, in that regard. I haven't written in over a week and a half -- REALLY written. I've jotted down notes and sat down to try to flesh some things out but I just can't get INTO it like I normally do. Which is super-duper depressing and troubling.

Not to mention, I'm just having a lot of doubts right now about the quality of my work -- even in its roughest state right now. Are my characters real, believable? Do my conflicts energize the story itself or will the reader be like, "Seriously? That's what they're getting bent out of shape over?" So this is disconcerting and amplifies all the negative feelings I've got going on. And the logical side of me says that this is all stuff I can work out in the rewrites and edits. Like Hemingway said, "The first draft is shit," right?

But Logic and its twin, Reason, are not the loudest voices in my head right now.
    "The passion for freedom of the mind is strong and everlasting, which is fortunate, because so is the passion to squelch it." A. M. Rosenthal

"When you doubt your power, you give power to your doubt." Wes Studi as The Sphinx, Mystery Men

To the green shield I feel sorry for you and want to mention that I went through a similar ordeal. I will talk about it when I get to my computer as I am posting from a tablet. I feel as I can give advice since this was part of my life.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Shield View Post
    <takes a deep breath>

OK, folks...time for you to peer deeply into the darkest recesses of my mind...

Prepare yourself. This is a doozy...
    -----

It's.... God, it's all fucked up, but...that's what I wanted to put out on this thread. How a cyber bully completely ruined me.
    Gosh, that's shameful. It irks me greatly, as a British person, when Brits go on about Americans in that sort of negative way but I'll tell you now: it's jealousy, pure and simple. America is cool, end of. It has a fantastic, positive mentality and tons of neat sh*t. Yes, it - like any other country - has issues, and many of them. So does Britain. So does Lichtenstein (which you can hire out, incidentally. Yes; you can hire out the entire country of Lichtenstein for 30,000 per night! Minimum of two nights. Terms and conditions apply) It's such a shame because Britain has a great deal going for it too. One thing I love about Britain is the way everything we do is shot through with humour, but berks like your cyberbully just ruin everything for everyone.
    Last edited by bdcharles; October 20th, 2016 at 07:24 AM.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Quote Originally Posted by msjhord View Post
    Do my conflicts energize the story itself or will the reader be like, "Seriously? That's what they're getting bent out of shape over?".
    Haha I am so familiar with this worry

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

tributes on the radio today about a Liverpool Legend who had some great advice his mother gave him when he was depressed..it might seem a trivial thing but it helped me

" Life is infront of the curtains and not behind them."
    The only one who can heal you is you.

I can't share my past like the greenshield since I think it would make me look bad because of personal reasons I will keep private and the information is too personal about the information of my past which is best kept private. Instead I will focus on the merits on what I have heard and seen and works in practice.

Advice:
    Always ask your children after school to talk about their day and encourage it. It will let you know if they hide things. It will also mean that you can get to know them well. The internet hides trolls. The school environment can be unforgiving. Social time makes people healthy. Spend time with your children. Nurter and talk to them. And also be sure you know you can make a difference. Dont forget about them because of overworking you can ignore your children.

I will always recommend to send your child to a child psychologist, and let them interview them of how their day went. The usual questions for warning signs such as: is there a bully, are the children bothering you? But the parent does the first job, and psychologists are another security measure. Don't let them skip the details. Don't punish your kids with violence. Instead try rewarding them with something.

Dont ever let your children get depressed for long periods of time since that leads to more terrible diseases.

If you go to a psychiatrist go to ones that have a education in uk or spain. My doctor recommends them since american doctors dont experiment enough with treatment. They have a different schooling, program, curriculum and philosophy. My doctor is credited in the USA . He was second in his class. I owe too much to his work and to the way I do think the way I do now.

Don't expose your children to too much free time on tv and keep it supervised is my advice. This is my theory since there are programs that are rated. Make sure the content is family friendly.

Give your kids a hobby and encourage them.

That is all for now.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; October 21st, 2016 at 02:13 AM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)