The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!)

Page 1 of 57 1234567891151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!)

The Official Writing Forums Mental Health Support Thread (READ RULES FIRST!!!)

Welcome to the official Writing Forums Mental Health Support thread! Here is a place to learn, share, and support others with mental disorders of any and all types and degrees. Here are some rules before we begin:
    #1- No Debates!
    Whether you think mental disorders are real or not, whether you think those with mental disorders are just seeking attention or whatever... that has no place here. This is a support/help thread only. If you want a debate, then I suggest you go find yourself another forum. Any who break this rule will be dealt with.

#1.5- Don't Be an Asshole!
    While I trust this rule is understood, I feel I must make a mention of it. This is a support thread, not a joke thread. If someone says they're hearing nasty voices in their head and you reply with something like, "Are they telling you to kill people" or some shit like that, you're being an asshole and we mods will eviscerate you accordingly.

#2- We're not doctors!
    Even if some of us have medical licenses, it's probably (most likely) unlawful and amoral for us to give you medical advice such as, "Take xyz pills" because you're not our medical client. We can provide you with discussion tips for you to share with your doctors but that's the extent of it.

#3- Everyone is suffering their personal battle.
    Just because you might have it easier or worse than the other person doesn't entitle you to the right to treat them like crap. I don't want to read something like, "Oh boo-hoo, you have mild anxiety? I have voices in my head telling me to kill myself. You've got it easy, pal." None of us here want to have a brain whose goal in life is to screw with us.

#3.5- Everyone has a different experience!!
    I must stress this: We all have our own personal experience with our mental disorder. What works for one person may not work for another. Don't be an arrogant, stuck-up asswipe by saying things like, "I don't understand why xyz doesn't work for you. It works just fine for me." This is a no-no, and will result in your ass being beaten with no mercy.

#4- Feel free to ask questions!
    I want this thread to also spread awareness for mental health, so if you've got questions regarding a mental disorder (even if you don't have one), feel free to drop a question in. Don't be shy, just know that some might not feel comfortable talking about it which is OK for both parties. Trust me. The more people know about the various mental disorders, the less frequent the stereotypes.

Come, come, don't be afraid to post. We're all equals here -- come and relax, discuss and support.

been to a few events this month with it being mental health awareness October in Liverpool with all different events and stuff going on...been to view a few short films by people and a Walt Disney animated film about a young girl moving to a new town and how her mind coped with it all..but the best one was a viewing of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest with a talk about out patients and their experiences..i really enjoy going to positive and understanding events that bring all types of people together.....rock n roll man

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Liverpool-mental-health-festival-300x157.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	15750
    Last edited by escorial; October 16th, 2016 at 04:41 PM.
    The only one who can heal you is you.

I know I personally would have used this thread years ago. I am glad we're finally opening up with a thread to share thoughts, feelings and concerns. This is one step closer to effective communication for our diversified writing community. Guys, we might be a bunch of random strangers sharing the same interests but in the end - we're one big family with creative minds. The most effective way to release bottled feelings is to write. Not only will this help you express, but writing is very therapeutic. There are a few confidential platforms to reflect and express independently. I have suggested these before - The Quiet Place. I am not sure what the other place was called. You could type whatever you want and the words would fall to the bottom of the page to disappear.

Anyway, as always, stay strong and know we're here to help.

Anthony
    New Writers' Mentor

Blog Entries
    This is amazing, thank you The green shield, I wish that i had had a thread like this a long time ago, it is wonderful for people to have a place where they can feel listened too and understood, a place where they can go to when things get bad and be supported, so once again thank you.

And prinz you are right we really are one big family here

Stay strong and lean on each other-is a lesson I had to learn the hard way, even though you may feel alone remember we are here.
    Fancy joining a photgraphy group? The check out the Hidden Content group.

Visit My Blog to get to know me better.Hidden Content Hidden Content A fun group of like minded new writers.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content A place for young writers to talk and chill.

Why not check out the Hidden Content and join in the latest challenge discussions.

hi. i'm dale. (hi dale)
    and i am a certified sociopathic nutcase.
    (hi dale)
    i'd like to thank my ex-wives, cocaine, alcohol, and a childhood dog named "alfred" for this award.
    (hi dale)
    i also think insanity is contagious. so if you read this? welcome to the club.
    (hi dale)
    oh. and sometimes i'm jewish and hate jews.
    (hi dale)

thank you for your support.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.

That's okay. I'm human and I don't like human beings (sometimes)

This thread, I believe, was a long time coming. We have had many a thread about depression on this forum so it's about time we have one specifically as a support group for those that may have a hard time coping for whatever reasons. I echo everything Greenie has said and while there is no way we can cure anybody, anyone who does post in here can know that they're not alone.
    Hidden Content

Hey, check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

And twice a week I'm posting my memoirs of Mom for anyone who wants to take a look

Hidden Content

As I've mentioned in my blog here on depression, one of the best ways (at least for me) to cope is take things one day at a time - which I'll admit is a horrible cliche, except when it works. I deliberately try to forget the past, which can irritate my wife, but there are some things that are so painful to me if I don't I'll have a depressive episode. I have other issues, and I've been in personal and group therapy several times in my life - and in my case I'm not sure they helped; however, I want to emphasize, as stated in the rules above, that everyone has their own way to cope and what works for one may not work for another. Just writing about my problems here has helped me cope with them, and wish everyone here happiness.
    "Self-righteousness never straddles the political fence."

Midnightpoet

"The bible says to love your neighbor. It's obvious that over the centuries it has been interpreted as the opposite."
    (sarcasm alert)

Midnightpoet

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post
    That's okay. I'm human and I don't like human beings (sometimes)

This thread, I believe, was a long time coming. We have had many a thread about depression on this forum so it's about time we have one specifically as a support group for those that may have a hard time coping for whatever reasons. I echo everything Greenie has said and while there is no way we can cure anybody, anyone who does post in here can know that they're not alone.

..there are so many levels of mental torture out there that a thread like this will have some solid, helpful, sharing and caring words of support that could make a big difference..

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    ..there are so many levels of mental torture out there that a thread like this will have some solid, helpful, sharing and caring words of support that could make a big difference..
    Believe me, I know this all too well. With my mental torture, it's like there's a nagging voice repeatedly prodding me in the brain with disturbing messages or images and calling me a monster/freak for having it*. Or, if I'm worried about something in real life, it'll grind on that endlessly. Even just ignoring it is exhausting as I know it's still there! It's like trying to ignore a small child who keeps singing 'It's A Small World After All' without pause or stopping.

* Here's an exercise. See the guy in my avatar? I want you to imagine him naked. Absolutely naked with a birthday party hat on his head. And he's with Toph, Sokka, Katara, and Aang. Have that image in your head now? This is what my anxiety would tell me:

"Ew, naked Zuko? Why are you thinking about that? You disgusting sicko!"
    "Stop thinking about naked Zuko!"
    "You're a pervert."
    "You monster."
    "No one would like you if they knew what you think."
    <materializes a guitar for Zuko to play> "YOU ARE A SICKO, GREENIE!"

TGS..no one can ever come close to knowing,feeling anothers persons state of mind and it's a very singular thing for the most part mental anguish...professionals are not ready to admit that what the vast majority of people go through is a total personal experience that can be masked with drugs but ultimitley the person suffering must find their way of coping and getting through it..depression kills on a regular basis and finding your coping startergy is the best way out...I hear what your saying man and it's great your out there with it....one day lad...

Page 1 of 57 1234567891151 ... LastLast